Wiki Posts
Search

Electric vs nitro discussion

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2011, 09:53 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Yosh70
I understand what you're saying....but I'm staying where I am.

I will never go nitro....started off electric and will stay that way.

But I get kinda irritated when the nitro only guys quote these big prices on what components cost.

A good Castle system from Amain for 1/8 buggy/truggy is $270. I picked up a MMM ESC for $144 shipped from them and bought a 1800Kv motor direct from Castle for $80 shipped. Far cry from $330 which is probably a Tekin system that someone quoted.

A decent AC/DC charger is $200. A Turnigy Nanotech 5000Mah 4S lipo from HobbyKing is only $54. If people want to spend $200 on a comparable battery from Maxamps, then thats their decision.

But dont scare others into thinking thats what they have to pay to get into this hobby.
And the stories of smoking ESC's and flaming lipo's, you all know that the handful of people (compared to the 1000's that work flawlessly) that post their tale dont tell the whole story most of the time. I mean, its not like a nitro RC can go up in flames, can they?

You guys really dont want to brag about how your nitro are better than electric and the costs involved between each anyways. When you add it all up, its probably very similar.

Lets see, we only have to buy 1 servo.
There's no tuning involved when the outside temperature changes.
Brake setup, click of the mouse away when programming.
Starter box? Whats that? Glow plug? I dont have a diesel!
Warm up time? Wtf, I'm ready to go.
Want a trial run in your house? No prob, even the wife cant smell an electric.
Instantaneous torque? Check. Breakneck speeds? You bet.
Noise bylaw? Yep, it passes.

And to those that want to argue that nitro is more "realistic" because of the sound of the engine, when's the last time you heard a 1:1 Monster truck that sounds like angry bees? I mean, come on.

There, I feel better now.
Sorry bro, nitro is better than electric from my standpoint. I run both(electric SC 2wd and 4wd 10th scale) and nitro(8th scale buggy/truggy/MT). The most fun for me is nitro and IMO it takes more skill as well, especially with set up. Nitro/electric honestly both cost about the same to get into using good equipment, but nitro is alot more involved on roller setup and tuning. Plus as others have stated, the sound and smell are addicting qualities I like, then add the fact that 8th scale electric doesnt have much of a following, the majority in 8th scale run nitro and thats where the party is at.
Old 04-02-2011, 09:57 AM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 202 (96%+)

Originally Posted by Yosh70
Yea ok hustler....mid 90's electric isnt even close to what it is today.

And inferno is commenting on electric RC's based on what on his 5 yr old daughter drives? Awesome.

Your arguments are pretty futile.....I'm sure you guys can come up with something better.
Bet my daughters 1/8 electric is better than most! plus i was only kidding, she's 14....
Old 04-02-2011, 10:12 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

To me most of the fun besides actually driving comes from tuning engines and messing with clutches. I love working on pit strategy and trying to squeeze more time out of a tank than my competitors can. I just love working on and running nitro engines. That's something that can never be replaced.

I also like long races. Honestly I don't think I could live with running 10 minute mains every time I raced. It just isn't worth it. Not enough track time. Not enough time to actually get into the race and into a rhythm. No pit stops to make things interesting. No reward for a good pit strategy. No reward for having a car that can withstand 30-45 minutes of straight abuse. To me those things make racing much more interesting. It isn't all about the driving. There's more variables when running nitro and when you get them all right it is much more rewarding.

Electric cars are a lot of fun to drive, but they will never replace nitro. They're just too fake. Nitro cars are real.
Old 04-02-2011, 10:15 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 207 (100%+)

nitro takes more skill than electric? LMAO!

wow....I NEVER thought I would hear anyone say that
Old 04-02-2011, 10:27 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Trevor Williams

It sure does, engine/pipe tuning, clutch tuning, brake bias etc. There is alot more involved.
Old 04-02-2011, 10:31 AM
Tech Master

With driving skills excluded technically it does.........more variables, with electric ur brain gets to work less.... no checking fuel mileage, not having to have any engine tuning skill, etc, etc.

Truthfully

Nitro = Apples
Electric = Oranges

They are both fun within their own respect.
Old 04-02-2011, 10:46 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 10 (92%+)

As a full time electric racer who's never run nitro I have a question for all you nitro guys. You have a sc10 with sidewinder sct esc castle 5700 and a Orion 3800 carbon fiber lipo

Should I trade for a 2.0 buggy with novarossi .21 with a jp3 pipe and airtronics servos?

Should I do it
Old 04-02-2011, 10:56 AM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 202 (96%+)

Originally Posted by TTKDracing
As a full time electric racer who's never run nitro I have a question for all you nitro guys. You have a sc10 with sidewinder sct esc castle 5700 and a Orion 3800 carbon fiber lipo

Should I trade for a 2.0 buggy with novarossi .21 with a jp3 pipe and airtronics servos?

Should I do it
heck ya!! get rid of that electric toy
Old 04-02-2011, 11:42 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

After opening my big mouth with nothing but stupidity coming out of it , whatever brings racers to the tracks to keep them open is fine with me.
Old 04-02-2011, 11:50 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

Nitro is just a straight mess, and smells like @$$! Electric is much neater. Especially since I have limited storage for these...electric is wayyy more convenient and more hassle free. People will say I prefer electric "because I lack tuning skills", but really I just do not have the time to sit and tune something for hours when I can go electric, get the same speeds (actually faster) and have one less thing to worry about in my day...ie the tuning aspect!! If I had hours upon hours to sit around...maybe I would sing another tune...but probably not! Just my 2 cents...

VS
Old 04-02-2011, 11:51 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 207 (100%+)

try a 2wd mod buggy, or even stock spec 17.5 for that matter....then tell me which takes more skill to drive
Old 04-02-2011, 12:44 PM
Tech Adept

Electric refines your nitro skills and it's a good way to pass time at races especially if your the last heat on a 25 heat race day
Old 04-02-2011, 01:14 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by vstrok
Nitro is just a straight mess, and smells like @$$! Electric is much neater. Especially since I have limited storage for these...electric is wayyy more convenient and more hassle free. People will say I prefer electric "because I lack tuning skills", but really I just do not have the time to sit and tune something for hours when I can go electric, get the same speeds (actually faster) and have one less thing to worry about in my day...ie the tuning aspect!! If I had hours upon hours to sit around...maybe I would sing another tune...but probably not! Just my 2 cents...
I'd hate to see you go to any NASCAR/NHRA/IRL race weekend, their fuel is much more potent than that used by any RC Nitro vehicle.

I'm in the same boat as you, I haven't had a chance to clean my buggy from a race that was over a month ago, but I still prefer to run Nitro 'cause electric just doesn't excite my senses like good old glow fuel does.

try a 2wd mod buggy, or even stock spec 17.5 for that matter....then tell me which takes more skill to drive
Remember 1/10 Gas Truck? Drove one once, insane how much power that tiny engine had.
Old 04-02-2011, 01:16 PM
Tech Prophet

man get rid of this tread its just turning into a bash fest
everytime theres a tread on the nitro vs electric.
Old 04-02-2011, 01:18 PM
Tech Prophet

Originally Posted by ALF420
I would never thought guy's with knowledge would post electric is just plug & play so there diff just plug in the shock re builds just plug in and I bet they solider them self to or just plug in the iron all done by its self. with all due respect a 7yr old can tune a nitro motor it KILL ME to see a guy that thinks he can tune a motor and NO ONE else cant wrong come on dude its very simple to tune a high & low speed needle metering vale its not rocket science with all the forums & youtube a monkey can tune a nitro motor now days...

I think why some nitro guys dis like electric because they can send there nitro motor to ANY motor guy to get it modded then some guy show up with a Taiwan electric can and it SPANKS there nitro all over the track SORRY thats just electric power it faster SORRY still there no reason to say they have less skills and its a brain dead class guys plug & play I THINK NOT

Electric & Lipo is here to stay so get over it or at least get use to it at most tracks E-Buggy is the fast class WE should be descusing the pros & cons of the nitro & electric not yours is better than my class and if you dont run what I run you have plug & play skills total BS

well you say theres all these 1/8 e well not at my outdoor offroad track .
so its not at every track.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.