Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road
8ight T 2.0 or RC8T FT >

8ight T 2.0 or RC8T FT

8ight T 2.0 or RC8T FT

Old 03-15-2011, 11:52 AM
Tech Rookie

Default 8ight T 2.0 or RC8T FT

I know you're all going to tell me what a huge can of worms I've opened with this topic, as I have been browsing threads of this nature for a while now, but none seem to be as particular to my needs as most others.

To cut a long story short, in the coming months I'm hoping to purchase a new 1/8 scale Truggy to race and half a good bash around on a non-race weekend also.

The main things I look for in a car are that it handles well and is easy to get around a track with a decent level of smoothness, but also so if I do come off and have a crash that I'll have a good chance of not causing the car any major damage.

Over the years I've owned a few Losi's and a few Associated cars and I've much preferred my associated cars as I've had a lot less problems with breakage and finding parts. But I've heard a lot of good things about the 8ight and in my mind I can't choose between them.

Any possible insight you could give me to help me choose which car to purchase would be greatly appreciated.

Also, I've been eyeing up the Xray truggy for a while so if anyone has any information for me on that as well as the two I mentioned it'd be wicked.
Old 03-16-2011, 05:26 AM
Tech Rookie

Shameless self bump

Need of help guys
Old 03-16-2011, 05:44 AM
Tech Prophet

well, from previously owning a losi 1.0 t there pretty strong the downside is the quick drivetrain wear which i dint care for to much they get sloppy on the suspension quickly but thats not to big of a deal.

now, i just get a rc8t ce im putting together and if ask me you get a better deal than the 2.0 t and from people i talked to they said its pretty strong and from looking at the parts they look like it.

i like the plastic quality better also with the rc8t ce.

there both good with the right setup thats what most people will tell you on here.
Old 03-16-2011, 05:54 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 68 (100%+)

I have currently been running the Losi and I like the truck. I have driven both and for a cheaper price on the truck and the parts, I would more than likely have to go with the Associated. Wear and tear is a bit better and there is absolutely no throttle servo issues (can of worms within itself). I just think it would be the better truck for the average racer without all the attention.
I like my Losi and I paid cost for it back when Horizon was throwing them out the door at a cheap price. That is pretty much the reason I got one. I wouldn't pay over $500 for it though. In my opinion, it's simply not that much better than anything else that's out right now. Being fast is up to you, not always what you're driving.
If interested in the Associated, PM me, might be able to come up with a good price for you.
Old 03-16-2011, 07:15 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

I've driven all that you mentioned and own the Xray.

A good friend of mine had the Losi for a year before he got out of RC. It was a good truck, fast, and handled very well. The downside was I hated working on it for him because it always felt like it was about to fall apart. After every race he would have to go through it and tighten screws. It was sloppy from the very beginning and only got worse over time.

The associated seems to be a little better than Losi with the slop, but not quite as nimble either. I've only driven one once and it felt very planted, but I couldn't make it turn. That could have been his setup too. I owned a RC8 a couple of years ago and it was a complete pile of junk. I swore off associated after that.

The Xray is of course my favorite. The truck is a freaking tank and almost impossible to break. After almost 2 years with this truck, I broke my first A arm this past weekend and it was 100% my fault. I came off the face of a large triple all retarded and hit a 4x4 that was sticking up out of the dirt. The truck has a very light feel to it and handles the best out of everything I have driven. It's very nimble on the track even with the basic setup. It also leave room to get a lot more steering out of the truck if you want it that way. My setup is a bit twitchy, but that's how I like it. The truck just really seems to respond perfectly for my needs and Xray quality has proven to be among the top in RC. It cost more, but it's for a reason. You really are getting what you pay for.
Old 03-16-2011, 07:44 AM
Tech Elite

Can't compare Losi 1.0 to anything. Now they both are good trucks. But if you go AE you should go with the CE.
Old 03-16-2011, 07:50 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 94 (100%+)

I went from the rc8t ce to the losi 8ight t 2.0. After driving the losi I will never go back to the assosiated. I didnt like one thing about it. With a bone stock 8T 2.0 I was able to put in faster laps then the rc8t after a few tanks. And I spent a year tuning and messing with it and it never did what I wanted it to.

So the Losi is a lil sloppy and drive train wears faster then some would like. But it is a very free drive train. I could never get the Ce to spin as free as the losi does and i wasn't to pleased with it's drive were either.

Like others have stated I have also sworn off Ae. There is just better stuff out there.
Old 03-16-2011, 07:52 AM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by pickle311
I've driven all that you mentioned and own the Xray.

A good friend of mine had the Losi for a year before he got out of RC. It was a good truck, fast, and handled very well. The downside was I hated working on it for him because it always felt like it was about to fall apart. After every race he would have to go through it and tighten screws. It was sloppy from the very beginning and only got worse over time.

The associated seems to be a little better than Losi with the slop, but not quite as nimble either. I've only driven one once and it felt very planted, but I couldn't make it turn. That could have been his setup too. I owned a RC8 a couple of years ago and it was a complete pile of junk. I swore off associated after that.

The Xray is of course my favorite. The truck is a freaking tank and almost impossible to break. After almost 2 years with this truck, I broke my first A arm this past weekend and it was 100% my fault. I came off the face of a large triple all retarded and hit a 4x4 that was sticking up out of the dirt. The truck has a very light feel to it and handles the best out of everything I have driven. It's very nimble on the track even with the basic setup. It also leave room to get a lot more steering out of the truck if you want it that way. My setup is a bit twitchy, but that's how I like it. The truck just really seems to respond perfectly for my needs and Xray quality has proven to be among the top in RC. It cost more, but it's for a reason. You really are getting what you pay for.
Yeah, I was thinking about purchasing one last year but money got quite tight and I got really occupied with college and stuff, but last year when I was thinking about getting into it more again I was actually looking at the Xray, problem is I don't know anywhere near me who sells it, which would also mean parts will be a nightmare to get a hold of, but I'll definitely try and find a way to sort out an Xray if I can.

As for the Losi and the AE, which one in your personal opinion would you have to race with, if you were to go out right now and choose between the 2?

Originally Posted by token
Can't compare Losi 1.0 to anything. Now they both are good trucks. But if you go AE you should go with the CE.
I been out of the game for a few years now man so you'll have to tell me, what's the difference between the FT and the CE?
Old 03-16-2011, 09:24 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

I personally don't let parts availability sway my decision if they are readily available online. Some people do though and it's understandable. With Xray you really don't need a stockpile of parts at the races. I'm not going to sit here and say they don't break because even the Titanic was sinkable. I will say that they are build better than the others mentioned and everything else I have touched. I've never broken in a race in almost 2 years with this truck. I just rebuilt everything on it and I was still running all of the original A arms, hubs, everything.
If I had to choose between the Losi and AE, I honestly don't know which way I would go. The Losi is faster, but wears out too quickly and I've seen too many people destroy diffs on them.
As already stated, I've given up on AE.
I would buy a Mugen, Hot Bodies, or wait on the Serpent before I bought either of those 2. Heck, if the Serpent is as good as I'm hearing, I may have to try it out. It would take a lot to pull me away from Xray, but I know Serpent quality is right there.
Old 03-16-2011, 09:42 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

Here locally AE and Losi are the predominantly raced rollers. As others have said here, the Losi without question wears out quicker and the parts quality overall is not quite as good. I personally would go with the Associated, they are about to come out with some new updated parts including a slightly longer chassis and redeisgned shock towers to improve handling for larger tracks with longer straightaways(and you would have 2 chassis to swap between depending on the type of track your racing at ). So IMO I'd go with the Associated. Either way though your getting a vehicle thats going to only be limited by your own driving ability and knowledge or how to properly set up a vehicle for a given track.
Old 03-16-2011, 09:53 AM
Tech Rookie

I think out of the Losi and the Associated I've chosen the associated for now, but I'm really interested in the Xray now, so thanks for that insight pickle311.

I'm also interested in knowing more about this Serpant, it sounds quite cool.
Old 03-16-2011, 11:23 AM
Tech Prophet

Originally Posted by savi0r
I think out of the Losi and the Associated I've chosen the associated for now, but I'm really interested in the Xray now, so thanks for that insight pickle311.

I'm also interested in knowing more about this Serpant, it sounds quite cool.

good choice on the associated

on, here to be honest you will just hear what truggy fits each others driving style.
i dont think any other truggy is faster than one other its all in the drivers hand really .

to be honest with all the tuning upgrade on the rc8t ce i dont know why anybody coulnt get to handle to thier liking .
Old 03-16-2011, 11:33 AM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by tc5 man
good choice on the associated

on, here to be honest you will just hear what truggy fits each others driving style.

to be honest with all the tuning upgrade on the rc8t ce i dont know why anybody coulnt get to handle to thier liking .
Haha yeah man, the last truggy I owned was a HPI Hellfire RTR, so there's not really much to beat. I just don't wanna make the wrong choice and Losi have been a pain in my ass in the past so I'll go with what I know.

Can you tell me the difference between the CE and the FT?
Old 03-16-2011, 11:35 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 45 (100%+)

Keep some extra fuel tanks on hand with the Associated.
Old 03-16-2011, 11:47 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 68 (100%+)

I wouldn't worry about the fuel tank. I have either owned or ran them all and having a few parts is a good idea regardless of what brand you run.
Fuel tanks are priceless considering the amount of servos that I've seen the Losi guys carrying around.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.