R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 03-25-2011, 12:09 PM   #1
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)
Default Life or Nimh receiver battery for MBX6

What have you all had good success with? I am running regular JR & Savox servos. I would appreciate your input. Here are my thoughts on each. Let me know your recommendations and advantages/disadvantages of each.

1. Nimh= less cost, no worry keeping in car and charging, no need to remove to charge if using a switch with charging wire, takes a little longer to charge.

2. Life= Lighter than nimh, slightly more mah than nimh, requires removing from car to balance and charge (recommended).

3. Lipo=Requires voltage regulator with regular servos, leaving in car while charging is a slight risk of catching fire.
Old 03-25-2011, 12:15 PM   #2
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 54 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resqnu View Post
What have you all had good success with? I am running regular JR & Savox servos. I would appreciate your input. Here are my thoughts on each. Let me know your recommendations and advantages/disadvantages of each.

1. Nimh= less cost, no worry keeping in car and charging, no need to remove to charge if using a switch with charging wire, takes a little longer to charge.

2. Life= Lighter than nimh, slightly more mah than nimh, requires removing from car to balance and charge (recommended).

3. Lipo=Requires voltage regulator with regular servos, leaving in car while charging is a slight risk of catching fire.
nimh charge faster not slower.
Personally I run lipos, and I only balance them at home not at the track b/c they last me all day. I have 7.4 capable servos so no regulater is needed. Your best bet would be LiFe packs. Dont worry about balancing lipos or LiFe packs everytime you use them. I believe you can go 5-8 cycles without balancing them. And if you really wanna balance them, its only 2 screws you gotta undo to get to the pack.
Old 03-25-2011, 12:20 PM   #3
Tech Prophet

i whould just stick to nimh receiver packs espially if you only race 5 min heats and 15 to 20 min mains like most tracks i been to do .

my 1500 mah nimh pack can go fro 2 rounds before i need to peak it up .

now i can see if you race a long main or longer heats .
tc5 man is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 12:28 PM   #4
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Spend the money on LiFe packs. Buy two, one for practice/quals, and a fresh one for the main. Then u don't have to bring a charger to the track. I like removing my batts from the car, makes it easier to work on the car while the batts are charging. LiFe batts can also be deep discharged without the risk of exploding or catching fire like LiPos.
Old 03-25-2011, 12:59 PM   #5
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resqnu View Post

Life is the way to go, my one pack hasn't left the reciever box in 5 months. the spare sits waiting for when I leave the switch on on overnight. just keep pounding a charge in it after practice and qualifying. NiMH won't handle that abuse by dropping voltage after continuous re-peaking, why you have to switch packs with those. I for one am too lazy for that.

Lipo? more power for sure, not as consistent a discharge curve as LiFe, and get angry when abused
johnny t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 01:14 PM   #6
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

My son won a LiFe battery at CRCRC race back in January. Run three rounds of qualifying and a 30 min main without issue. I was told the pack, 1300 mah will run 1.5 hours without worries but to recharge it after 1 hour of use.
We had to buy a new charger to charge the LiFe battery but was going to need another one due to racing E buggies along with nitro.
nimh packs drop power and the power lose can effect servo speeds. LiFe stay the same volts through out the run. Lipo packs do to but I think we all have seen them puffy and thats no good.
Times change and technology advances along with it. I think LiFe pack will be the next replacement packs as nimh replaced nicad.
Old 03-25-2011, 01:20 PM   #7
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 47 (100%+)

Love my LiFe pack. 1700 in the Serpent last 3 heats and a 30min main. Lipo isn't bad if you have the servos for it. I have heard of a few guy's running into a rx heat issue with the 603ff. Believe the new rx is fine.
Old 03-25-2011, 01:23 PM   #8
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

In the mugen the battery sit right next to the motor, I have went through 3 life packs and i think the heat is damaging the battery, So i would stick with NIMH you can 45 + out of them in 1 run! Oh and yes I charged them correctly and balanced them and also did the break in you are suppose to do with them, they keep puffing up and the last race it dumped after 35min in a 45min main. So I will not be going back to a LIFE again for the reciver. Now it works great in my radio so that makes me think that life battery's are not good in heat
Brandon Black is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 01:29 PM   #9
Tech Regular

I have had 4 LIFE packs puff in my Mugen and ruined 3 603 receivers. I went back to NIMH and have had no problems at all. I run my 3 quals on one pack and put in a fresh peaked pack for the main.
Old 03-25-2011, 01:46 PM   #10
Tech Regular

Thats why with the mugen i would not recommend running the life battery for the receiver.
Old 03-25-2011, 01:55 PM   #11
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

I think LiFe are just very sensitive to over discharging. just never let them get anywhere near dead or even close to that line in the sand of 2.5v/33% capacity. I am the abuser who never balances and will repeatedly charge in my mugen 4 times the same pack, but I dont let things get too below 3v a cell, and never have a puff up. only times that has occurred is when I left the car on overnight. kiss your battery goodbye then.

I bet the people who have puff ups are dutiful with there cycling and discharging. what was the right attitude to have with Nicads but don't apply anymore.
johnny t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 02:01 PM   #12
Tech Regular

Nope done the same thing i never let it drop below voltage and everyone of them done the exact same thing, also have others i know doing the same as mine was in the mugen and now one in the durango which is next to the motor. so we all are not running life any more
Old 03-25-2011, 02:23 PM   #13
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)

Great info guys. Keep it coming.

I got a used Life Proteck 1700 from a friend that was already puffed a little. only get maybe 2 tanks before the steering goes. I have ran a few used Ballistic 1600 nimh from same friend and can get 3 or 4 tanks before charging. This is all I have to go by. Most of my qualifiers are 5 min and race is 20-30 min. This is why I am trying to decide to go with Life or Nimh.
Old 03-25-2011, 03:30 PM   #14
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 40 (100%+)

ben73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 03:30 PM   #15
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 40 (100%+)

Don't go near cobra rc life packs I had 3 puff in my 8ight and all were charged correctly. They all puffed in first 6 runs. One then died during a race.

Protek life cells are great. I have 2 packs for my mbx6 and they are perfect. Excellent cells and no issues to date. They provide huge runtime. I'll be sticking with protek
ben73 is offline   Reply With Quote