R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-13-2011, 05:09 AM   #16
Tech Elite
 
morgoth's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Belgium
Posts: 2,518
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midwest_Mudder View Post
see, i got all my batteries and such before lipo became "safe". i use quotes because its still just as "dangerous" just there is more done to make it more idiot proof. its not that i wouldnt like to change over to lipos, i just dont have the extra cash to spend on a new charger and all the batteries! maybe after college is over in may i will, but currently i spend my money keeping the cars goin, paying for nitro, and of course those evil BILLS lol...
I've never used Nimh, but they can explode too if used wrong. If you don't know what you're doing, you shouldn't use lipo's or other batteries.
A friend of mine had a nimh battery pack burning in his pocket while standing in the pits.
And yes a good charger and power supply is pretty expensive. I started racing with brushless cars after I got headaches of my RTR nitro car. But when I was at the track with my brushless car, I realized that you have almost no problems with a good nitro engine and you get a lot of help as a beginner at the track.
__________________
Serpent BeNeLux teamdriver // FX Engines // Nitrolux fuel
My blog: http://scrubbingspeed.wordpress.com
morgoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 08:21 AM   #17
Tech Master
 
ntrain42's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 1,980
Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAZINGA View Post
Yes, it's one of those topics. Which one is easier to maintain, handle, and drive hard with that will last long in the long run?
If your racing 1/8th scale you want to do nitro. There isn't much interest in 1/8th scale electric racing. 1/8th scale is dominated by nitro.
ntrain42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 08:49 AM   #18
Tech Regular
 
Lilja's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 402
Default

Personaly Ive never liked electric cars. Yea theyre easier to work with but to me they also feel more like toys.
Without the sound, the smell and the fiddling with engines etc theres not much of a hobby left for me.
__________________
Serpent S811 Novarossi Plus-4 BTT Futaba BLS451/452
Serpent S811T OS 25XZ Futaba BLS351/352
Serpent 966 Futaba 9451x2
TLR 22 Toro 9.0kv Futaba BLS451
Futaba 4PK
Lilja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 10:08 AM   #19
Tech Initiate
 
eurofocus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Hamilton Ontario Canada
Posts: 25
Default

I don't have the crew to pit for me, so last year consisted of me going to open practices with my nitro truggy just for fun... this year I built up an 8e 2.0 and plan on actually starting to race. I see many electric 8th scale buggies around here, and the truggies are coming into popularity as well.
__________________
E-LST2 / sway bar kit (light f/r) / Castle 2200kV / Mamba Monster ESC / 4s / RPM Arms
8e 2.0 / Tekin RX8 / 2050kV / 4s / Hitec 7945
Rally VXL
eurofocus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 10:33 AM   #20
Tech Prophet
 
tc5 man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: levittown pa
Posts: 16,872
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by morgoth View Post
Lipo's mate!
They are charged within 30min and don't overheat if used correctly.

Nitro is more maintenance and more expensive. But the car drivers more natural, it's a bit lighter, you have the awesome sound, smell and smoke. Longer mains, have fun with your pitbuddies, etc.

Electric is charge and go.Of course you need to maintain your cars too, but there's less work on it. And once you have your equipment, there are no additional costs to the hobby, unless you break something. And oh yea, you have to change you bearing of a brushless motor once in 2-6months, they are really cheap.

I run brushless to train and when racing with my brushless friends. When I go to races with my nitro friends, I race nitro of course. I'm a student so always racing nitro would be too expensive for me. My parents don't give me any money for the hobby. I get 100bucks a month but just enough to go to the bar once a week with my friends.











where you live in belgium i can see how nitro is more expensive espially the fuel but here in the states its not that bad

so i can understand you coverting to electric.

coverting to electric isnt that much cheaper than the nitros in the usa.
tc5 man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 10:35 AM   #21
Tech Prophet
 
tc5 man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: levittown pa
Posts: 16,872
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by eurofocus View Post
I don't have the crew to pit for me, so last year consisted of me going to open practices with my nitro truggy just for fun... this year I built up an 8e 2.0 and plan on actually starting to race. I see many electric 8th scale buggies around here, and the truggies are coming into popularity as well.



i just look for anybody to pit me even if i dont like them lol.

some tracks have more 1/8 e than 1/8 nitros i know my track is mostly nitro with a couple of 1/8 e not enough to have a class though.
tc5 man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 10:40 AM   #22
Tech Fanatic
 
mgtmadness2007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Bath, NY
Posts: 945
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default

I like running electric but not the charging time of lipo batteries. 2 5000Mah lipos was taking hours and hours and hours of charging at the max of 5 amps of the max Charge rate of the venom charger I used. Especially charging 2 of them at a time which seem to take alot longer.

Seems I would need a better charger($250 one hyperion) to charge at a higher amp to make them charge faster.

I may try elec buggy again if I can afford the initial cost of elec.
$250 charger
$300-320 speed controller and motor combo(lrp or tekin combo)
200-250 dollar pair(2 lipos) of name brand good lipos(no 10 dollar soft case cheap batteries)(reedy or orion hard case 5000mah+ batteries)
350-1000 dollar buggy.

I may stick with nitro as my initial investment would ONLY be
Buggy-$250-$1000
Servos-$150-200(could swipe from my other nitro though)??
Fuel-??(already have a couple gallons left)
Engine??( I ALREADY HAVE)
header and pipe??( already have)

Both elec. and nitro for me I would need another receiver, but cant find them as they arent made anymore for my M11 DSSS.

For what is best for me and my budget Nitro would be the better choice as my budget is between 7-11k a of year total income, actual budget for RC is considerably less though.

My elec. brushless lipo sc10 was pretty fun though and so was the e-buggy of my brothers. I liked the caster buggy of my brothers better than the losi 2.0 I test drove a few laps(nitro).
__________________
George White
Bath, NY
Team Terribles!
Race Vehicles-SC8 w/ GRP .28 Tuned,RC8T FT-Reedy VR 121 .21, 2035 pipe, RC8B-Reedy .21
http://www.jerrysrcraceway.com/
mgtmadness2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 10:49 AM   #23
Tech Elite
 
rider313's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: MN
Posts: 4,431
Trader Rating: 94 (100%+)
Default

It is all personal preference. If you like to drive rc but don't like the hassle of nitro you prolly run brushless but if your a motor guy like myself you love nitro motors. I don't care if brushless is faster I like to hear the motor screaming down the straight. I do have both but I like nitro alot more. It's all up to the driver.
__________________
Dan Williams
MNRC Chairman
---Xray, RC America, Pro-Line Racing, FX Royal, Hudy, KO Propo, 92zero Designs, Vision Racing Products, RW-Mods, Team Loosenuts, forddesigns.net--- Big Thanks to: Wheel Brokers Track and Shop, Pine City MN~ "Stompy"
rider313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 11:01 AM   #24
Tech Initiate
 
TRUH1N1420's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Hampton VA
Posts: 20
Send a message via Yahoo to TRUH1N1420
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midwest_Mudder View Post
Dude, not to sound horribly rude but the search function is your best friend. I think a thread like this comes up twice or more a week. There is no "best" car out there. Each has its pros and its cons, its your decision as to which is more benefitial in your eyes. I like nitro. Why? Because i hate waiting on the batteries to charge, only to have them die again and wait another 4 hours so i dont over heat the batteries. Like i said, there are trade offs for each type, you have to decide what will work for you.
+One

http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/posting
__________________
Savage Flux 6s T-Maxx .26 PE-Revo .26 E-Revo 6s 8IGHT 1.0 Brushless 5s 8IGHT 2.0 .30 8IGHT 2.0 .30 BaJa 5b ( Wanted )
TRUH1N1420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 11:43 AM   #25
Tech Elite
 
morgoth's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Belgium
Posts: 2,518
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tc5 man View Post
where you live in belgium i can see how nitro is more expensive espially the fuel but here in the states its not that bad

so i can understand you coverting to electric.

coverting to electric isnt that much cheaper than the nitros in the usa.
I live near Eeklo. 90min away from the closest 1/8 track

Fuel is about 45euros for 5liter 25% nitro.
1 lipo from Hobby King is 60euro and lasts at least a season

A brushless speedcontroller + motor is about 300-330euro and lasts 2 seasons, no maintenance. Just buy a couple of bearings and soldering Iron (which lasts at least 10 years if you're carefull with your stuff)

A Ninja is 350euro, OS speed 400euro without exhaust. I don't know if I could race and practice a season with 1 engine. It just bought my first racing nitro car.


Total sum:
Electric (lets says the stuff lasts 2 seasons):
Hyperion 0720i NET3 charger + PSU: 200euro
3x HK lipo's: 180euro
Tekin brushless combo: 300euro
---------------------------------------------------------------
Total: 680euro for 2 seasons (340euro/season)

Nitro:
Ninja with pipe: 430euro
25l nitro fuel 25%: 5x 45euro = 225euro
---------------------------------------------------------------
Total: 655euro for 1 season (this is even without startbox, ignitor, startbox battery, throttle servo, reciever battery)


It think it's easy to burn more then 2l of fuel on a raceweekend. Saterday practice, sunday racing. Which means an engine lasts only 10-12races. This is about the amount of races I do in a season without practice days.

I'm running mainly brushless 1/8th scale this season. I will race a few nitro races, but not as much as electric.

I might start racing mainly when I finnished college and have a job, but this season will be more electric, altough I like nitro more.


How much do you guys pay for nitro in the US?
__________________
Serpent BeNeLux teamdriver // FX Engines // Nitrolux fuel
My blog: http://scrubbingspeed.wordpress.com
morgoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 12:10 PM   #26
Tech Addict
 
fallguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 646
Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by morgoth View Post
Electric (lets says the stuff lasts 2 seasons):
Hyperion 0720i NET3 charger + PSU: 200euro
3x HK lipo's: 180euro
Tekin brushless combo: 300euro

i dont know...
a charger should last much longer than that. (nitro guys have charges as well)
im pissed if i only get two season out of my lipos.
the ESCs and motors have has issues, but even if they do fry. castle and i think Tekin have a replacement program where it cost much less to get a new one.
__________________
Hyper 9/MMM 2200KV/7955Tg
XR10/M2 DIG/7955Tg
MBX6T/Tekno V4/MMM 1800KV/7955Tg
Dnano
fallguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 12:15 PM   #27
Tech Elite
 
morgoth's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Belgium
Posts: 2,518
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by fallguy View Post
i dont know...
a charger should last much longer than that. (nitro guys have charges as well)
im pissed if i only get two season out of my lipos.
the ESCs and motors have has issues, but even if they do fry. castle and i think Tekin have a replacement program where it cost much less to get a new one.
Yea I know, but brushless drivers usually have a more expensive charger. A 50W charger is enough for a nitro driver to charge Nimh/life packs.
My Tekin RX8 fried last month and I got a new one for free. It was a 1 year old...
__________________
Serpent BeNeLux teamdriver // FX Engines // Nitrolux fuel
My blog: http://scrubbingspeed.wordpress.com
morgoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 12:56 PM   #28
Tech Prophet
 
tc5 man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: levittown pa
Posts: 16,872
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by morgoth View Post
I live near Eeklo. 90min away from the closest 1/8 track

Fuel is about 45euros for 5liter 25% nitro.
1 lipo from Hobby King is 60euro and lasts at least a season

A brushless speedcontroller + motor is about 300-330euro and lasts 2 seasons, no maintenance. Just buy a couple of bearings and soldering Iron (which lasts at least 10 years if you're carefull with your stuff)

A Ninja is 350euro, OS speed 400euro without exhaust. I don't know if I could race and practice a season with 1 engine. It just bought my first racing nitro car.


Total sum:
Electric (lets says the stuff lasts 2 seasons):
Hyperion 0720i NET3 charger + PSU: 200euro
3x HK lipo's: 180euro
Tekin brushless combo: 300euro
---------------------------------------------------------------
Total: 680euro for 2 seasons (340euro/season)

Nitro:
Ninja with pipe: 430euro
25l nitro fuel 25%: 5x 45euro = 225euro
---------------------------------------------------------------
Total: 655euro for 1 season (this is even without startbox, ignitor, startbox battery, throttle servo, reciever battery)


It think it's easy to burn more then 2l of fuel on a raceweekend. Saterday practice, sunday racing. Which means an engine lasts only 10-12races. This is about the amount of races I do in a season without practice days.

I'm running mainly brushless 1/8th scale this season. I will race a few nitro races, but not as much as electric.

I might start racing mainly when I finnished college and have a job, but this season will be more electric, altough I like nitro more.


How much do you guys pay for nitro in the US?









at my lhs its $28 a gallon for byrons 2000 25% fuel everywhere else its about $30 to $36 so its a pretty good price !
tc5 man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 01:01 PM   #29
Tech Elite
 
morgoth's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Belgium
Posts: 2,518
Default

I've just looked on the website of Amain and 4 gallons of Byron 25% is 87$
That's half the price of the fuel here
__________________
Serpent BeNeLux teamdriver // FX Engines // Nitrolux fuel
My blog: http://scrubbingspeed.wordpress.com
morgoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 01:02 PM   #30
Tech Prophet
 
tc5 man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: levittown pa
Posts: 16,872
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by morgoth View Post
I've just looked on the website of Amain and 4 gallons of Byron 25% is 87$
That's half the price of the fuel here



thats not including the hazmat charges though i believe .

why is fuel so expensive where you live at ?
tc5 man is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
1/8th Scale Nitro vs Electric Come and get some.. Dr. Evil Nitro Off-Road 115 12-21-2010 06:40 PM
Nitro vs Electric whiterice Nitro Off-Road 57 02-05-2010 09:55 PM
Nitro Vs Electric stoptherockets3 Electric Off-Road 38 01-29-2008 07:39 AM
Nitro Vs Electric stoptherockets3 Nitro On-Road 292 01-28-2008 08:31 AM
Nitro Vs. Electric DR1919 Electric Off-Road 157 05-08-2007 06:17 AM



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 03:03 AM.


Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net