R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 04-03-2011, 07:18 AM   #106
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 9 (85%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RePeTe View Post
Lap times at motoroma tell a diff story, so do the ones at Nitro Challenge. Infact at most major races, with few exceptions (like Florida races where you race on asphault with jumps), Nitro buggy are still faster over a timed lap.

E-buggies are getting closer with the purpose built buggies instead of conversions, but they need to shed some more weight. Ungodly power will only go so far.
Motorama I didn't no the pros even ran in the E-Class at motorama I was there 3-4 days not sure how i missed that Not to dis respect any E-drivers at motorama but that was some of the worst E races I had ever seen yes they were a hand full of good guys a Boat load of bad ones you cant judge E cars in rookie hands

Still doesn't change my main point E & LIPO is here to stay and is growing every day and why some think its bad or a NO brain plug & play class isn't a fair judgment I like them ALL & race them all Nitro is great so is the E-class after driving a E-rc it makes it so easy to drive my Nitro rc so I think by driving in the E-class only makes you a better racer in other classes more track time = Faster laps so race every class you can

The big picture I don't care if some one puts wheels on a turd if it make tracks & the hobby grow thats a good thing but we cant leave it at that it would be my turd stinks worst than your turd truly said I'm done with this useless tread
Old 04-03-2011, 12:29 PM   #107
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by endy0430 View Post
Nitro is just way better
You get my vote for best post of the year buddy. Your argumentative skills are second to none.
Old 04-03-2011, 01:09 PM   #108
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Yeah like because, dude.
Old 04-03-2011, 02:21 PM   #109
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

can someone add a poll to this thread?
drpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 03:04 PM   #110
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 25 (96%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yosh70 View Post
You get my vote for best post of the year buddy. Your argumentative skills are second to none.
Thank You...LOL
endy0430 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 03:16 PM   #111
Tech Initiate

Quote:

Someone should fix their sarcasm meter, it`s broken...

Just sayin`
Nitro2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 03:39 PM   #112
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Nitro Vs Elec vid - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NbhJdkcs3pk

Another vid http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ubhKlE5MdAo

Quote:
I understand what you're saying....but I'm staying where I am.

I will never go nitro....started off electric and will stay that way.

But I get kinda irritated when the nitro only guys quote these big prices on what components cost.

A good Castle system from Amain for 1/8 buggy/truggy is $270. I picked up a MMM ESC for $144 shipped from them and bought a 1800Kv motor direct from Castle for $80 shipped. Far cry from $330 which is probably a Tekin system that someone quoted.

A decent AC/DC charger is $200. A Turnigy Nanotech 5000Mah 4S lipo from HobbyKing is only $54. If people want to spend $200 on a comparable battery from Maxamps, then thats their decision.

But dont scare others into thinking thats what they have to pay to get into this hobby.
And the stories of smoking ESC's and flaming lipo's, you all know that the handful of people (compared to the 1000's that work flawlessly) that post their tale dont tell the whole story most of the time. I mean, its not like a nitro RC can go up in flames, can they?

You guys really dont want to brag about how your nitro are better than electric and the costs involved between each anyways. When you add it all up, its probably very similar.

Lets see, we only have to buy 1 servo.
There's no tuning involved when the outside temperature changes.
Brake setup, click of the mouse away when programming.
Starter box? Whats that? Glow plug? I dont have a diesel!
Warm up time? Wtf, I'm ready to go.
Want a trial run in your house? No prob, even the wife cant smell an electric.
Instantaneous torque? Check. Breakneck speeds? You bet.
Noise bylaw? Yep, it passes.

And to those that want to argue that nitro is more "realistic" because of the sound of the engine, when's the last time you heard a 1:1 Monster truck that sounds like angry bees? I mean, come on.

There, I feel better now.
Where is the "LIKE" Button?

There are objective and subjective points to all of this.

Cost: It could be settled with a shopping list of what exactly is needed for each level of usage.

Backyard running
Local weekend races
Nationally competitive races

My guess is it would be fairly similar with overall running costs only slightly higher for the smokers. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE the smell of Nitro. I grew up with it as both my Uncle and my Father had RC planes that were nitro. That smell brings back so many memories!

We're all in this for our own reasons. Those reasons (smell, sound, etc..) don't make one subjectively better than the other except in your own mind. Your reason for choosing one over the other doesn't necessarily make it better.

The topic title Electric Vs Nitro.
Are we talking out right performance?
Are we talking cost? If so, at what level?
Are we talking sights/sounds/feel-good reasons?

Each one can be argued until the sun goes down. Only a couple of them could actually be settled with facts.

The bottom line is it doesn’t really matter. As long as it brings folks together for racing, camaraderie and the general FUN and enjoyment of this thing most of us call a hobby!

Now, where did I put that credit card that my wife isn't aware of....
Kyosho Ultima RB5 SP2/Novak Kinetic, Thunder Power 13.5/JR z9100s
Kyosho 1987 Ultima Buggy-frankenstien. <-- Thinking about getting it going again.

Last edited by Buzz65; 04-03-2011 at 03:51 PM.
Buzz65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 03:59 PM   #113
Tech Champion

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzz65 View Post
Nitro Vs Elec vid - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NbhJdkcs3pk

Another vid http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ubhKlE5MdAo

Where is the "LIKE" Button?

There are objective and subjective points to all of this.

Cost: It could be settled with a shopping list of what exactly is needed for each level of usage.

Backyard running
Local weekend races
Nationally competitive races

My guess is it would be fairly similar with overall running costs only slightly higher for the smokers. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE the smell of Nitro. I grew up with it as both my Uncle and my Father had RC planes that were nitro. That smell brings back so many memories!

We're all in this for our own reasons. Those reasons (smell, sound, etc..) don't make one subjectively better than the other except in your own mind. Your reason for choosing one over the other doesn't necessarily make it better.

The topic title Electric Vs Nitro.
Are we talking out right performance?
Are we talking cost? If so, at what level?
Are we talking sights/sounds/feel-good reasons?

Each one can be argued until the sun goes down. Only a couple of them could actually be settled with facts.

The bottom line is it doesn’t really matter. As long as it brings folks together for racing, camaraderie and the general FUN and enjoyment of this thing most of us call a hobby!

Now, where did I put that credit card that my wife isn't aware of....

Good post ....but dam they couldn't have shown any more pathetic nitro's to compare against...That nitro truggy could barely get out of its own way !
Old 04-03-2011, 04:31 PM   #114

Location: a very small town in wisconsin that is in the middle of absolutely no where
Trader Rating: 57 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by drpower View Post
can someone add a poll to this thread?
only a moderator can make polls but we can not add a poll to an existing thread.. we can only make a new thread with 1 in it... jeremy
Jeremy Whiting - serpent america - desoto racing - apicco race engines - RcRenew - jconcepts - Rc Pro Products - ko propo eurus - ko propo servos - VP PowerMaster Fuels - Answer-rc usa - advantage racing products - Parma/pse bodies - serpent 811 2.1 - 811t
J.Whiting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 08:36 AM   #115
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maximo View Post
Good post ....but dam they couldn't have shown any more pathetic nitro's to compare against...That nitro truggy could barely get out of its own way !
.....+1 .... they picked 2 of the worst subjects for comparison
Old 04-04-2011, 11:40 AM   #116
Tech Rookie

I am a noob to this forum, but I have had a Nitro Rustler for several years. I just recently bought a Rustler XL5 and a Losi Mini D/T. If I just want to go out and drive I take one of the electrics, but if I plan on being out and really wanting speed I take my Nitro.
Losi Micro SCT <-- Now Brushless - Xcelorin 8750Kv
SmokeeJay is offline   Reply With Quote