R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 03-19-2011, 11:20 AM   #1
Tech Addict

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)
Default Where do you lack skill, in the RC world.

RC 1/10 1/8 scale off road nitro.

Welp after club racing on and off for about 10 or 11 years and just getting into the whole internet forum thing, i thought it would be cool to start a thread based on where do you lack the skill in RC nitro offroad car/trucks, and for all of you "know it all's" this will be a good thread to help out. Ill give you two examples.....

to this day with my RC8

I lack in The brake setup for different tracks.

I lack in tightening screws!!! i tighten screws into plastic to much and not enough on metal, plastic strips and metal vibrates out loosing screws!

I lack in the shock department, (and ive seen all the videos on HOW TO) yet i still have leaky shocks and after a few races get air in them too!

Now to help me out would you say that the screw in plastic doesnt need to be super tight because the plastic naturally keeps it from vibrating out? And the metal, use blue thread lock on all metal to metal?

And the shocks - Is it just team associated shocks that leak and get air bubbles? So should i just buy a whole new brand, or is there an expert trick out there?

These are things i still struggle with to this day, if i could just nail these things down it would really help out.

If you are lacking in a department post it here. See it someone can help.

PS, im sure there are threads with tips and tricks but if your like me and dont want to read 4,000 pages to find the one thing you need, post it here.

RC8B3 - OS Speed .19 - S9352HV - 4PKS
DiZzYNaTiOn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 11:40 AM   #2
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiZzYNaTiOn View Post
RC 1/10 1/8 scale off road nitro.

Welp after club racing on and off for about 10 or 11 years and just getting into the whole internet forum thing, i thought it would be cool to start a thread based on where do you lack the skill in RC nitro offroad car/trucks, and for all of you "know it all's" this will be a good thread to help out. Ill give you two examples.....

to this day with my RC8

I lack in The brake setup for different tracks.

I lack in tightening screws!!! i tighten screws into plastic to much and not enough on metal, plastic strips and metal vibrates out loosing screws!

I lack in the shock department, (and ive seen all the videos on HOW TO) yet i still have leaky shocks and after a few races get air in them too!

Now to help me out would you say that the screw in plastic doesnt need to be super tight because the plastic naturally keeps it from vibrating out? And the metal, use blue thread lock on all metal to metal?

And the shocks - Is it just team associated shocks that leak and get air bubbles? So should i just buy a whole new brand, or is there an expert trick out there?

These are things i still struggle with to this day, if i could just nail these things down it would really help out.

If you are lacking in a department post it here. See it someone can help.

PS, im sure there are threads with tips and tricks but if your like me and dont want to read 4,000 pages to find the one thing you need, post it here.
I'll help answer some of your q's, then give my list of problems.. Shocks leaking.. Some shocks just leak, no matter hoe well they are built.. In my limited experience AE shocks seem to be some of them that leak..

Screw tightening, into plastic you don't need them super tight, and the plastic will keep them from vibrating out.. For metal to metal I always use loctite, no matter what. For 2 reasons.. First and foremost because you don't wanna lose that screw, but secondly because loctite will help a steel screw from seizing in an aluminum part..

The things I stuggle with are general set up and identifying what my car is doing or not doing while driving.. I've always had enough natural ability to run pretty good, whether the car is set up well or not. I seem to focus too much on hitting corners to help the car, rather then setting the car up to handle the best way.

My #1 area of problem is motivation to do what needs done.. LOL

Oh Yeah and Welcome to the world of RC foruming..
Old 03-19-2011, 11:43 AM   #3
Tech Prophet

i, would say where i lack in is pretty good engine tuning getting the exact equal rebound in shocks and getting ticked off when i get get all the air bubbles out of the shocks.

im not the best at setting brake bias quite.

i, just got a rc8t ce so i dont know about there big bore 1/8 shocks but when i ran thier 1/10 shocks there where a pain in the rear end to get the air out and bleed them !

some, shocks do just leak no matter what i do wish you can use green slime on the 1/8 size shock o-rings i helps a lot !

as, for tighten into plastics just make sure you have you have the screw straight when tighten them into plastics and after it feels snug thats it no more.

i like the plastic quality better on the 1/8 associateds than losi dont flame me losi guys lol.
tc5 man is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 11:48 AM   #4
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottyM View Post
I'll help answer some of your q's, then give my list of problems.. Shocks leaking.. Some shocks just leak, no matter hoe well they are built.. In my limited experience AE shocks seem to be some of them that leak..

Screw tightening, into plastic you don't need them super tight, and the plastic will keep them from vibrating out.. For metal to metal I always use loctite, no matter what. For 2 reasons.. First and foremost because you don't wanna lose that screw, but secondly because loctite will help a steel screw from seizing in an aluminum part..

The things I stuggle with are general set up and identifying what my car is doing or not doing while driving.. I've always had enough natural ability to run pretty good, whether the car is set up well or not. I seem to focus too much on hitting corners to help the car, rather then setting the car up to handle the best way.

My #1 area of problem is motivation to do what needs done.. LOL

Oh Yeah and Welcome to the world of RC foruming..

WOW!! GREAT!!! So threadlock on all metal- CHECK,

Can you recommend a great shock brand for my RC8, i think im done with AE's shocks.

And maybe to help you, the night before a race i take Focus Factor vitamins!
that may help with your motivation....

Thanks again

Old 03-19-2011, 12:00 PM   #5
Tech Prophet

Quote:
WOW!! GREAT!!! So threadlock on all metal- CHECK,

Can you recommend a great shock brand for my RC8, i think im done with AE's shocks.

And maybe to help you, the night before a race i take Focus Factor vitamins!
that may help with your motivation....

Thanks again

my, guess whould be to try out the mugen mbx6 shocks since there pretty long like the rc8 shocks the best thing to do is find out the leagth of the mugen shocks and match them up to the rc8 big bores .

you whould likely have to use diffrent shock mounts or screws .
tc5 man is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 12:03 PM   #6
Tech Regular

Id say Im lacking in engine tuning. It feels a bit like I know exactly what to do in theory but in practice the engine doesnt respond as it should to changes :P
My old OS engine was impossible for example to get it to let go of the throttle completely after going full throttle. Like for a few seconds it wanted to rev even when the carb was physicly in the bottom.
Figured it had to do with the idle set too high while it was running lean on the low end. So I reduced the low end and the idle but it just wanted to stop and bog down all the time then...
Funny thing is that Ive run Picco and Novarossi in the past and never had problems with those engines. But Ive had that throttle issue on both my OS engines :P
TLR 22 Toro 9.0kv Futaba BLS451
Futaba 4PK
Lilja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 12:12 PM   #7
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilja View Post
Id say Im lacking in engine tuning. It feels a bit like I know exactly what to do in theory but in practice the engine doesnt respond as it should to changes :P
My old OS engine was impossible for example to get it to let go of the throttle completely after going full throttle. Like for a few seconds it wanted to rev even when the carb was physicly in the bottom.
Figured it had to do with the idle set too high while it was running lean on the low end. So I reduced the low end and the idle but it just wanted to stop and bog down all the time then...
Funny thing is that Ive run Picco and Novarossi in the past and never had problems with those engines. But Ive had that throttle issue on both my OS engines :P
Im sure you already know this but those that read this ^^^ if this happens to you first thing to do if you get lost in your settings, always return needles back to stock and go from there, - newbie advise but you never know who reads these's threads and never post.

Old 03-19-2011, 12:20 PM   #8
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I lack in driving consistency . About half way through the race it looks like i hand my t/x to someone else for a couple laps. LOL
I seem to lack the right tires a lot too, which i guess is contributing to my inconsistent driving, but i have setup and tuning down pretty good. ( other than picking the right tires )
romax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 12:21 PM   #9
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 107 (100%+)

I lack impulse buying control.

There are so many options in RC it is hard not to try them all.
Old 03-19-2011, 12:28 PM   #10
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 45 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to boomgagem

Lilja that normally is a sign of rich high speed and lean low speed.

I'm like Scotty. I can drive really smooth, and don't wreck often, but I am still slower fastest lap wise then everyone. My biggest problem is not being more aggressive and trying to be faster. I also have a problem with general cat setup. I feel like I know what I want the car to do more, but I get lost in making adjustments.

Like at the Psycho Nitro Blast, the car was really loose, I could barely get on the throttle without it getting all squirley. I had went up in the center from 5k to 7k and in the rear I went up to 3k from 2k. After reading after the race, it seems like I went in the wrong direction.

I guess I'm afraid of making adjustments. And I don't have enough time at the track to change something, see if it helps or not.
boomgagem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 12:31 PM   #11
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 45 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to boomgagem

Quote:
Originally Posted by romax View Post
I lack in driving consistency . About half way through the race it looks like i hand my t/x to someone else for a couple laps. LOL
I seem to lack the right tires a lot too, which i guess is contributing to my inconsistent driving, but i have setup and tuning down pretty good. ( other than picking the right tires )
I am pretty consistent. During a race, try hearing your truck. Try listening for your engine and not the announcer, other drivers on the stand, or trying to figure out where another racer is on the track.

I have always told my cousin if you can't hit the triple 10 out of 10 times, just double single it.
boomgagem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 12:51 PM   #12
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)
Default break setup

I don't know if this will help

setting up good brakes is a little difficult
most of the issues i have seen and helped others with is the linkage
on most buggies have a theaded linkage brake setup set screw stops

remove linkage from servo
remove set screw stop place about 1/4" fuel tubing on both linkages the "longer the fuel tubing the more linear feel" replace setscrew stop dial out all the linkages. make the brake linkage the fullest length also the throttle
turn on servo
center servo on transmitter
set the throttle linkage first with a little spring pressure on the carb 1/16-1/8" mount linkage on servo with the throttle pressure

very very important try to have 90* angles on all linkage
you might need to adjust the brakes leavers f/r and carb position

now lets set the brakes
transmitter on with the servo in 0 center & with the pressure on the carb there should be no pressure on the brakes the buggy/truggy should roll freely

now adjust front/ rear tenisinon while testing with your transmitter
lift the rear roll back and forth to set the bias on the front and vise versa for the rear

you can do the same with the ball cup type

you should always set the throttle/carb first

never use the radio to increase or decrease the brake feel more then a couple of set points on the raido if you still cant get enough brakes or to much. reset the linkage!

i run about 70% rear 30% front brakes bias it helps rotate better in the corners
Old 03-19-2011, 12:54 PM   #13
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by boomgagem View Post
I am pretty consistent. During a race, try hearing your truck. Try listening for your engine and not the announcer, other drivers on the stand, or trying to figure out where another racer is on the track.

I have always told my cousin if you can't hit the triple 10 out of 10 times, just double single it.
Good advise!

Old 03-19-2011, 12:59 PM   #14
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackmagic21 View Post
I don't know if this will help

setting up good brakes is a little difficult
most of the issues i have seen and helped others with is the linkage
on most buggies have a theaded linkage brake setup set screw stops

remove linkage from servo
remove set screw stop place about 1/4" fuel tubing on both linkages the "longer the fuel tubing the more linear feel" replace setscrew stop dial out all the linkages. make the brake linkage the fullest length also the throttle
turn on servo
center servo on transmitter
set the throttle linkage first with a little spring pressure on the carb 1/16-1/8" mount linkage on servo with the throttle pressure

very very important try to have 90* angles on all linkage
you might need to adjust the brakes leavers f/r and carb position

now lets set the brakes
transmitter on with the servo in 0 center & with the pressure on the carb there should be no pressure on the brakes the buggy/truggy should roll freely

now adjust front/ rear tenisinon while testing with your transmitter
lift the rear roll back and forth to set the bias on the front and vise versa for the rear

you can do the same with the ball cup type

you should always set the throttle/carb first

never use the radio to increase or decrease the brake feel more then a couple of set points on the raido if you still cant get enough brakes or to much. reset the linkage!

i run about 70% rear 30% front brakes bias it helps rotate better in the corners
Within 5mins i have now up'ed my skill level in all my lacking departments!!

Thanks Guys, if your lacking somewhere post it here.

Old 03-19-2011, 01:11 PM   #15
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Quote:
Within 5mins i have now up'ed my skill level in all my lacking departments!!

Thanks Guys, if your lacking somewhere post it here.

if you can some how talk my wife into letting me race more
that is were i'm lacking