R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Nitro Off-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-off-road-130/)
-   -   going half throttle to more throttle when on the lip of the jump or appoaching it ? (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-off-road/491801-going-half-throttle-more-throttle-when-lip-jump-appoaching.html)

tc5 man 03-13-2011 02:17 PM

going half throttle to more throttle when on the lip of the jump or appoaching it ?

tell me if you guys have seen this before at your track ?

i know i have and it seems like it makes it easier to clear a big double or a triple jump and make your landing more level .

i might try this during practice for the outdoor season.

DiZzYNaTiOn 03-13-2011 02:34 PM

Man with the car designs now days and the torque in these motors that doing it at the lip will work fine, if theres no corner right away i do it approaching, and if possible a little more at the lip, i like to fly in air with nose up a little then bring it down towards landing.

To answer question, i have seen it. Sometimes hard to notice while racing though.

tc5 man 03-13-2011 02:43 PM

Originally Posted by DiZzYNaTiOn (Post 8794840)
Man with the car designs now days and the torque in these motors that doing it at the lip will work fine, if theres no corner right away i do it approaching, and if possible a little more at the lip, i like to fly in air with nose up a little then bring it down towards landing.

To answer question, i have seen it. Sometimes hard to notice while racing though.

yea thats how i jump like you and tap the brake to downside a big jump .

i , couldnt notice when i was racing with others the driving stand but when i watching others and listening to thier throttle closetly i heard some guys doing that mostly in the pro class truggys not sportsman truggy.

i was just wondering why they where doing it and i was thinking it was to clear a triple easier or something .

at least im not the only one that noticed that.

SOMD_Racer 03-13-2011 02:46 PM

Depending on the jump i actually like to charge up to the face wide open then lift off the throttle. I find this makes the car fly level to a little nose down which helps with backsiding the jump.

tc5 man 03-13-2011 02:49 PM

Originally Posted by SOMD_Racer (Post 8794872)
Depending on the jump i actually like to charge up to the face wide open then lift off the throttle. I find this makes the car fly level to a little nose down which helps with backsiding the jump.

i might try that during practice this year with my truggy interestin now i know that could work with a good tune engine though only.

SOMD_Racer 03-13-2011 02:53 PM

Originally Posted by tc5 man (Post 8794881)
i might try that during practice this year with my truggy interestin now i know that could work with a good tune engine though only.

It reallly worked well for me on the old Blue Diamond track in '09 on that huge back stretch jump

morgoth 03-13-2011 03:13 PM

Mhhh, I usually drive to the jump and WOT or almost WOT on the lip of the jump. Just before the car takes off I leave the throttle in neutral so the car flies steady and it should come down automaticly at the end.

jammin32j 03-13-2011 03:31 PM

I usually just stay wide open and do a back flip...lol...j/k... To me it all depends on the type of jump and how far away the landing is.

HR-1320 03-13-2011 06:09 PM

I practice and execute the bubba scrub when ever I can. Which is carry as much speed to the jump as I can and the coast over it and still clear the jump. You hit it fast and fly low. A lot of times there is to much run to a jump and everyone easily throttles up to it and then blips throtle on face of jump. Well you approach the jump slowly and then flew higher than you needed, which equals goin slow. Try it, instead of approaching a typical rc track double jump slow and giving it the gas you need to clear it, just full throttle charge to the face of it and then get off the gas completely. Not all jumps are built for this so use your judgement. Btw bubba scrub is what they call it in motocross racing. If your going fast you will attack every section of the track to the fullest.

tc5 man 03-13-2011 06:22 PM

Originally Posted by HR-1320 (Post 8795750)
I practice and execute the bubba scrub when ever I can. Which is carry as much speed to the jump as I can and the coast over it and still clear the jump. You hit it fast and fly low. A lot of times there is to much run to a jump and everyone easily throttles up to it and then blips throtle on face of jump. Well you approach the jump slowly and then flew higher than you needed, which equals goin slow. Try it, instead of approaching a typical rc track double jump slow and giving it the gas you need to clear it, just full throttle charge to the face of it and then get off the gas completely. Not all jumps are built for this so use your judgement. Btw bubba scrub is what they call it in motocross racing. If your going fast you will attack every section of the track to the fullest.

on a big jump do that ?

SOMD_Racer 03-13-2011 09:04 PM

Originally Posted by tc5 man (Post 8795833)
on a big jump do that ?

yep, this is exactly what I was talking about in my earlier post, it wont work on every jump but you'll find it will with most

neobart 03-14-2011 06:54 AM

It's a way to preload the suspension to get the car to fly a certain way off the jump. Especially the rear will get some preload if you accelerate just at the start of the jump and release just before the car launches. This should cause the rear to kick up and make it easy down down jump the landing.

I can't do it that well yet, but this is one of the things I will start working as soon as my track is dry. That and, lining up the landing horizontally.

pickle311 03-14-2011 07:45 AM

Originally Posted by neobart (Post 8798387)
It's a way to preload the suspension to get the car to fly a certain way off the jump. Especially the rear will get some preload if you accelerate just at the start of the jump and release just before the car launches. This should cause the rear to kick up and make it easy down down jump the landing.

I can't do it that well yet, but this is one of the things I will start working as soon as my track is dry. That and, lining up the landing horizontally.

You are correct, it all has to do with suspension preload. You can work the throttle differently to get the lift you need off the face of a jump as already described. What's happening is the suspension is compressing differently . A nice smooth approach with a steady speed will generally give you the best transition and flight. A slower approach and pinning the throttle at the face of the jump creates more inertia and causes the suspension to compress more on the jump face. Every action has an equal and opposite reaction, remember that? Harder compression on the face = harder rebound when it leaves the face which equates to more lift. You jump higher.
The bubba scrub is the exact opposite and takes a bit more skill. You run up hard and let off the throttle at the face of the jump. This keeps the suspension from compressing as much and you lose lift, but rely on your momentum to carry you over the jump. This can also cause you to nose dive if not done correctly and the timing will be different for every jump.

Just as an example, I was running at a private track yesterday that has a fairly large triple, it's pretty technical too.
At first I was holding a steady throttle through the jump face and easily clearing the jump until I got comfortable on it. One of the guys I was running with would exit the corner slowly so he could get squared up then pin the throttle. He was easily jumping a foot higher than I was because of this. By the end of the day I was screaming out of the corner and scrubbing the jump. I had some nasty crashes until I got my timing down, it's easy to come up short. It makes a difference in lap times but also has a greater margin of error.

cordarrow 03-14-2011 05:19 PM

bubba scrub
Now you've done it. The supercross guys see this and it's another 80 pages...

Please, be careful what you tag.