Community
Wiki Posts
Search

what is a good tuggy kit to start with?

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2011, 07:08 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 59 (100%+)

tires depends. I like the HB tires but theirs so many choices...AKA,HB,SWEEP,PROLINE...so with whatever the local guys are running
Old 03-23-2011, 08:12 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 118 (100%+)

I really like AKA soft cityblocks most places I go....but tires aren't universal. Talk to the local fast guys. They are usually dialed in pretty well
Old 03-23-2011, 08:36 PM
Tech Apprentice

you also might want to look at a Werks 34mm Pro Clutch 4 Shoe Racing Clutch System i have the Medium and i rilly like it there are 3 kinds Light, Medium and Heavy or the Dynamite Max-Life Aluminum Clutch Shoe Set its just something to look at. for Tires get the Pro-Line White Pre-Mounted Caliber VTR 4.0" Standard Offset M2 or M3.
Old 03-23-2011, 08:42 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 9 (91%+)

Sweet thanks for the hints. Really gonna need it. Anyone know how long it should take to build one of these
Old 03-23-2011, 08:45 PM
Tech Apprentice

1 or 2 days if you dont stop.
Old 03-23-2011, 08:50 PM
Tech Addict

As if I built a baja 5b from a kit and it took me 8 hrs so I doubt it will take that long. Looks simple enough
Old 03-23-2011, 09:06 PM
Tech Apprentice

idk about the parts on a baja 5b haha.
Old 03-23-2011, 09:07 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

Originally Posted by shizcol
haha ntrain... ur always right behind me lol.. i do enjoy ur company tho lol.. wht do u think of the d8t? any advice u can gimme on this truggy? im hoping that 600 will get me a nice setup (kit and engine) so i can at least get going. i have everything else here. u got me thinking about the truggy thing and got me lookin around mugen looks good but thats gonna cost me, and i found this.. looks very nice
Is this gonna be raced or bashed? If your looking for a bashing buggy, better off looking at a hybrid MT like the LST XXL........yayaya sounds like a broken record, but an XXL is basically an oversized truggy on steroids the way it was designed. If you say pictures of my race XXL you would understand exactly what I mean.

I run an RC8T Truggy, its a great racer, but as a basher it doesnt come anywhere near my XXL.

Now if your going to actually RACE this, then the D8t is a respectable roller. But if your going to race, then your looking at $400 plus for the roller, $300 for a competitive engine/pipe combo, 100 plus for a pair of good servos,75-100 for a starter box, a life/nimh reciever pack possibly etc etc...........
Old 03-24-2011, 01:53 PM
Tech Master

As if I built a baja 5b from a kit and it took me 8 hrs so I doubt it will take that long. Looks simple enough
I think your going to be surprised.
Old 03-24-2011, 02:11 PM
Tech Addict

well im out of work for a while due to bad accident, so i got all the time in the world lol. but i was just wondering how long its takin u guys that have built the d8t.
Old 03-24-2011, 02:24 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by ntrain42
Is this gonna be raced or bashed? If your looking for a bashing buggy, better off looking at a hybrid MT like the LST XXL........yayaya sounds like a broken record, but an XXL is basically an oversized truggy on steroids the way it was designed. If you say pictures of my race XXL you would understand exactly what I mean.

I run an RC8T Truggy, its a great racer, but as a basher it doesnt come anywhere near my XXL.

Now if your going to actually RACE this, then the D8t is a respectable roller. But if your going to race, then your looking at $400 plus for the roller, $300 for a competitive engine/pipe combo, 100 plus for a pair of good servos,75-100 for a starter box, a life/nimh reciever pack possibly etc etc...........

I def know where ur coming from man. im a hard person to convince lol.. and as u can see im open to all options, and il find something.. i still got some time to find out what it is im gonna get so im keeping my options and possibilities open. i dont know if i want to get something like the xxl cause i mostly run on hard flat surfaces, and rarely go to the pits. but its fun once in a while. im pretty stuck on a truggy tho. and as for electronics i have some good quality stuff right now from my other vehicles. and i have a bump box, so there for i just need a roller and a motor. i was able to find a d8t for 300 and a motor for 200. and i have everything else. so thats about what i wanna spend, not including fuel and spare parts.
Old 03-25-2011, 05:37 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

I def know where ur coming from man. im a hard person to convince lol.. and as u can see im open to all options, and il find something.. i still got some time to find out what it is im gonna get so im keeping my options and possibilities open. i dont know if i want to get something like the xxl cause i mostly run on hard flat surfaces, and rarely go to the pits. but its fun once in a while. im pretty stuck on a truggy tho. and as for electronics i have some good quality stuff right now from my other vehicles. and i have a bump box, so there for i just need a roller and a motor. i was able to find a d8t for 300 and a motor for 200. and i have everything else. so thats about what i wanna spend, not including fuel and spare parts.
The XXL is great on hard surfaces. just as stable as a truggy. My basher has a set of street slicks, besides the stock ATX tires which are also pretty respectable as a dual sufrace tire, along with a set of 420 pins. For doing what your gonna be doin, a D8T would be a waste of money and a dissapointment. If your gonna race, and want to do Truggy class, then its a respectable roller. If you want to bash in front of the house on the street or hard packed surfaces etc. still much better off with a MT that has its design firmly planted in RACING which makes it a beutiful all out hybrid.

Maybe you should subscrible to my new XXL bashing build up thread Im starting today.

Im taking a brand new XXL, stripping it down to the bare components and rebuilding it, into the ultimate basher.

It will be loaded with pictures and a video of it running at the end.
Old 03-25-2011, 07:36 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Shizcol

Are you going to be racing or just bashing?
Old 03-25-2011, 07:39 AM
Tech Elite

Location: Fort Worth, Texas, USA, North America, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way Galaxy, Universe

Originally Posted by ntrain42
Werks B5 with a Werks 58 pipe and dont look back.
+1

Also Alpha S852 is a good choice.

Do you already have a radio? Starter box? Are you racing or bashing?

What does your local hobby shop carry parts for? (Nothing sucks more than to break something and end your day of racing because you can't get a part.)
Old 03-25-2011, 07:43 AM
Tech Elite

Location: Fort Worth, Texas, USA, North America, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way Galaxy, Universe

Originally Posted by MotoGod
I really like AKA soft cityblocks most places I go....but tires aren't universal. Talk to the local fast guys. They are usually dialed in pretty well
ONE exception to this. If you are a newbie, and they tell you to run small pin-tires, disregard that advice for 2 reasons:

1) They don't work unless you can stay in the groove... if you are a new driver, trust me, you can't.

2) They have VERY limited useful lifespan. You'll be buying a LOT of tires if you run small pins.

The best alternative to small pin tires (on a track that you should use small pins on) are Proline Revolvers... they have a LITTLE larger pin than the true small-pine tires like the Holeshot, and a denser pin spacing. They work better in the "fluff" (although not AS well as some others) and last much longer, and they are ALMOST as good in the groove.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.