R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 03-13-2011, 05:08 PM   #1
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default advice needed

I am looking to get back into racing RC after about 12 years off. I raced electric road course, but there is a dirt track near me that my son wants to start racing in the electrics. I myself may start with the Nitro class since thats what most guys are running here on saturdays.

So what is a really good truck to start with? I dont really want a good starter truck, I am wanting a nice truck to advance with as I get my skills back. Not one that will only work for me for a little while.

I'm not against buying a used truck as long as I know what to get and to look for. I dont know much about the dirt stuff since I wasnt ever really into them.

Thanks
Taxman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 05:29 PM   #2
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 45 (100%+)

I like the losi 2.0 8t ! great truck and durable
rc racer 103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 05:40 PM   #3
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 235 (100%+)

If your looking for a truggy and need everything to go with it.,Starter box,Radio,servo's. Complete rtr I would go for the losi 2.0t. Very durable,easy to drive and you can upgrade to better parts as you go.
Serpent S11T Losi ten scte Houston Tuned Team Toronero 2084 ss, plus 4 team 9901 ss pipe Hitech servos Proline tires SPONSORS T@T MOTOR SPORTS AND SKIDOO racing TEAM TERRIBLES,And finally my wallet.In Memory of my Boy Brian!
teamlosi906 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 05:53 PM   #4
Tech Apprentice

I havent thought a lot about going with a Truggy or just a truck. I guess the truggy would be more stable with the wider stance?
Old 03-13-2011, 05:56 PM   #5
Tech Prophet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taxman View Post
I havent thought a lot about going with a Truggy or just a truck. I guess the truggy would be more stable with the wider stance?

oh yea a truggy is way more stable and wider than a truck which i think your talking about a monster truck.
tc5 man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 07:03 PM   #6
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to rangerjkb

If you have an opportunity, I'd recommend visiting your local track and see what the local fast guys are running, maybe even be able to drive one a few laps. If possible drive a few different brands to make your decission easier. You realy can't go wrong with any of the top name brands. In my opinion, the MBX6T is a very stable, durable truck that has very good drivetrain wear characteristics and can be raced at the highest levels. The downfall is depending on your location there maybe a short supply of parts if you break. Truggy is a great starting point getting into Nitro racing and is more forgiving than a buggy. Best of luck in your decision and wish you the best at the track!
rangerjkb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 07:16 PM   #7
Tech Apprentice

I dont know that the local track carries a ton of Mugen parts if I ever needed them. I'll have to check. I know they have a lot of support for Traxxas, Associated and a couple others. I hope to get out there again this next saturday and meet some people.
Old 03-13-2011, 07:16 PM   #8
Tech Apprentice

I dont know that the local track carries a ton of Mugen parts if I ever needed them. I'll have to check. I know they have a lot of support for Traxxas, Associated and a couple others. I hope to get out there again this next saturday and meet some people.
Old 03-13-2011, 07:53 PM   #9
Tech Prophet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taxman View Post

do you want a rtr 1/8 or a kit , roller ?
tc5 man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 08:20 PM   #10
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

rc8t
mbx6t
losi 2.0t

Most common and successful truggies in my area.

All work well, I agree with the approach of going to the track, talking to people and seeing what works for you.
aray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 02:01 AM   #11
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by rangerjkb View Post
If you have an opportunity, I'd recommend visiting your local track and see what the local fast guys are running, maybe even be able to drive one a few laps. If possible drive a few different brands to make your decission easier.
Good advise, if one is to expect that these cars have perfected their setup.
If one of them is on a bad setup that would really mess it up.

But then as you say, you can't really go wrong with any of the top brands.

I would one up on the Losi. The 8ight-t 2.0 RTR kit is easely the best way to start with a serious truck and get everything you need in one box.
Old 03-14-2011, 06:15 AM   #12
Tech Apprentice

RTR vs kit. I could go either way, but for cost effectivness the RTR might be better to start with. I could get back on the track and see if I want to try and race for a while again without spending tons of money on something I would just try to sell this summer.

I saw the 8ight-t 2.0 RTR and kind of liked it. And the price was pretty good to get me started.

I used to race the RC10 years ago. Electric. I do like the Associated stuff too. The RC8t could work. So either of these would probably work for me.

The only issue I have with Nitro is, no experience with it, no pit help ( yet ).

I would just go back to electric but they only run them on Wed nights and I dont live that close to the track. About an hour away. So Saturdays are my only day to get out there and they all run Nitros and there are a couple of electric classes running with maybe 6-7 trucks or buggies in each one. Kind of a run what you brung deal. 2wd or 4x4. So not a big show for them on the weekends.
Old 03-14-2011, 05:20 PM   #13
Tech Initiate

go to the ten nearest hobbyshops and see what they all carry then make a choice part availablity is important losi associated mugen are great cars to look at
ncpene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 06:00 PM   #14
Tech Apprentice

I wish we had 10. More like 3-4. I am going to stick with the 3-4 top brands and was wondering which models may perform better than the other. I am getting some good advice here and thanks for that.
Old 03-14-2011, 06:10 PM   #15
Tech Addict

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

what does your local hobby shop care parts for, Associated,Losi,mugen? which ever one, but then again i havent been to a hobby shop in 3 years since i found
a great ebay seller, pa39r, nitro-master,hopmeup, and rc-boyz are some of the best out there.

Ok, so for sure go with 1/8 scale.

My recommendation is the Factory Team RC8.....

If ready to run then losi8 2.0

RC8B3 - OS Speed .19 - S9352HV - 4PKS
DiZzYNaTiOn is offline   Reply With Quote