R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 03-19-2011, 07:07 PM   #31
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 93 (100%+)

Staying consistent in longer races is where I seem to be lacking. I also let the announcer get to me while on the stand. Happened last weekend at the PNB. After 20 minutes I was leading the B main sportsman buggy until I made a couple mistakes in a row. Once the announcer started pointing out all my little hiccups, and that the other guys were catching me, I started screwing up more and more until I was moved back down the ranks. Got so bad, my buggy fell off pit lane and landed upside down on the straight.

One other area is getting clutch bearings to last. I can usually only make about 30-45 minutes before they come apart. I have tried shimming them loose, tight, and all areas in between.

Stephen
Old 03-19-2011, 07:16 PM   #32
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 94 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by toobad4u View Post

One other area is getting clutch bearings to last. I can usually only make about 30-45 minutes before they come apart. I have tried shimming them loose, tight, and all areas in between.

Stephen
CB and spur gear mesh play a large roll along with the engine being square to the spur with bearing life. try messing with mesh and make sure the motor isnt cockeyed in there. that should get you some more time out of em.
---Xray, RC America, Pro-Line Racing, FX Royal, Hudy, KO Propo, 92zero Designs, Vision Racing Products, RW-Mods, Team Loosenuts, forddesigns.net--- Big Thanks to: Wheel Brokers Track and Shop, Pine City MN~ "Stompy"
rider313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 07:45 PM   #33
Tech Prophet

Quote:
Originally Posted by toobad4u View Post
Staying consistent in longer races is where I seem to be lacking. I also let the announcer get to me while on the stand. Happened last weekend at the PNB. After 20 minutes I was leading the B main sportsman buggy until I made a couple mistakes in a row. Once the announcer started pointing out all my little hiccups, and that the other guys were catching me, I started screwing up more and more until I was moved back down the ranks. Got so bad, my buggy fell off pit lane and landed upside down on the straight.

Stephen

tko clutch bearings highly remmend them they may cost a little more but man they do last for about a gallon or so .

and they stay smooth for a gallon or more not kidding.
i love them !
tc5 man is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 08:05 PM   #34
Tech Addict

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rc8 racer View Post
i struggle with finding a good set up everytime. mostly if traction is low. i seem to always forget about the clutch. i bet if i had stoffened up the clutch my issues may have gone away or atleast improved.
If you have an iphone, or any phone that can get apps, there is an app called the "rc cheat sheet" i belive that has all the different track conditions and the recomended set up for the track

RC8B3 - OS Speed .19 - S9352HV - 4PKS
DiZzYNaTiOn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 08:41 PM   #35
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiZzYNaTiOn View Post
Wow a journal is a good idea i never thought of!!!
I have 3 tracks i go to on a regular basis. Once you have been about 8 or 10 times, you will see trends that work for you at each of these tracks. Couple other tracks i get to when we visit family that I hit a couple times a year. My brother-in- law is being transfered to texas, looking forward to going there, hear there are some good tracks.
Muggified LST- Teal head 427, RD logic pipe, JR servos, panther tires
morkendi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 03:20 PM   #36
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by rider313 View Post
CB and spur gear mesh play a large roll along with the engine being square to the spur with bearing life. try messing with mesh and make sure the motor isnt cockeyed in there. that should get you some more time out of em.
+1....one of my buds had the same problem...turns out his motor was crooked.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tc5 man View Post
tko clutch bearings highly remmend them they may cost a little more but man they do last for about a gallon or so .

and they stay smooth for a gallon or more not kidding.
i love them !
+1....I ran my TKO bearings for so long I replaced them out of fear....and try to stay away from $1.00 bearings
Old 03-29-2011, 07:45 PM   #37
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Well where do I start! I had a severe head injury over 2 1/2 years ago and that got me back into the hobby, I still suffer with a 24/7 headache, lack of sleep, dizziness, nausea and vomitting so it makes it 1,000,000 times harder.
I would say my tuning experience with my Reedy 121vr could be better, getting around the track without getting dizzy and crashing(I end up going slower so I can keep the dizziness to a minimum), I had one race last year and in my buggy qualifier I went up a step up and couldn't see exactly what I was doing and landed over the barrier and into the pond. The announcer at the track also held up the truggy main for me because I was getting really dizzy and vomitting. I think my racing is pretty bad (probably why I didn't race anymore after that) but I like practices, tuning the engine and suspension for my buggy and truggy and for my sons buggy, he said he wants to race this year and if things go good I'm gonna get him going. He runs good but when he gets anxious he doesn't do so good but I keep telling him to pace himself and it'll get faster, he's only a couple seconds off the local guys times. I get out of the way if I get lapped, I am curteous. I liked to race and was pretty good in 1/10 electric buggy, stadium truck and nitro stadium truck way back in 2000 was the last season I raced. Besides the injury being a handful the guys at the track are awesome and when I can hold my lines and go faster it feels like I've accomplished something.(even if it's only for a couple of laps)
Old 03-29-2011, 08:12 PM   #38
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Engine tuning. After a couple of years of racing I still cannot tune an engine. I know what its doing and where to tune due to the noise its making but I cannot get it to work out right.

If there was one thing I wish I was good at it would be how to tune an engine.
Old 03-29-2011, 08:16 PM   #39
Suspended

Trader Rating: 202 (96%+)

carrying speed through the corners is my down fall.
inferno13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 08:28 PM   #40
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiZzYNaTiOn View Post
If you have an iphone, or any phone that can get apps, there is an app called the "rc cheat sheet" i belive that has all the different track conditions and the recomended set up for the track
I just looked for that App and cant find it.
Rc Pro ProDucts Team Driver www.rcproproducts.com
Hobby Pro USA Team Driver www.vp-pro-usa.com
thenova70ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 08:33 PM   #41
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by thenova70ss View Post
I just looked for that App and cant find it.
i think this one is droid,..........http://market.android.com/details?id...=search_result
Old 03-29-2011, 08:38 PM   #42
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by inferno13 View Post
i think this one is droid,..........http://market.android.com/details?id...=search_result
Yes its droid only. No app for the iphone yet.
Old 03-29-2011, 08:41 PM   #43
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dishsoap View Post
Engine tuning. After a couple of years of racing I still cannot tune an engine. I know what its doing and where to tune due to the noise its making but I cannot get it to work out right.

If there was one thing I wish I was good at it would be how to tune an engine.
go brushless! consistant power with every pull of the trigger.no tuning..no glow plugs, fuel and starter box..charge and go..used to be nuts about nitro but now I will never go back!
nitronutzzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 08:43 PM   #44
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitronutzzz View Post
go brushless! constant power with every pull of the trigger.no tuning..no glow plus, fuel and starter box..charge and go..used to be nuts about nitro but now I will never go back!
id love to argue with ya, but i want you to send out my lipo tomorrow....LOL
Old 03-29-2011, 08:44 PM   #45
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Well this is a good read... My biggest struggle in RC is maintaining the fun factor. I am hyper competitive and hate loosing buy I also want to have fun. My 8 year old is now getting into the sport this year and I want to make sure he keeps it fun no matter if he wins or looses.

I think my best driving happens when I am well prepared for race day and completly relaxed on the driver stand. I try to race myself on the track not my buddies, that helps me stay relaxed. I also have a morphine drip which i can hit if needed
nitrosteve is offline   Reply With Quote