R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Nitro Off-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-off-road-130/)
-   -   Nitro 1/8 Buggy Choices (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-off-road/490243-nitro-1-8-buggy-choices.html)

BAZINGA 03-08-2011 06:12 PM

Nitro 1/8 Buggy Choices

Hey guys! I'm just getting started in 1/8 racing and I have a few choices as to what buggy I should get. I'm looking at three buggies; Team Durango DNX408, JQ Products THE Car, and Team Losi 8ight 2.0 (Kit version released in March 18ish). If you could please give me feedback, I would greatly appreciate it!:nod: Thank You!

spedtke 03-08-2011 06:30 PM

Out of the 3 cars listed, I would go with the Losi as your first. There is no real need to drop the $$$$ on a Durango when you're just learning 1/8. Also consider a D8. Very good buggy for the money.

jmaxey51 03-08-2011 07:07 PM

Originally Posted by spedtke (Post 8770173)
Out of the 3 cars listed, I would go with the Losi as your first. There is no real need to drop the $$$$ on a Durango when you're just learning 1/8. Also consider a D8. Very good buggy for the money.

+1 and the durango and JQ will be far more complicated to build and setup.

jewn_beef 03-08-2011 07:11 PM

d8 is good choice very good buggy
or kyosho mp9 se same price as the losi and other cars and it is easy to drive and setup

ntrain42 03-08-2011 07:23 PM

I don't know much about the Durango products, but the design of their products is first rate and well thought out. Are Durango parts easy to get? Or are optional and replacement parts a PIA to get like all the other smaller companies. One thing with companies like Losi and AE is that kits and parts are easy to get and available everywhere. That in itself makes em more worthwhile to run.

BAZINGA 03-08-2011 07:38 PM

After reading the posts, it seems that the D8 and 8ight 2.0 are the ones to choose and possibly the mp9 se and rc8b. Out of these, which one has good handling, can be driven hard, excellent parts support, and a reasonable price tag? Thank you for the feedback!

Schmitty 03-08-2011 07:43 PM

AE RC8B.
parts are abundant
handles very well

1sickGT 03-08-2011 07:45 PM

Originally Posted by Schmitty (Post 8770736)
AE RC8B.
parts are abundant
handles very well

Ill second this!

spedtke 03-08-2011 08:00 PM

Driven the D8 and it was a great buggy. Buddy has RC8b and claims it's a bit tougher to figure out than his D8. Either buggy is a good choice. Never had a problem with either.

jzemaxx 03-08-2011 08:55 PM

Out of your choices, the losi or the durango for sure. Durango is more stable then the losi though.

fallguy 03-08-2011 09:02 PM

not to toss another brand in here but the mbx6 is a nice unit as well

you can see here that losi and mugen are the most loved

http://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-of...xray80809.html

ntrain42 03-08-2011 09:13 PM

Truth of he matter is that ALL of these vehicles are so well designed and so even in terms of performance that in reality it all comes down to driver and setup skill.

I myself went with the RC8 FT kit due to insanely low cost, ease of setup, tons in inexpensive replacement and upgrade parts which are available everywhere, and the fact that I have 2 other vehicles that have parts interchangeability with the RC8. Best bang for the buck IMO is the RC8 FT kit. I got mine for $400(It was on sale at Tower for $450, plus I had a $50 super saver club coupon)shipped. The money you save by buying this kit gives you alot of extra money for upgrade parts and accessories. IMO part of your decision should be based on your budget if that is itself a concern.

Eitherway, don't worry about "performance" with any of these kits, get the rig that makes the most sense for YOUR NEEDS. :nod:

AZRC4Me 03-08-2011 09:16 PM

Not to start probably the most heated debate of the century since the AE/Losi wars of the 90s, but I would personally give Durango and THE Car some time to develop. The Big 5 brands - Losi, AE, Mugen, Kyosho, Hot Bodies have been in the game for a long time and have earned their place. Not saying the Durango or THE Car are bad in any way, but the other brands have had some serious development time. Every car/brand has their strengths and weaknesses, you really can't go wrong with any of the big 5 for an entry into 1/8 nitro.

It then becomes a question of budget, local support at the track, and personal preference.

dashstryk3 03-09-2011 12:11 AM

Originally Posted by fallguy (Post 8771178)
not to toss another brand in here but the mbx6 is a nice unit as well

you can see here that losi and mugen are the most loved

http://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-of...xray80809.html

+1 on that :D best one i've driven so far. Fairly easy to drive hard.

Herrsavage 03-09-2011 12:29 AM

If I were getting a new buggy(and I'm thinking about it..), I'd lean heavily toward the Agama A8 Evo. Lots of really good feedback out there. Seems pretty mixed for the Durango and JQ. I agree - those two need some time yet to sort out the bugs...

As it is, if I do get a buggy, it'll probably be an RC8B though. I have Asso parts already from my RC8T(sold) and SC8, and parts are dead easy to find.. For something totally new though, again, the Agama is awfully attractive...