R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 03-25-2011, 08:26 PM   #16
Tech Prophet

i was going to take a look at this new odonnell truggy that was talked about but i coulnt wait that long so i got a rc8t ce.
tc5 man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 08:39 PM   #17
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 57 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tc5 man View Post
i was going to take a look at this new odonnell truggy that was talked about but i coulnt wait that long so i got a rc8t ce.
That's understandable....the AE is a good truck, as are pretty much all of the big name rigs.

Unfortunately, Truggy as a whole, is a declining class. An updated version of the prototype SG Truggy (SG-II???) is behind the electric buggy, and some other projects on the priority list. Should the class regain popularity to the point of making it a wise business decision to proceed, I'm sure it will get bumped up.
Stubbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 08:58 PM   #18
Tech Prophet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stubbs View Post
That's understandable....the AE is a good truck, as are pretty much all of the big name rigs.

Unfortunately, Truggy as a whole, is a declining class. An updated version of the prototype SG Truggy (SG-II???) is behind the electric buggy, and some other projects on the priority list. Should the class regain popularity to the point of making it a wise business decision to proceed, I'm sure it will get bumped up.

yea i heard in some states truggy is down but not here in the northeast though .
it seems like truggy is down in the west coast more than east coast.

yea i see what you mean though on compays not making new truggys because of that.
Old 03-25-2011, 09:02 PM   #19
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Quote:
yea i heard in some states truggy is down but not here in the northeast though .
it seems like truggy is down in the west coast more than east coast.

yea i see what you mean though on compays not making new truggys because of that.
me and stubbs live in the south east LOL truggy class is just about dead around here at the club level, but at bigger events, almost everyone (mainly the Pros) runs truggy and buggy and now eBuggy...
Mugen MBX7 Eco / LRP / Airtronics M11x
jmaxey51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 09:06 PM   #20
Tech Prophet

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmaxey51 View Post
me and stubbs live in the south east LOL truggy class is just about dead around here at the club level, but at bigger events, almost everyone (mainly the Pros) runs truggy and buggy and now eBuggy...

yea i cant answer that one but i know truggy always has two heats or more at my track even when theres club racing.
Old 03-26-2011, 01:41 AM   #21
Tech Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmaxey51 View Post
kyosho is releasing a updated truggy this summer it sounds: http://www.neobuggy.net/modules/news...?storyid=10000
serpent should be out soon, and the durango is just now starting their prototype so it probably wont be out for a little while... O'donnell might release their new truggy later this summer....
Bringing it "up to date" as the link suggests, doesn't sound to promising, we are looking for progress, up to date already exists.

Truggy is so amazing, i cant understand why it is decling in some areas. I think truggy ROCKS!

JUST DO IT
Dave1GP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 04:43 AM   #22
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave1GP View Post
Bringing it "up to date" as the link suggests, doesn't sound to promising, we are looking for progress, up to date already exists.

Truggy is so amazing, i cant understand why it is decling in some areas. I think truggy ROCKS!
It really just comes down to simple economics. Unless you're a pro, or into self-abuse , most folks will run no more than two 1/8th classes.

Previously, that was 1/8th nitro and truggy. When the performance and reliability of the ESC's and batteries began to improve, it made much more sense to run buggy and e-buggy due to commonality of components (same tires, a-arms, diffs, bodies, etc...). The components, mainly tires, are also much less expensive for a buggy versus truggy, and you would only need a pit man for one class, so those are other factors.

Things are cyclical though.....SCT, both 2WD and 4WD, is taking some folks away from 1/8th scale overall, but that will eventually swing back. As the economy improves, and folks have more disposable income, we may also see a resurgence in Truggy again.

I sure hope so, because it really is my favorite class. If not, I'll probably be one of those guys who will run 1/8 nitro and e-buggy.
Old 03-26-2011, 05:22 AM   #23
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 68 (100%+)

I don't see any economic recovery anytime soon. This county is in a bad state right now.

Truggy seems to be doing fine in my neck of the woods but the class has never been as big as buggy and that's understandable.
Greg B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 08:11 AM   #24
dsl
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Truggy has more entries than buggy at our local track and seems like its growing.

I'm waiting for the new Serpent truggy
Old 03-26-2011, 08:18 AM   #25
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 148 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stubbs View Post
It really just comes down to simple economics. Unless you're a pro, or into self-abuse , most folks will run no more than two 1/8th classes.

Previously, that was 1/8th nitro and truggy. When the performance and reliability of the ESC's and batteries began to improve, it made much more sense to run buggy and e-buggy due to commonality of components (same tires, a-arms, diffs, bodies, etc...). The components, mainly tires, are also much less expensive for a buggy versus truggy, and you would only need a pit man for one class, so those are other factors.

Things are cyclical though.....SCT, both 2WD and 4WD, is taking some folks away from 1/8th scale overall, but that will eventually swing back. As the economy improves, and folks have more disposable income, we may also see a resurgence in Truggy again.

I sure hope so, because it really is my favorite class. If not, I'll probably be one of those guys who will run 1/8 nitro and e-buggy.
I run them all. Whatever is being raced. We had a series last year that ran 1/8 buggy and truggy nitro and E. Run all 4 and it's the ironman.
Frank L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 09:02 AM   #26
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank L View Post
I run them all. Whatever is being raced. We had a series last year that ran 1/8 buggy and truggy nitro and E. Run all 4 and it's the ironman.
Four classes??? Well, now we know that Frank is REALLY into self abuse!
Old 03-26-2011, 09:19 AM   #27
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

i think we are about 50/50 buggy and truggy... lots of guys are picking up 4x4 SC for this year.

We also mix in the brushless with the nitro.

Seems like you meet the odd guy who hates truggy, thinks they are sloppy next to a buggy. I think i like truggy a bit more than buggy, i like the huge air they can get and can land a bit more twisted than a buggy and still soak it up.
Dnano
fallguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 09:49 AM   #28
Tech Prophet

i, dont know how anybody could do buggy and truggy together its pretty expensive and a hassle to keep up with but hey each to their own.

i, say this i dont like running buggy on a blown out track and i just like the fact that truggys are more stable on it and you can mess up and not hurt you to much.

last year i dint see 1/8 guys going to 4x4 sc .

i guess it depends on how bad your state is ecomic wise.
Old 03-26-2011, 10:59 AM   #29

Location: a very small town in wisconsin that is in the middle of absolutely no where

i run all 3 classes..
buggy
truggy
e-buggy
even at club levels... i get too bored running just 1 or 2 classes... jeremy
Jeremy Whiting - serpent america - desoto racing - apicco race engines - RcRenew - jconcepts - Rc Pro Products - ko propo eurus - ko propo servos - VP PowerMaster Fuels - Answer-rc usa - advantage racing products - Parma/pse bodies - serpent 811 2.1 - 811t
J.Whiting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 11:32 AM   #30
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Quote:
-last year i dint see 1/8 guys going to 4x4 sc .

i guess it depends on how bad your state is ecomic wise.
Is 4x4 SC that much less? these guys are running 8th scale ESC and good servos in them, it adds up... or is it the fact that they eat tires next to a SC (i dont know cause i dont own a SC)
Dnano
fallguy is offline   Reply With Quote