Electric vs nitro discussion

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2011, 01:05 PM
Tech Prophet

Originally Posted by TTKDracing
Charging batts at the track free

Gallon of fuel 35-40 bucks

I don't understand

it depends on what your state sales tax is my lhs in pa sells byrons 2000 25% for $25.00 a gallon to $28.00 a gallon.

i only run one 1/8 and thats truggy if you run two 1/8 classes thats a diffrence story i cant even keep on on one
Old 04-01-2011, 01:06 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 10 (92%+)

Other than fuel how much does it cost you guys to maintain your engines?
Old 04-01-2011, 01:08 PM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 202 (96%+)

Originally Posted by mgtmadness2007
I would rather go nitro.
For me Elec. would be way more expensive to start.
for I already have all my nitro stuff so all I would need would be the kit.
I already have engines, servos, fuel, and charger, and rec. batteries.

Elec. I would need it all, and not the cheap stuff. 330 dollar speed control motor combo, 300 dollar batteries(x2 packs), 250 dollar hyperion charger, power supply, lipo bags.480 dollar kit( or a conversion for one of my associateds)
exactly my thoughts, i have done alot of research on this, and a good, and i mean good race worthy electric buggy i would invest approx 1750.00, i have all i need in nitro stuff to last me the next 2 years. plus i have seen way to many electric go up in flames and end up a big melted peice of crap. now your back at square one, another approx 1750.00. for a new rig!....
Old 04-01-2011, 01:11 PM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 202 (96%+)

just glow plugs (4.00 to 10.00 each) and get a pinch after race season
(35.00). other than that its just mainly labor, after all it is a hobby
Old 04-01-2011, 01:15 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Not to be a troll, but why do we need yet another Nitro vs. Electric thread? Seriously, there's a new one going up every two weeks and each one has the same content, why do we need another one?

For the record, I go Nitro 'cause after working at a 1:1 track for 5 years, there's just no replacement for the noise and smells that can only come from internal combustion.
Old 04-01-2011, 01:16 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 10 (92%+)

Might have to give it a trythis season.. Always wanted to run nitro just never wanted to deal with the hassle anybody want a castle airtronics artr sc10
Old 04-01-2011, 01:53 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default Well

There is no doubt that electric is catching on pretty strong for the sportsman drivers. It helps guys who have trouble with engines and finishing races due to being too hard on their equipment or just don't have the time to work on their buggies because of work and that thing called life.....

Now don't get me wrong I am a nitro diehard.

I keep hearing how much cheaper it is to run electric, but then the guys talk about all the batteries they buy in one season. Ouch. that battery died, I'm trying this brand and that brand. My ESC fried, I have trouble seeing the cost difference. go look at the pit table of a die hard 1/8 electric racer, wow....

On the plus side it's nice to have a choice and a place for the guys who get stomped in expert buggy to battle with other racers on their skill level.
Old 04-01-2011, 02:04 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

As long as you take care of your stuff it will last a while just like anything you have. Just the plug every once in a while a fuel thats about it
Old 04-01-2011, 02:09 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

electric is not cheap. I spent about $1200.00 on my SC10 Factory team. including batteries, charger, electronics. NOT including a radio and reciever.

this hobby isnt cheap, period. depends on what you wanna spend your money on.

Short Course tires are more expensive than 1/8 buggy tires.
Old 04-01-2011, 02:48 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Well I am a nitro guy, but my son is starting up so I am setting him up in an scrt10 and I don't find it cheap. I had a hard time picking components. I know the I can spend 200 on a nitro engine and get a season or 8 gals or so. I can spend 200 on an esc and everything I've read they go up in smoke or other issues regularly. Hope I'm wrong cause I have spent lots on his setup. gotta at least get a season out of the electronics or my wife is gonna kill me!
Old 04-01-2011, 03:16 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 76 (100%+)

I have nothing against electric, but I just dont like the way the 1/8e buggies sound on the track. Sounds like the drive train is gonna explode. 1/8 imo is meant for nitro, and the vehicles are designed for nitro. I say leave 1/10 for electric. Althou I do like the new losi 22 alot
Old 04-01-2011, 03:27 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 125 (100%+)

I like both. I have decided to install mechanical brakes and a clutch on my electric car. This should make it more fun to tweak on when I'm racing at the local indoor track.
Old 04-01-2011, 03:41 PM
Tech Master

I run both too. If you truly love this hobby, you should understand, try, and tune them both. Then, you can argue which one is better imo.
Old 04-01-2011, 05:48 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by tony montana
I have nothing against electric, but I just dont like the way the 1/8e buggies sound on the track. Sounds like the drive train is gonna explode. 1/8 imo is meant for nitro, and the vehicles are designed for nitro. I say leave 1/10 for electric. Althou I do like the new losi 22 alot
like a honda when its in reverse?

I dont like the way they sound either, but they're pretty damn quick
Old 04-01-2011, 05:50 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Originally Posted by redbones
I run both too. If you truly love this hobby, you should understand, try, and tune them both. Then, you can argue which one is better imo.
I understand what you're saying....but I'm staying where I am.

I will never go nitro....started off electric and will stay that way.

But I get kinda irritated when the nitro only guys quote these big prices on what components cost.

A good Castle system from Amain for 1/8 buggy/truggy is $270. I picked up a MMM ESC for $144 shipped from them and bought a 1800Kv motor direct from Castle for $80 shipped. Far cry from $330 which is probably a Tekin system that someone quoted.

A decent AC/DC charger is $200. A Turnigy Nanotech 5000Mah 4S lipo from HobbyKing is only $54. If people want to spend $200 on a comparable battery from Maxamps, then thats their decision.

But dont scare others into thinking thats what they have to pay to get into this hobby.
And the stories of smoking ESC's and flaming lipo's, you all know that the handful of people (compared to the 1000's that work flawlessly) that post their tale dont tell the whole story most of the time. I mean, its not like a nitro RC can go up in flames, can they?

You guys really dont want to brag about how your nitro are better than electric and the costs involved between each anyways. When you add it all up, its probably very similar.

Lets see, we only have to buy 1 servo.
There's no tuning involved when the outside temperature changes.
Brake setup, click of the mouse away when programming.
Starter box? Whats that? Glow plug? I dont have a diesel!
Warm up time? Wtf, I'm ready to go.
Want a trial run in your house? No prob, even the wife cant smell an electric.
Instantaneous torque? Check. Breakneck speeds? You bet.
Noise bylaw? Yep, it passes.

And to those that want to argue that nitro is more "realistic" because of the sound of the engine, when's the last time you heard a 1:1 Monster truck that sounds like angry bees? I mean, come on.

There, I feel better now.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.