R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 03-12-2011, 08:45 PM   #1
Tech Initiate

Default Nitro vs. Electric

Yes, it's one of those topics. Which one is easier to maintain, handle, and drive hard with that will last long in the long run?
BAZINGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 09:00 PM   #2
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Dude, not to sound horribly rude but the search function is your best friend. I think a thread like this comes up twice or more a week. There is no "best" car out there. Each has its pros and its cons, its your decision as to which is more benefitial in your eyes. I like nitro. Why? Because i hate waiting on the batteries to charge, only to have them die again and wait another 4 hours so i dont over heat the batteries. Like i said, there are trade offs for each type, you have to decide what will work for you.
Old 03-12-2011, 09:06 PM   #3
Tech Prophet

its, up to you really i dont care for waiting for lipos to charge up inbetween rounds so i like nitro better better for that reason and other things

well, yes electric is easier to maintain but with less trill if you ask me .
but hey electric is good for beginners as long as it gets people in the hobby racing/bashing thats what matters.
tc5 man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 09:09 PM   #4
Tech Champion

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 195 (100%+)

EP WILL make you a better gas driver......practice with a 1/10 2wd buggy......
Trevor Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 09:20 PM   #5
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to Integra

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midwest_Mudder View Post
Dude, not to sound horribly rude but the search function is your best friend. I think a thread like this comes up twice or more a week. There is no "best" car out there. Each has its pros and its cons, its your decision as to which is more benefitial in your eyes. I like nitro. Why? Because i hate waiting on the batteries to charge, only to have them die again and wait another 4 hours so i dont over heat the batteries. Like i said, there are trade offs for each type, you have to decide what will work for you.
Really. Are you seriously trying to say you Cant Charge a pack back to back without fear of damage. You are sadly mistaken my friend.

IF your packs are getting Hot your Over geared, or are running an inadequate pack for the application.
TNS Driver - Radio Post - Blue Groove Apparel - Team Panther - Hitec - Losi - W.E.D. Paint - Clockwork Fuel - Competition Heat - SUMO Racing - Tekin - Team Terribles - M2C Racing - Matrix Concepts - Kal Gard - BuKu Power - DE Racing -
Integra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 09:21 PM   #6
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)

both
Mr.juarez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 09:25 PM   #7
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.juarez View Post
both
I 2nd that!
Eagletal88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 09:32 PM   #8
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor Williams View Post
EP WILL make you a better gas driver......practice with a 1/10 2wd buggy......
... with a modified motor! Driving stock buggy will forfit your driving skills.
Old 03-12-2011, 09:46 PM   #9
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAZINGA View Post
Yes, it's one of those topics. Which one is easier to maintain, handle, and drive hard with that will last long in the long run?
Electric is less maintenance, but depending on which chassis you are comparing Nitro is easier to maintain and clean. With longer mains a Nitro Buggy will have more track/race time. With powerband, clutch and in most cases less weight nitro IMO is a whole lot easier to drive and to drive fast. An electric will also be rougher on drive train parts because of the instant torque and direct drive.
Old 03-12-2011, 09:47 PM   #10
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Years ago I ran all electric.....I traded them all for nitro and it ruined the hobby for me..... just took the fun out of it. I spend more time workin' than racin'..... I just didnt have the patience for it (too young)......I left the hobby until a couple years ago.

Now I run both but if anyone says nitro is easier I think they are smokin crack.

I enjoy my 3 nitro vehicles but they are more work than my electric.

If you are gonna race see what they are racing at your local track...if its all nitro Then I guess your running nitro.....If its all electric then its electric.

If they run both I would probably start off with electric and then move into nitro if you like it.

If you just wanna bash around I would still start off electric....my 2 cents..good luck
Old 03-12-2011, 09:54 PM   #11
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

i dont really care, if i have a Tx in my hand and a car is running infront of me, them am happy
Thanks to all my sponsors: Modelix/Ultimate Racing, AKA Racing, AVID Racing, Stick-it1 Racing and HES
KWT-NITRO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 12:36 AM   #12
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Integra View Post
Really. Are you seriously trying to say you Cant Charge a pack back to back without fear of damage. You are sadly mistaken my friend.

IF your packs are getting Hot your Over geared, or are running an inadequate pack for the application.

i run a 3600 mah 6cell nimh in an older rc10t. i can run 4 packs through the truck back to back to back and the motor nor the esc gets hot. the battery doesnt get "HOT" from running, but fast charging the batteries puts them into the hot range. the truck has a 14t triple modified 550 sized motor with a traxxas xl-5 waterproof esc. its a basher for the most part. like i said, i prefer my nitros (even though i burn the hell outta my hands b/c i forget the little motors can build some heat). i like the fact that if it dies it takes my 40 seconds to have it ready to go for the same amount of time as what i just got done running it. i like the sound, the smell and the little blue trail that i can use to find the damn thing when i have a brain fart and forget im driving an rc car. i like my rc10t because its instant. i plug in the battery and it goes. simple as that. dont have to prime it, dont have to remember to grab the glow ignitor... like i said, there are pros and cons to each side, thats why both are still offered. if one was so much greater than the other im sure we would only see that one on the market. electrics are much simpler to maintain, there really isnt much you have to do post run. but with nitros you have to use after run oil, and make sure your air filter is oiled and... there is alot of maintenance involved with nitros. im not a fan of the arguement of "you have to tune them ALL THE TIME" we have this saying where im from, "if it aint broke, dont fix it". too many people have the idea of "fix it till its broke"...
Old 03-13-2011, 01:38 AM   #13
Tech Elite

Lipo's mate!
They are charged within 30min and don't overheat if used correctly.

Nitro is more maintenance and more expensive. But the car drivers more natural, it's a bit lighter, you have the awesome sound, smell and smoke. Longer mains, have fun with your pitbuddies, etc.

Electric is charge and go.Of course you need to maintain your cars too, but there's less work on it. And once you have your equipment, there are no additional costs to the hobby, unless you break something. And oh yea, you have to change you bearing of a brushless motor once in 2-6months, they are really cheap.

I run brushless to train and when racing with my brushless friends. When I go to races with my nitro friends, I race nitro of course. I'm a student so always racing nitro would be too expensive for me. My parents don't give me any money for the hobby. I get 100bucks a month but just enough to go to the bar once a week with my friends.
Old 03-13-2011, 03:41 AM   #14
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bboard View Post
Electric is less maintenance, but depending on which chassis you are comparing Nitro is easier to maintain and clean. With longer mains a Nitro Buggy will have more track/race time. With powerband, clutch and in most cases less weight nitro IMO is a whole lot easier to drive and to drive fast. An electric will also be rougher on drive train parts because of the instant torque and direct drive.
Wrong, I took two seconds of my laptimes by converting my 8ight to electric. It is much easier to drive an electric 1/8 buggy fast, even if it does weigh 400 grams more than my nitro did. I don't have enough time on mine to tell if drivetrain wear will be worse.

If the track you're at has a proper e-class, you will have more than plenty track time.
Old 03-13-2011, 04:35 AM   #15
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by morgoth View Post
Lipo's mate!
They are charged within 30min and don't overheat if used correctly.

Nitro is more maintenance and more expensive. But the car drivers more natural, it's a bit lighter, you have the awesome sound, smell and smoke. Longer mains, have fun with your pitbuddies, etc.

Electric is charge and go.Of course you need to maintain your cars too, but there's less work on it. And once you have your equipment, there are no additional costs to the hobby, unless you break something. And oh yea, you have to change you bearing of a brushless motor once in 2-6months, they are really cheap.

I run brushless to train and when racing with my brushless friends. When I go to races with my nitro friends, I race nitro of course. I'm a student so always racing nitro would be too expensive for me. My parents don't give me any money for the hobby. I get 100bucks a month but just enough to go to the bar once a week with my friends.

see, i got all my batteries and such before lipo became "safe". i use quotes because its still just as "dangerous" just there is more done to make it more idiot proof. its not that i wouldnt like to change over to lipos, i just dont have the extra cash to spend on a new charger and all the batteries! maybe after college is over in may i will, but currently i spend my money keeping the cars goin, paying for nitro, and of course those evil BILLS lol...