R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 03-26-2011, 05:04 AM   #31
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

Guys, this vehicles is not goin to be raced, its a basher. Street basher basically. Shizcol hasn't a clue what he wants yet. LOL! He is all over the boards inquiring on all kinds of different vehicles.

Shizcol: I know your situation, and the type of person you are in regards to RC.

You need to take a step back and relax. Your coming across as trying to pull the trigger on buying one of these RC's literally as an impulse buy from what sounds great on these boards. Stop for a moment. I know you want to make the right purchase and make it right the first time, but you need to ask yourself the main uses(Which you have I believe) and pick out the right vehicle for your needs and terrain.

Let me give you some advice.

A. Stick with 1/8th scale. Ive seen you looking at 10th as well, but smaller means less terrain you can go over easily. 10th scale and big curbs,potholes,tall grass etc dont mix well. So stick with 1/8th as your starting point.

B. Rugged durability. If this is going to be a pavement pounder, with hard obstacles all around where you can clip a tire hard(like a telephone pole or a tall curb, or the corner of a building)at high speeds, you want something rugged. Race buggies and truggies are not designed to clip a hard, heavy stationary object at speeds. And trust me, you WILL HIT one of these objects at speed.

C. That leaves you with basically 2 logical choices.

The monster truck, which is extremely versatile, has great ground clearance, can go up over high curbs and survive relatively hard hits, have plenty of tire choices and can be setup to deal with a variety of terrains the best. THey can be very fast, yet they can survive a tumbling 10 foot jump or high speed crash with the appropriate armor.

The other choice is actually an 8th scale short course truck like the SC8. It has the speed and performance of a race buggy truggy, but is alot more durable since it employs a full roll cage and bumper guards. Its quick, its nimble, its great for pavement and jumps, its good offroad and its durable. It just doesnt have the ground clearance of a MT, but it can take a good lickin like one just as long as you stay away from high speed hits into buildings, cars and telephone poles etc.

I use both of these vehicles to bash on the streets/lawn and parking lots. Both are a ton of fun. The MT is by far the most versatile of the 2, but my SC8 is a huge blast as well with handling advantages at high speeds being more stable and planted like a road car. Going up and down the street with it at 40mph is alot of fun. BOth turn heads, both sound great.

You just need to step back though and ask yourself some very honest questions.
ntrain42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 10:57 AM   #32
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 9 (91%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to shizcol

lol yeah i have asked myself many many questions, trust me lol.. i am stuck laying in bed with the computer in my lap and i have been everywhere for suggestions. i dont race, but i like to have something low to the ground, therefor i want a truggy. ive had just about every monster truck out there, and i want something different.. i dont want a on road vehicle cause u cant do nothing but go fast with them, and i plan do to a lil off pavement running. i dont like short course trucks, i had 2 slashes and sc10s also.. i want to build something. i want to buy a roller and put a engine of my choice on it and do my own modifications to my needs. but mostly i run in big open parking lots, and sometimes il go to the field and jump a few soft landing jumps, im not into the whole jumpoing houses and jumping off cliffs. lol.. i been looking at the losi eight t 2.0 race roller. i like the way it looks and it can be geared to go pretty fast. its wide and long and just like it. i wanna spend like 400 on a good roller and buy a decent motor.. and i have everything else.. so im keeping my eyes open.. any other suggestions? lol i really do apreciate all the help.. i guess im just stubborn and i have had over 100 rcs in the passd 10 years.. its hard to chose something when uve had alot and u dont wanna buy the same thing..
shizcol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 01:53 PM   #33
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by shizcol View Post
lol yeah i have asked myself many many questions, trust me lol.. i am stuck laying in bed with the computer in my lap and i have been everywhere for suggestions. i dont race, but i like to have something low to the ground, therefor i want a truggy. ive had just about every monster truck out there, and i want something different.. i dont want a on road vehicle cause u cant do nothing but go fast with them, and i plan do to a lil off pavement running. i dont like short course trucks, i had 2 slashes and sc10s also.. i want to build something. i want to buy a roller and put a engine of my choice on it and do my own modifications to my needs. but mostly i run in big open parking lots, and sometimes il go to the field and jump a few soft landing jumps, im not into the whole jumpoing houses and jumping off cliffs. lol.. i been looking at the losi eight t 2.0 race roller. i like the way it looks and it can be geared to go pretty fast. its wide and long and just like it. i wanna spend like 400 on a good roller and buy a decent motor.. and i have everything else.. so im keeping my eyes open.. any other suggestions? lol i really do apreciate all the help.. i guess im just stubborn and i have had over 100 rcs in the passd 10 years.. its hard to chose something when uve had alot and u dont wanna buy the same thing..
Dude, the SC8 then. Far superior basher to a truggy. A slash or SC10 its NOT. In fact its actually an RC8T with RC8 arms, a SC body, full roll cage, SC tires. Its 4x4 and its a rocketship. Its my secondary basher, and it is a complete blast to drive and is a BEAST, super rugged. You can get em for around $440 shipped:

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

PS: I know you haven't had an LST XXL, your typical MT its not, it handles like a race truggy, but its ALOT more durable. You should wait to see my XXL build up thread. You would swear its a truggy...........on MASSIVE HORSE STEROIDS.

Last edited by ntrain42; 03-26-2011 at 02:11 PM.
Old 03-26-2011, 02:08 PM   #34
Tech Master

The problem with race buggies and truggies is they are open wheel'd vehicles with low profile rims. You clip something with one of those wheels and you are going to do ALOT of DAMAGE and its gonna cost you $$$ to repair. THe low profile rims and tires dont have any cushion or give like a big MT tire/wheel combo which will normally have an inch or so of foam/rubber to absord some of the force. So if you clip something at speed with a truggy or buggy there is a good chance your gonna do damage to not only the rim, but the arm, turnbuckle, cvd, arm pins,bulkhead, shocks, possibly the chassis and towers etc. I have an RC8T race truggy and I would never even consider bashing with it. THats what my SC8 is for. The arms,tires,shocks,cvds,towers etc are enclosed in a good sturdy roll cage with a full length front/rear bumper. So I confidently use that as my alternative basher. Ive hit a few curbs,poles etc with it hard and came away unscathed. If I would have done the same thing with my Truggy I would be walking around picking up all the pieces. So IMO, your best bet is something like a large Monster truck/truggy like an LST XXL, or an SC8. BOth fit your needs in reality. If you have your mind set on a truggy/buggy, better go find and join up with a local race track if you want to have fun running it without the fear of totaling it if you crash.
Old 03-26-2011, 02:27 PM   #35
Tech Addict

the sc8 looks damn fast for a short course.. where can u get them for 440.. i looked on fleebay and all i can find is 500 plus
Old 03-26-2011, 02:35 PM   #36
Tech Master

Quote:
the sc8 looks damn fast for a short course.. where can u get them for 440.. i looked on fleebay and all i can find is 500 plus
Tower Hobbies, join the supersaver club($10 per year) and they will send u a coupon for $50 off an order of 300 or more, plus FREE shipping. Basically you save $75 in total. $433.99 to your door.

And you have NO IDEA how fast it is. On that video its slipping and sliding on the straights. On pavement it is blistering fast. The .28 AE engine it comes with is actually a very rugged and powerful mill.
Old 03-26-2011, 02:42 PM   #37
Tech Apprentice

Ok heres a spanner in the works. If you wanna have fun bashing, and go to the track with a compotent truggy too, get a good 2nd hand Mugen MBX5. They are as tough as nails, almost unbrealable. For an engine you smack in a OS.25XZ. Lots of power and plenty runtime.

If you plan on ever racing, kick butt with a Mugen MBX6T with a OS Speed .21 engine. I get 11min runtime between refills and it has enough power to run with anything out there, very smooth.It sticks to the road like you know what to a whool blanket. Just do it

JUST DO IT
Dave1GP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 02:44 PM   #38
Tech Addict

yeah im looking at that right now lol.. u dont give up do u haha.. u otta get paid for this haha.. im gonna do some reading on it.. do u break much on it like the diffs or anything?
Old 03-26-2011, 03:09 PM   #39
Tech Master

Quote:
yeah im looking at that right now lol.. u dont give up do u haha.. u otta get paid for this haha.. im gonna do some reading on it.. do u break much on it like the diffs or anything?
The RC8T is a stout platform. I have yet to break any parts on it, and I have quite a few gallons of fuel through it.
Old 03-26-2011, 03:21 PM   #40
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ntrain42 View Post
The RC8T is a stout platform. I have yet to break any parts on it, and I have quite a few gallons of fuel through it.
i was talking about the sc8 btw
Old 03-26-2011, 03:27 PM   #41
Tech Master

Quote:
i was talking about the sc8 btw
Yep, so was I, the SC8 is the RC8T basically with a roll cage, SC body,full length bumpers, SC wheels and tires.
Old 03-26-2011, 03:38 PM   #42
Tech Addict

oh ok lol.. i wanted a truggy really bad cause i like to run on the street. and its low and i wasnt gonna buy an onroader. does the sc8 handle like the sc10? i know the sc10 barely ever rolls over. and does it have a high gear ratio?
Old 03-26-2011, 04:12 PM   #43
Tech Master

Quote:
oh ok lol.. i wanted a truggy really bad cause i like to run on the street. and its low and i wasnt gonna buy an onroader. does the sc8 handle like the sc10? i know the sc10 barely ever rolls over. and does it have a high gear ratio?
The SC8 handles alot better actually, its geared so its quite fast. Again you saw the video on how quick it is on loose dirt.
Old 03-26-2011, 04:19 PM   #44
Tech Addict

yeah u are def right about the rocketship lol.. im just wondering how it will do on the street. and if i can put different tires on it to help out. i like the way the roll cage comes right off with pins and it has a big block not nop crappy small block
Old 03-26-2011, 04:22 PM   #45
Tech Master

Quote:
yeah u are def right about the rocketship lol.. im just wondering how it will do on the street. and if i can put different tires on it to help out. i like the way the roll cage comes right off with pins and it has a big block not nop crappy small block
They are fine on the street. The stock SC tires are very good dual purpose road/offroad tires and they last quite a long time too since the compound is not too soft. They make road slicks for em too if u need em. Plenty of tires to choose from.