R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 03-24-2011, 12:03 AM   #16
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 70 (100%+)

I am guessing storing tires with dirt on them draws the moisture/oils out of the rubber. Good discussion, I always hated cleaning tires, they just get dirty again anywayz. I just do it cause I get bored and don't want to work on my car. Lol. I can ask around and see what the best tire care is and proper storage.

AKA Products, Team Losi, Track Star Racing, Tekno RC, Hitec RCD, LRP, Schelle Racing, Imagine It Graphics, EKD, VP/PowerMaster fuels
stipres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 05:53 AM   #17
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I think storing tires dirty does more to dry them out then air exposure.

I clean my tires after each race weekend and store them back in the AKA bags. When I need them they'll be in the same condition they were after I washed them.

You can leave tires out for a while without any negative effects. For instance 1 set is always left out for putting on the vehicle as long as their clean it doesnt seem to be a problem. BUT leave them dirty in your pit box for a couple weeks and there will be a noticeable difference.
Old 03-24-2011, 06:33 AM   #18
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by buggy8 View Post
the smell you get from new tires is the process of off-gassing. It's the chemicals in the rubber evaporating, as this happens the rubber becomes more and more dry.

I think the best preservative is to put them in bags after washing with mild soap. I guess I'm not sold on "moisturizing" tires.

using armor all (moisturizer) on your car tires results in a worse condition that if you simply wash them in regards to dryness.
Upon further review, I think you're onto something here. Maybe it's not that we're keeping the air out so much as we're keeping the 'gases' in.
Brian C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 07:03 AM   #19
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ganymede View Post
Yes, I do realize that. If one want to be anal about tire storage, one can always store it on the dark side of the planet in space. No air, no sun and no moisture...
That makes it kinda hard to get at them though when you need a new set for the amain-plus I don't have access to a rocket ship
Old 03-24-2011, 07:07 AM   #20
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by stipres View Post
I am guessing storing tires with dirt on them draws the moisture/oils out of the rubber. Good discussion, I always hated cleaning tires, they just get dirty again anywayz. I just do it cause I get bored and don't want to work on my car. Lol. I can ask around and see what the best tire care is and proper storage.
Cleaning tires is right up there with painting bodies and glueing tires for my least favorite things to do in RC racing. But it does make sense, prolonged dirt exposure on tire rubber, guess I'll have to start getting the dirt off

Good thread!
Old 03-24-2011, 07:36 AM   #21
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 94 (100%+)

Cleaning tires isn't all that bad, when the right stuff is used. I get as much dirt off as I can via hand the I use my tire tub. it's just two stiff brissel brushes glued down in a plastic bowl I stole from my girlfriend. Just simply put in water to the tip of the brushes. And start cleaning.
---Xray, RC America, Pro-Line Racing, FX Royal, Hudy, KO Propo, 92zero Designs, Vision Racing Products, RW-Mods, Team Loosenuts, forddesigns.net--- Big Thanks to: Wheel Brokers Track and Shop, Pine City MN~ "Stompy"
rider313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 08:40 AM   #22
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZRC4Me View Post
You do realize that unless you use a vacuum pump like a food saver for instance, an air-tight freezer bag simply keeps air out but does nothing to remove the air from the inside of the bag which the tires are exposed to. Dialed Inc tire bags are the same, not one product exists that truely removes air from tire storage, unless you want to vacuum seal them. And manufacturers don't even go that far.

Now I do think rubber can go bad, but I have sets of tires I've had for a few months and they're the same durometer as brand new rubber. I think sun (UV rays) is more an enemy to tire rubber than air. Store them some place dark and out of direct sunlight. Just my $.02.
AZ, 1 point you may be missing is this.. Even though the tires in a zip-loc bag are exposed to air, it is a limited amount of air. IE it can't escape, and new air is not allowed in until reopened. THe air in the bag can only contaminate the rubber so much then it is essentially sterile (for lack of a better word). While if the tires are left in the open unsealed then the rubber continues to degrade because the air is constantly being replaced.. Vaccum sealing might be the next wave of RC tire storage, but I think only the anal retentive among us will go that far..
Old 03-24-2011, 08:48 AM   #23
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZRC4Me View Post
That makes it kinda hard to get at them though when you need a new set for the amain-plus I don't have access to a rocket ship
You don't need a rocket ship, you need Scotty!