Wiki Posts
Search

Hudy Buggy Starter-Box

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2011, 12:42 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 40 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Jaap
Could you please show me in Hobby King the battery that you used?

Also what options do I have so as not to dremmel the plastic?

Will these batteris do the job?
http://www.radiocontrolexperts.com/c...00mah-292.html
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...idProduct=9177

You could use a file to make it fit. It would just take a little bit of work to get it to fit
Old 03-31-2011, 12:48 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by andre lim
Hi Ben, May i know where u got the starter box from? Thanks
I got mine when I came back to australia for work
Old 05-24-2011, 12:55 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 94 (100%+)

can 775 motors take 5S lipo voltage?
Old 05-24-2011, 01:50 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 148 (100%+)

You guys that have this box really think it's as good as the ofna truggy box?
Old 05-25-2011, 10:58 AM
Tech Lord

Any comparison to the Ofna Truggy box.
Old 05-25-2011, 11:00 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by Frank L
i have the ofna truggy box. i just got the hudy one for my serpent. Hopefully, i will try it this weekend if all goes well. if i don't, i'll post comparisons.
Old 05-25-2011, 12:06 PM
Tech Lord

Originally Posted by teeforb
i have the ofna truggy box. i just got the hudy one for my serpent. Hopefully, i will try it this weekend if all goes well. if i don't, i'll post comparisons.
cool.
Old 05-25-2011, 07:24 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

I have had the Ofna box for a few years and then switched to the Mugen box because it was smaller and just as powerful, now I have the Hudy which is even smaller but has all the power and IMO better quality.
Old 05-26-2011, 01:04 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Hi Frank, I have both. Here is my honest comparison.

I first bought the Hudy box because it is the lightest and most compact buggy/truggy box on the market. Then purchased the Ofna later on after all the positive comments on rctech about it.

Hudy:
The Hudy feels like it’s made of higher quality than the Ofna truggy box. Smoother nicer finish, bit more elegant in its design and construction. Just my opinion.

The on/off switch is placed in a better spot on the Hudy. Never flicked on accidently, but on my Ofna it has been switched on accidently in my storage bag a few times.

Hudy has a nicer opening mechanism for the lid to access the battery. Lid uses a clip system to open and shut.

I actually blew the 775 single motor in the Hudy breaking in a CWR B6. Maybe the 4S was too much for it.

Hudy 775 single motor looks a lot smaller physically to both the Ofna 775 and the Losi 775 I have purchased to replace the blown 775 in my Hudy box.

Hudy box doesn’t have as much inbuilt adjustment as Ofna box.

Hudy has room for only one 4S 5000 Lipo. I had to take to the plastic with the Dremel to make a 5000 Thunderpower 4S fit. Also remember the TP 5000 4S is a lot smaller than the Hong Kong Specials 4S 5000. I don’t think you can get a HK special 4S 5000 to fit. I have a HK special (Turnigy) 4S 4000 and it’s too big for the Hudy even if you dremel.

Ofna:
Big and bulky but built tough. Finish isn’t as nice as Hudy, some sharp edges, screw tips exposed, need to add a couple of washes on lid hinges etc.

Much more adjustment than Hudy. I haven’t had to drill or hack anything on it to fit my Agama and both 4S and 3S 5000 Lipos.

More space in the Ofna. I use a competition heat warmer so I have a 3S and 4S 5000 Lipo installed side by side in my Ofna with plenty of space to spare. Also I can run the comp heat warmer cable through one of the vent holes on plastic back plate of the Ofna. Real handy if you use the comp heat engine warmer. There is just so much room inside the Ofna that you can do a lot.

Did not have to cut, dremel or modify anything than use the Onfa’s own built in adjustments to fit my narrow chassis Agama perfectly. No matter what I did the Hudy would rub (required more modifications, extra hole for pin placement etc).

Annoying lid design where you have to unscrew a screw every time you want to open the box lid to connect or disconnect your batteries. The Hudy mechanism is much nicer and a better design.

The twin 775’s in the Onfa are physically bigger. No idea whether that’s a good thing or bad thing. But as I said, I’ve blown the engine in the Hudy, yet the twins in the Ofna are not even breaking a sweat with the same 4S 5000 Lipo. I rewired both boxes to use Deans plugs.

My choice: Ofna blue truggy box, rewire it to use Deans, 4S 5000 Lipo, hook up a Lipo low voltage buzzer to the balance plug (which I need to do) and you’re done. For 1/8th racing buggy or truggy you won’t need anything else and power won’t fade over 2 days of full on practise and racing.

I now know why the Ofna is so popular. Don’t get me wrong I like the Hudy and I will replace the motor when I get around to it and keep it. But If I was to choose one over the other I would pick the Ofna. It’s not perfect but I just prefer its versatility.

I’ll try post some pics of both boxes open with the same battery in each.

I’m no expert and this is just my own experience. Hope this helps anyone trying to decide between the both.
Old 05-26-2011, 02:31 AM
JsK
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Originally Posted by John.
Hi Frank, I have both. Here is my honest comparison.

I first bought the Hudy box because it is the lightest and most compact buggy/truggy box on the market. Then purchased the Ofna later on after all the positive comments on rctech about it.

Hudy:
The Hudy feels like it’s made of higher quality than the Ofna truggy box. Smoother nicer finish, bit more elegant in its design and construction. Just my opinion.

The on/off switch is placed in a better spot on the Hudy. Never flicked on accidently, but on my Ofna it has been switched on accidently in my storage bag a few times.

Hudy has a nicer opening mechanism for the lid to access the battery. Lid uses a clip system to open and shut.

I actually blew the 775 single motor in the Hudy breaking in a CWR B6. Maybe the 4S was too much for it.

Hudy 775 single motor looks a lot smaller physically to both the Ofna 775 and the Losi 775 I have purchased to replace the blown 775 in my Hudy box.

Hudy box doesn’t have as much inbuilt adjustment as Ofna box.

Hudy has room for only one 4S 5000 Lipo. I had to take to the plastic with the Dremel to make a 5000 Thunderpower 4S fit. Also remember the TP 5000 4S is a lot smaller than the Hong Kong Specials 4S 5000. I don’t think you can get a HK special 4S 5000 to fit. I have a HK special (Turnigy) 4S 4000 and it’s too big for the Hudy even if you dremel.

Ofna:
Big and bulky but built tough. Finish isn’t as nice as Hudy, some sharp edges, screw tips exposed, need to add a couple of washes on lid hinges etc.

Much more adjustment than Hudy. I haven’t had to drill or hack anything on it to fit my Agama and both 4S and 3S 5000 Lipos.

More space in the Ofna. I use a competition heat warmer so I have a 3S and 4S 5000 Lipo installed side by side in my Ofna with plenty of space to spare. Also I can run the comp heat warmer cable through one of the vent holes on plastic back plate of the Ofna. Real handy if you use the comp heat engine warmer. There is just so much room inside the Ofna that you can do a lot.

Did not have to cut, dremel or modify anything than use the Onfa’s own built in adjustments to fit my narrow chassis Agama perfectly. No matter what I did the Hudy would rub (required more modifications, extra hole for pin placement etc).

Annoying lid design where you have to unscrew a screw every time you want to open the box lid to connect or disconnect your batteries. The Hudy mechanism is much nicer and a better design.

The twin 775’s in the Onfa are physically bigger. No idea whether that’s a good thing or bad thing. But as I said, I’ve blown the engine in the Hudy, yet the twins in the Ofna are not even breaking a sweat with the same 4S 5000 Lipo. I rewired both boxes to use Deans plugs.

My choice: Ofna blue truggy box, rewire it to use Deans, 4S 5000 Lipo, hook up a Lipo low voltage buzzer to the balance plug (which I need to do) and you’re done. For 1/8th racing buggy or truggy you won’t need anything else and power won’t fade over 2 days of full on practise and racing.

I now know why the Ofna is so popular. Don’t get me wrong I like the Hudy and I will replace the motor when I get around to it and keep it. But If I was to choose one over the other I would pick the Ofna. It’s not perfect but I just prefer its versatility.

I’ll try post some pics of both boxes open with the same battery in each.

I’m no expert and this is just my own experience. Hope this helps anyone trying to decide between the both.
Well said. The OFNA box might not be perfect but its about as good as they
get. Powerful , rugged , versatile , whats not to like about it.....well maybe
getting it mixed up with the sea of other blue boxes in pit lane
Old 05-26-2011, 07:00 AM
Tech Lord

John thanks. That's exactly what I was looking for.
Old 05-29-2011, 01:01 PM
Tech Champion

John thanks. That's exactly what I was looking for.
I used the hudy to start a brand new argus a52 using a comp heater and it started right up! No hesitation what so ever. Comparing to the ofna Truggy box, it's by far smaller and lighter and a lot less going on. I highly recommend it!
Old 05-29-2011, 01:07 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 120 (100%+)

I just got mine thursday and used it yesterday and it works great I really like where the switch is might have to buy another one or two
Old 05-29-2011, 04:50 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by John.
I don’t think you can get a HK special 4S 5000 to fit. I have a HK special (Turnigy) 4S 4000 and it’s too big for the Hudy even if you dremel.
turnigy 5000mah 4S does fit. <5min with dremel and it slots in perfectly. no wiggle room but it fits and the box buttons up perfectly
Old 05-29-2011, 08:23 PM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 202 (96%+)

OFNA for me!! best box on the market!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.