R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 03-29-2011, 09:37 PM   #1
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to m0thertruckah1
Default thunder tiger st-1

anyone here have this or have experience with it?im lookin at the latest truggies and i came across this and its also have a good price.i kno thunder tiger is a good quality too but idk about this truggy..
Old 03-29-2011, 09:44 PM   #2
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

The last time I saw one of those has been 4 years ago I think. I watched Taylor James run it when he was with thunder tiger. I would'nt own it no matter what the price. They just arent around and they seem dated to be honest.
nitrosteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 10:02 PM   #3
Tech Prophet

yea man if you want to race at least thats really a outdated truggy.

if you really want support at most tracks in the northeast for setup help etc
get a losi 2.0 t or a associated rc8tce.

if your getting a new truggy a rc8tce gives you a way better deal if you want to get a roller and not a rtr truggy
tc5 man is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 11:09 PM   #4
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to m0thertruckah1

i just remembered this now that u guys said it..it was out 4yrs ago..yea i think its dated and i dont see a lot of posts about it..been asking around and in other forums they got mugen mbx5t like hopped up and all !but i remember when i had my mbx4 and was discontinued, the parts for mbx5 wont fit mbx4 .are the parts of mbx6t compatible with mbx5t?
Old 03-30-2011, 02:55 PM   #5
Tech Prophet

Quote:
Originally Posted by m0thertruckah1 View Post
i just remembered this now that u guys said it..it was out 4yrs ago..yea i think its dated and i dont see a lot of posts about it..been asking around and in other forums they got mugen mbx5t like hopped up and all !but i remember when i had my mbx4 and was discontinued, the parts for mbx5 wont fit mbx4 .are the parts of mbx6t compatible with mbx5t?

not sure on if the mbx6t parts will fit on the mbx5t i whould ask on the mugen mbx6t tread on here .

by the way there is a 2011 race tread for the hut on the racing forum .
tc5 man is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 04:15 PM   #6
Tech Fanatic

I really liked my TTR ST-1 Pro. If I could find a place to buy them online I would get a couple. Last I seen them amain had them for like 269 for the RTR.
Heck I would almost buy 3 or more of them if I could.
I really Like mine A Whole LOT. I wish I never traded it for a Jato 3.3.

I would chose the TTR ST1 Pro and OR The RTR Version before any Losi Truggy RTR, or Buggy RTR. Maybe even before the RTR RC8T.

I like them that much. Plus they were cheap.( Parts are just hard to find is all now)

Mine handled really well for what I did with it as there were no tracks for 500 miles when I had it. It turned pretty well also. Jumping was really good. The tires tore pretty easy though as I had my GRP .28 Tuned Spec engine in it.
Race Vehicles-SC8 w/ GRP .28 Tuned,RC8T FT-Reedy VR 121 .21, 2035 pipe, RC8B-Reedy .21
http://www.jerrysrcraceway.com/
mgtmadness2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 04:33 PM   #7
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Tower Hobbies now sells Thunder Tiger stuff, they have both the RTRs and the Pro kits, plus all the parts for them as well.

I have one of these as a basher, and let me tell you, I freakin' love it. I totally beat the snot out of it and nothing ever breaks. My only complaint is the body is a bit thin (I'm reinforcing the next one I buy) and the stock steering servo is a bit slow.

I have seen NIB ones show up on eBay and go for like $150, which is an absolute steal. I bought mine on eBay from a hobby shop that was clearing out some inventory.

STADIUM TRUCK ALL THE WAY!!!!!!!!!!!!
HP PRST-1
AE FT RC10GT2 (for when nitro ST rises from the dead!!)
lappdawg27 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 04:48 PM   #8
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by lappdawg27 View Post
Tower Hobbies now sells Thunder Tiger stuff, they have both the RTRs and the Pro kits, plus all the parts for them as well.

I have one of these as a basher, and let me tell you, I freakin' love it. I totally beat the snot out of it and nothing ever breaks. My only complaint is the body is a bit thin (I'm reinforcing the next one I buy) and the stock steering servo is a bit slow.

I have seen NIB ones show up on eBay and go for like $150, which is an absolute steal. I bought mine on eBay from a hobby shop that was clearing out some inventory.
yeah but didn't tower hobbies have them for like 469 or 489 or something like that?
Race Vehicles-SC8 w/ GRP .28 Tuned,RC8T FT-Reedy VR 121 .21, 2035 pipe, RC8B-Reedy .21
http://www.jerrysrcraceway.com/
mgtmadness2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 05:41 PM   #9
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgtmadness2007 View Post
yeah but didn't tower hobbies have them for like 469 or 489 or something like that?
329 for the pro kit, 299 for the RTR currently, with free shipping also.

STADIUM TRUCK ALL THE WAY!!!!!!!!!!!!
HP PRST-1
AE FT RC10GT2 (for when nitro ST rises from the dead!!)
lappdawg27 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 09:56 PM   #10
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

I don't know if I'd go as far to say that I'd take a ST-1 over some other truggies out on the market. That's a really bold statement to make.

I can say having seen a few run and driven a couple, they can take a beating. That is about it though. They are "old tech" for sure, though in the right hands can be a winner. If the OP is just looking to try the calss out or isn't going to be super serious about it, it'll be fine. For the prices that have been given out for the ST-1, I'd say the D8T is a better buy. It's close to the same price and is more on par with the current truggies out there. Just a thought.

ZX6 - RB6 - MP9e
Fantom Racing, Cheater Racing
Houston's Engine Service
Teufel Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 02:48 PM   #11
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to hustler777 Send a message via Yahoo to hustler777

Quote:
Originally Posted by m0thertruckah1 View Post
99% of the parts made for the Caster k8t pro are a direct replacement for the 5t....and when the 5 came out, they totally re-designed it....but as far as 6t compatability....i know that the diff cases, ring and pinon gears, and spur gear all work with the 5t....oh and the body if you use the 6t body mounts
Old 03-31-2011, 07:40 PM   #12
Tech Apprentice

I ran mine all of last year for the racing season and really loved it. The only beef i had was that by the end of the year i couldnt push it any harder, I had reached its limits. I took second overall in the sportsman class with it and should have taken first but nerves get me when im leading lol. Its tough as nails and can be really pushed hard if you have it set up right but it still doesnt handle as well as the new age truggys. I look forward to running my D8T this year in the expert class.
www.clarkrcpark.com
We are always looking for more racers at the track!
Bengsch85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 03:15 PM   #13
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

I started running an St-1 and loved it! I swapped out that rtr motor for a better one and the truck was awesome. I then switched to the Tamiya 801xt and boy did I make a mistake. I had the 801xt with all the goodies and it was a nightmare to maintain. The St-1 never broke a part and took a pounding, just routine maintenance like shock and diff oil replacement.
NorthCentral RC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 11:04 AM   #14
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 29 (94%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to IROC-AR15 Send a message via Skype™ to IROC-AR15

The ST1 is outdated yes, but it is an excellent truggy built like a tank and can take tons of punishment!
I love mine's and am planning on buying another one in the future. Its tons a info for it on www.rcuniverse.com just go to the truggy forum and there's a thread for the ST1 there!
Don't listen to what other people tell you cause at the end of the day its you that have to drive the truck not other people in these forums...If you like durability, good handling, easy maintenance then the ST1 is for you...GPM even makes aluminum a arms for it!
#TeamHolyRoller
Live Laugh Learn Love
IROC-AR15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 05:12 AM   #15
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default ST1 PRO & RTR

I have both the ST1 PRO and a ST1 RTR and I have had a great time with both of mine.

The PRO does go quicker than the rtr, but the OS 28 might have something to do with that.

I have had both of the rtr servos fail, but am still using the radio and reciever.

They take a bit of setting up though a I have found the steering to be a bit twitchy for me but it could be my inexperience.

Regards
EJ Harvs is offline   Reply With Quote