R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-09-2011, 02:55 AM   #1
Tech Apprentice
 
RCCarsAsia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Singapore
Posts: 76
Send a message via Skype™ to RCCarsAsia
Unhappy Inferno DX Transmission Problem - No Power To Rear Wheels

I have a Kyosho Inferno DX. Put it away for 12 years but this year I got back into the hobby and fixed it up. I've run it on at least 20 occasions since. 45mins into my practice at a local track yesterday, I observed that it slowed down tremendously, and even on high-revving, I could only hear high-pitched noises. I thought I stripped my spur or clutch bell. However, both are in tact. With the engine on, the front wheels spun, but the rear was dead.

With the engine off, as I push the car forward, the rear drive shaft does not turn. Instead, it rattles in place. It also rattles in place when I manually try to turn both rear wheels forward.

Your help is much appreciated. If anyone's wondering why I'm still keeping this car and not upgrading, well, the short story is that I'm gearing up for a grudge match with the local Kyosho distributor's team and I'd be quite upset it this is irreparable.

Does anyone have any ideas if this is a transmission problem, and how I can troubleshoot this?
Attached Thumbnails
Inferno DX Transmission Problem - No Power To Rear Wheels-inferno_dx.jpg  
__________________
My Cars: Kyosho Inferno DX, Inferno MP9 TKI w/ Ninja JX21-B01, Inferno ST-RR with OS Ltd Ed. VZ-B, Ultima DB, HPI Savage X 4.6, BSD Racing "Land Ripper 2" BS809T EP.

Always glad to meet another RC Enthusiast. Do drop by my blog and leave me your comments: http://hpisavagex46.info
RCCarsAsia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 03:46 AM   #2
Tech Master
 
kaptain crash's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: York PA.
Posts: 1,211
Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to kaptain crash
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCCarsAsia View Post
I have a Kyosho Inferno DX. Put it away for 12 years but this year I got back into the hobby and fixed it up. I've run it on at least 20 occasions since. 45mins into my practice at a local track yesterday, I observed that it slowed down tremendously, and even on high-revving, I could only hear high-pitched noises. I thought I stripped my spur or clutch bell. However, both are in tact. With the engine on, the front wheels spun, but the rear was dead.

With the engine off, as I push the car forward, the rear drive shaft does not turn. Instead, it rattles in place. It also rattles in place when I manually try to turn both rear wheels forward.

Your help is much appreciated. If anyone's wondering why I'm still keeping this car and not upgrading, well, the short story is that I'm gearing up for a grudge match with the local Kyosho distributor's team and I'd be quite upset it this is irreparable.

Does anyone have any ideas if this is a transmission problem, and how I can troubleshoot this?
Try removing your center diff and filling it with oil..or greese...sounds dry. The little gears inside could be worn also, open it up to see if its dry first.
__________________
YEAH IM OLD...RUSTY AND SLOW,CRASH A LOT TOO. BUT WITH NITRO I HAVE A BLAST!
kaptain crash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 07:35 AM   #3
Tech Apprentice
 
RCCarsAsia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Singapore
Posts: 76
Send a message via Skype™ to RCCarsAsia
Default

Thanks for the tips. Will take apart the diff later today when I have the time. Btw, if it's a case of worn out gears, would you know of some compatible part replacements? as my buggy and spare parts is out of production.
__________________
My Cars: Kyosho Inferno DX, Inferno MP9 TKI w/ Ninja JX21-B01, Inferno ST-RR with OS Ltd Ed. VZ-B, Ultima DB, HPI Savage X 4.6, BSD Racing "Land Ripper 2" BS809T EP.

Always glad to meet another RC Enthusiast. Do drop by my blog and leave me your comments: http://hpisavagex46.info
RCCarsAsia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 09:44 AM   #4
Tech Regular
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 362
Default

I think you may have stripped your ring/gear, or the diffs inner gears, I dont remember which of them was fairly weak in the Kyoshos, a HD set was available at the time...

You may not have any problems getting those parts, many of the parts where compatible with all the newer mp series of Kyoshos. not mp9 though.

xe
__________________
If your friends don't listen, get new friends
Cheap and fast, not reliable - Cheap and reliable, not fast - Reliable and fast, not cheap
maxflo777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 02:18 PM   #5
Tech Master
 
captain america's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 1,252
Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Default

Honestly, a Burns (at least IMHO) should be a shelf queen; it's a 22-23 year-old car and parts are both scarce and pricy. You'd be better off beating the snot out of a second-hand MP777 or MP9.
captain america is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 09:11 AM   #6
Tech Apprentice
 
RCCarsAsia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Singapore
Posts: 76
Send a message via Skype™ to RCCarsAsia
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxflo777 View Post
I think you may have stripped your ring/gear, or the diffs inner gears, I dont remember which of them was fairly weak in the Kyoshos, a HD set was available at the time...

You may not have any problems getting those parts, many of the parts where compatible with all the newer mp series of Kyoshos. not mp9 though.

xe
That's re-assuring. Thanks for that. so all MPs before the mp9?
__________________
My Cars: Kyosho Inferno DX, Inferno MP9 TKI w/ Ninja JX21-B01, Inferno ST-RR with OS Ltd Ed. VZ-B, Ultima DB, HPI Savage X 4.6, BSD Racing "Land Ripper 2" BS809T EP.

Always glad to meet another RC Enthusiast. Do drop by my blog and leave me your comments: http://hpisavagex46.info
RCCarsAsia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 09:14 AM   #7
Tech Apprentice
 
RCCarsAsia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Singapore
Posts: 76
Send a message via Skype™ to RCCarsAsia
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by captain america View Post
Honestly, a Burns (at least IMHO) should be a shelf queen; it's a 22-23 year-old car and parts are both scarce and pricy. You'd be better off beating the snot out of a second-hand MP777 or MP9.
Hi! you might be thinking this is a Burns due to the knobby tires, but nah. it's an Inferno DX. get what you mean on the parts thing.. it's just this grudge match I wanna take up with the rogue Kyosho distributor in my country. They've been so rude and dishonest to me back then when I was starting out, and even before I got this one up and running again 3 months ago.
__________________
My Cars: Kyosho Inferno DX, Inferno MP9 TKI w/ Ninja JX21-B01, Inferno ST-RR with OS Ltd Ed. VZ-B, Ultima DB, HPI Savage X 4.6, BSD Racing "Land Ripper 2" BS809T EP.

Always glad to meet another RC Enthusiast. Do drop by my blog and leave me your comments: http://hpisavagex46.info
RCCarsAsia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 09:28 AM   #8
Tech Apprentice
 
RCCarsAsia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Singapore
Posts: 76
Send a message via Skype™ to RCCarsAsia
Default Updates to problem

Hi all, Iíve identified the problem that has stalled my Inferno DX. Previously, I was under the impression that the centre diff was at fault for not sending power to rear wheels. Then, after doing more checks on how the rear drive shaft moved depending on how I spun the rear wheels, comparing to the front, I realized that it could be a buggy rear differential issue.

After I took out the rear block... indeed... both spur and pinion were stripped.

Can someone suggest compatible parts for this repair? Would any of the other brands fit?

Are the pre-MP9 inferno parts indeed backward compatible?
Attached Thumbnails
Inferno DX Transmission Problem - No Power To Rear Wheels-reardiff.jpg   Inferno DX Transmission Problem - No Power To Rear Wheels-rearblock.jpg  
__________________
My Cars: Kyosho Inferno DX, Inferno MP9 TKI w/ Ninja JX21-B01, Inferno ST-RR with OS Ltd Ed. VZ-B, Ultima DB, HPI Savage X 4.6, BSD Racing "Land Ripper 2" BS809T EP.

Always glad to meet another RC Enthusiast. Do drop by my blog and leave me your comments: http://hpisavagex46.info
RCCarsAsia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 10:00 AM   #9
Tech Regular
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 362
Default

nope, not mp9, try the 5, 6 or 7 (7's ring has a little smaller diameter but I think it still fits) if i remember correctly those are all interchangeable.

there was a hardened set for those also, make sure you get those

xe
__________________
If your friends don't listen, get new friends
Cheap and fast, not reliable - Cheap and reliable, not fast - Reliable and fast, not cheap
maxflo777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 07:52 PM   #10
Tech Apprentice
 
RCCarsAsia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Singapore
Posts: 76
Send a message via Skype™ to RCCarsAsia
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxflo777 View Post
nope, not mp9, try the 5, 6 or 7 (7's ring has a little smaller diameter but I think it still fits) if i remember correctly those are all interchangeable.

there was a hardened set for those also, make sure you get those

xe
Hey do you mean the Inferno 777? I might have some luck finding those as it's the most recent of the lot.

Also, a friend told me something about HSP Bazookas being copies of the Inferno, and that the gearing is similar. Can anyone confirm on this?
__________________
My Cars: Kyosho Inferno DX, Inferno MP9 TKI w/ Ninja JX21-B01, Inferno ST-RR with OS Ltd Ed. VZ-B, Ultima DB, HPI Savage X 4.6, BSD Racing "Land Ripper 2" BS809T EP.

Always glad to meet another RC Enthusiast. Do drop by my blog and leave me your comments: http://hpisavagex46.info
RCCarsAsia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 01:14 PM   #11
Tech Master
 
kaptain crash's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: York PA.
Posts: 1,211
Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to kaptain crash
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCCarsAsia View Post
Hey do you mean the Inferno 777? I might have some luck finding those as it's the most recent of the lot.

Also, a friend told me something about HSP Bazookas being copies of the Inferno, and that the gearing is similar. Can anyone confirm on this?
take some pictures of the gears after you have them out...some measurments would help also.
__________________
YEAH IM OLD...RUSTY AND SLOW,CRASH A LOT TOO. BUT WITH NITRO I HAVE A BLAST!
kaptain crash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 02:16 PM   #12
Tech Adept
 
Huleboer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Aarhus, Denmark
Posts: 171
Default

You would prolly have better luck with Inferno 7.5 parts than the 777.
Afaik the 777 does not share that many parts and is more alike Hong Nor X1-CR than the older kyoshos
__________________
Team Durango DNX408 w/ Alpha S852 / Novarossi Plus4
Team Durango DEX210 w/ LRP SSX and X12 13.5t
Huleboer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 03:38 PM   #13
Tech Master
 
Mikey-B's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 1,067
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huleboer View Post
You would prolly have better luck with Inferno 7.5 parts than the 777.
Afaik the 777 does not share that many parts and is more alike Hong Nor X1-CR than the older kyoshos
+1.....they just RE-introduced the 7.5 so u should have no problem at all finding those parts
__________________
Barnstormers racing-DirtCheaprc-Alava Graphics
CarTune Network
Mikey-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


All times are GMT -8. It is currently 01:22 PM.



SEO by vBSEO 3.5.0