Community
Wiki Posts
Search

super chargers

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2011, 12:18 AM
Tech Initiate

Default super chargers

last year I bought a cyclone intake from rbinnovations.com and was wondering if the super chargers they have are worth the money. I have a HPI Trophy Truggy 4.6 RTR and a HPI Hellfire SS. The intake seems to do fine for the Hellfire so I was looking to see if the super charger and the intake on the Hellfire would be good. Any thoughts?
Old 03-24-2011, 12:56 AM
Tech Adept

To me the concept of a super charger on one of these engines is a bad idea!
If you have ever pulled a motor apart you will see the exhaust port and intake port are on the same plane!

Now a super charger forces air to make boost, so to make 'boost' you need a seal between the piston and sleeve. When the piston is at BDC and the intake port is open to allow the fuel air mixture into the chamber if you have a super charger forcing air into there it will just blow it straight through the chamber back out the open exhaust port! So there is no time for the super charger to make 'boost' so in my eyes it wont work.

I could be completly wrong here so if someones knows better please chime in,
but this is how i see it working anyways.
Old 03-24-2011, 04:14 AM
Tech Adept

There is a thread on this started just a couple of days ago.
Basically do not waste the money on forced induction on RC engines. These engines can be modded to make more power than a blower or turbo. They make more power than can be used straight out of the box in many instances.
Old 03-24-2011, 07:09 AM
Tech Initiate

But what about the cyclone intake? Is that a go or No-Go?
Old 03-24-2011, 08:54 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Originally Posted by ryWA
To me the concept of a super charger on one of these engines is a bad idea!
If you have ever pulled a motor apart you will see the exhaust port and intake port are on the same plane!

Now a super charger forces air to make boost, so to make 'boost' you need a seal between the piston and sleeve. When the piston is at BDC and the intake port is open to allow the fuel air mixture into the chamber if you have a super charger forcing air into there it will just blow it straight through the chamber back out the open exhaust port! So there is no time for the super charger to make 'boost' so in my eyes it wont work.

I could be completly wrong here so if someones knows better please chime in,
but this is how i see it working anyways.
I think you are spot on point. 2-stroke engines do no benefit from forced induction.. More power can be made with modding and pipe selection/moddifictions then forced induction can.. And it is because the air from forced induction will simply blow right through.. TO top it off forced induction will most likely make your car harder to tune, and since the exhaust pulses won't resonate back to the engine from the tuned pipe, you might actually loose power..
Old 03-24-2011, 10:28 AM
Tech Master

This topic comes up quite a bit on the Traxxas and RCUniverse forums. The design of the nitro 2 stroke engine prevents them from being effective. But some people get sucked into the bling factor. Nitrous injection has a better chance of working.

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_97...tm.htm#9737014
Old 03-24-2011, 12:15 PM
Tech Initiate

[QUOTE=nitroexpress;8854263]This topic comes up quite a bit on the Traxxas and RCUniverse forums. The design of the nitro 2 stroke engine prevents them from being effective. But some people get sucked into the bling factor. Nitrous injection has a better chance of working.

If I got the nitrous system I would have to upgrade to a 3 channel system, I guess what I really want is more bang less buck. What can I do to get faster with out either of these?
Old 03-24-2011, 12:33 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

For what you got and are trying to accomplish buying a new better built modded motor it what you need. Go buy you a LRP .28 Spec3 truggy motor and have one of the guys on here who does mods mod it out and you'll make more power than any rc car can put to the ground. Trust me, I ran one of these stock on a Associated SC8 and with the Reedy tuned pipe I could pull wheelies from a dead stop when i swapped to a spool instead of a center diff. but this is all based on my opinion and knowledge of the hobby. There are people who know more that me I know that but as far as bang for your buck this motor is cheaper than the supercharger and make way more power.
Old 03-24-2011, 12:35 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 9 (91%+)

+++++2 on the lrp.. very sick..
Old 03-24-2011, 12:54 PM
Tech Initiate

and I can put that LRP .28 Spec3 right on my Hellfire SS with no probs. right?
Old 03-24-2011, 12:59 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Yep. She'll bolt right up. The clutch off your original engine will fit, the pipr will work everything. All you gotta do is hook it all up and break it in per the instructions. I say that because it has so much compression that if you try leaning it out to get the temps up you will be doing the engine no good. Cut a coke can and put it over the head to bring it up to the 180 that is suggested. Not trying to insult your inteligence by saying you don't know how to break the engine in I'm just going from my experiences. I scored a sleeve by leaning it out too soon. My own fault not the engines fault.
Old 03-24-2011, 01:05 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 9 (91%+)

if ur gonna get the lrp .28 might as well spend a few extra and get the .30...