R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 03-10-2011, 02:00 PM   #46
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tc5 man View Post
hum did pro drivers say that or did club racers say that ?
Hard to set up? Quite the opposite. Very easy car to set up and get dialed, recommended starting factory settings don't need to be deviated from much. The only major changes I made was going up 20 wt in the front shocks and kicking in the rear camber by 2 degrees(4 degrees total)and the RC8B is very planted.
ntrain42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 02:00 PM   #47
Tech Prophet

Quote:
Originally Posted by ntrain42 View Post
Whether its the RC8B, RC8T or SC8(I own them all), they are very neutral feeling vehicles and are a snap to setup. One thing I find with the AE products is the durability is a tad better than some of the other competing brands and the replacement parts are the cheapest of em all. And you can get into the FT RC8B for around $425-450 currently, your not going to find a better comp racer for the money spent. I own quite a few Losi vehicles as well(2 LST XXL's)and love em, but the stock plastics aren't quite as good vs. the AE products. Regardless Losi makes the best designed MT bar none, and the aftermarket support is excellent for it as well.

im waiting for my rc8t ce to come in the mail

and, yes you are right from running a 1.0 b and a 1.0 t the "rc8/rc8t" are cheaper in the long run and all together the thing i like is it comes with all the tuning upgrades for a good price !

i have reasons why i dint get the 2.0 t.

ntrain: i never had the rc8b i was just wondering sounds easy though.
tc5 man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 02:06 PM   #48
Tech Master

Quote:

and yes you are right from running a 1.0 b and a 1.0 t the rc8/rc8t are cheaper in the long run and all together the thing i like is it comes with all the tuning upgrades for a good price !
Yeah, I picked up the RC8B FT from tower for $400 shipped. All I upgraded were the chassis braces(FT blue anodized ones) and the rear carrier hub/steering knuckles(FT as well). Total cost was just over $500. The car has been 100% bullitproof and handling has been a dream, especially off huge tabletops and triplebacks. If you like big air, the RC8 is the way to go. Their big bore shocks are second to none. I upgraded my SC8's to the Big bore shocks just recently, made a huge difference in its jumping abilities. The RC8B couple with a Werks B6 ='s WIN. Locally here I gather I have spent about half the price total in racing costs and upgrades vs. the folks running Mugen's and Losi's(Which are the other predominant platforms used here in my area.).
Old 03-10-2011, 02:26 PM   #49
Tech Prophet

Quote:
Originally Posted by ntrain42 View Post
Yeah, I picked up the RC8B FT from tower for $400 shipped. All I upgraded were the chassis braces(FT blue anodized ones) and the rear carrier hub/steering knuckles(FT as well). Total cost was just over $500. The car has been 100% bullitproof and handling has been a dream, especially off huge tabletops and triplebacks. If you like big air, the RC8 is the way to go. Their big bore shocks are second to none. I upgraded my SC8's to the Big bore shocks just recently, made a huge difference in its jumping abilities. The RC8B couple with a Werks B6 ='s WIN. Locally here I gather I have spent about half the price total in racing costs and upgrades vs. the folks running Mugen's and Losi's(Which are the other predominant platforms used here in my area.).

yup, thats what runs at my track losi/associated and one mugen 6t/6b.
thats, one of the reasons why i dint get the "2.0 t" was because of the upgrades it needs even though others say it doesnt i always see people upgradeing them and the diff shimming that also.

and ive own associated 1/10 gas and losi and i liked the part quality better than losi.

Last edited by tc5 man; 03-10-2011 at 02:54 PM.
tc5 man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 02:37 PM   #50
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAZINGA View Post
Okay, so far, everyone is suggesting the MBX-6 and D8 Hara.
i know i own a mugen so you might think im a "fanboy" but i looked for a long time before i picked one up..

The fit and finish of the mugen is better then hotbodies, the hotbodies is less $$ but you can tell it takes less $$ to manufacture. I have seen most of the brands up close and have owned a few as well.

Its like the Durango... it looks like it costs more than a mugen to manufacture.. and i think the higher price is justified. but i would not pick one up until they have some time under their belt.

The hotbodies looks and feels like my Hyper9e.... still nice but not as nice as the mugen.

As far as this one turns better, this one jumps better, this one is better on a rough track... id say they all work well if you take the time to set them up and learn what changes do what... the Hudy setup book will teach you alot on what to change.
Dnano
fallguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 03:17 PM   #51
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 68 (100%+)

Quote:
hum did pro drivers say that or did club racers say that ?
Never heard pro-racers say anything against what they are driving. Both Ryan's make the car look awesome.
I do know of some club racers that are very fast that shared a few comments on the Associated products.
As for myself, I wouldn't have an issue one about trying out there current products. It's pretty much all about setup to get them the way you want.

All I know is I struggled with the D8 for a couple of years. Just when I thought I got it right, she kicked again.
I decided to give something else a try and was able to get the Losi back when Horizon was pushing some good deals.
For myself, I think the Losi and the Mugen are very easy to grab out of the box and do pretty well with them. You make a setup change on either car and you will know it on the track. I never got that from my D8.
Greg B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 03:24 PM   #52
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 68 (100%+)

Quote:

and, yes you are right from running a 1.0 b and a 1.0 t the "rc8/rc8t" are cheaper in the long run and all together the thing i like is it comes with all the tuning upgrades for a good price !

i have reasons why i dint get the 2.0 t.

ntrain: i never had the rc8b i was just wondering sounds easy though.
Congrats on your purchase. I think you made a wise choice. I been watching the RC8T at The Factory in Ohio and those trucks are dialed. Tons of steering and the rear is planted. A good friend parked his HB D8T and purchased the Associated. No joke that this guy is a contender now. Never seen him this fast or consistant. He just can't believe the amount of steering but yet all the rear traction you could ask for.
If my Losi farts, Associated is more than likely my backup plan.
Greg B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 03:30 PM   #53
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg B View Post
Congrats on your purchase. I think you made a wise choice. I been watching the RC8T at The Factory in Ohio and those trucks are dialed. Tons of steering and the rear is planted. A good friend parked his HB D8T and purchased the Associated. No joke that this guy is a contender now. Never seen him this fast or consistant. He just can't believe the amount of steering but yet all the rear traction you could ask for.
If my Losi farts, Associated is more than likely my backup plan.
The RC8T's are predominant here, even over the Losi products. Everybody here loves that truck. I have yet to race mine(Just finished building it), but considering how happy I've been with my 8B and SC8(which itself is basically a cross between an RC8 and RC8T, LOL) Im sure my opinion will be the same.
Old 03-10-2011, 04:01 PM   #54
Tech Initiate

I was reading Hitorque's R/C Car magazine and came across the Werks Pro-Clutch system. What does it do and would it be a good upgrade on my future buggy?
BAZINGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 04:20 PM   #55
Tech Master

Quote:
I was reading Hitorque's R/C Car magazine and came across the Werks Pro-Clutch system. What does it do and would it be a good upgrade on my future buggy?
I would focus on picking out your car, building it and getting a feel for it through practice before worrying about "upgraded" clutches or anything else for that matter etc.
Old 03-10-2011, 04:55 PM   #56
Tech Addict

I have these following buggies 2- xray 808 2009 , 1 D8 , 1 MBX 6 M-SPEC and 1 serpent 811......just bought another serpent 811 last week.......why buy another serpent? ans- i am much more happy with it. that's just my opinion.
doc888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 06:09 PM   #57
Tech Initiate

Okay, thanks to all of you, I have now made my decision on what buggy to choose! After reading reviews, watching videos on Youtube , and tons of researching, I finally made my decision and I'm sticking to it. I won't tell you guys because I don't want to disappoint anyone and I don't want people to say I told you so to me. Now my next question is, and I guess it's sort of personal preference, but Proline or JConcepts? Thank you to all for the feedback!
BAZINGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 09:43 PM   #58
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default So many good tires

Get a few of each brand....Don't run just one brand....Losi, Pro Line, JC, AKA they are all great, it depends on the track and each tread has it's uses....
Old 03-10-2011, 10:12 PM   #59
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Quote:
Okay, thanks to all of you, I have now made my decision on what buggy to choose! After reading reviews, watching videos on Youtube , and tons of researching, I finally made my decision and I'm sticking to it. I won't tell you guys because I don't want to disappoint anyone and I don't want people to say I told you so to me. Now my next question is, and I guess it's sort of personal preference, but Proline or JConcepts? Thank you to all for the feedback!
I bet you got a Mugen - the Mspec. Whatever you got, it's going to be sweet, don't ever think about what could have been. Focus on making what you got the best it can be, and I don't mean by upgrading the crap out of it with aftermarket stuff. This sport isn't like 1:1 cars, you don't need hopups to be fast. Buggys are very very capable right out of the box if built properly. Spend your money on tires, fuel, and practice time at your track. Work on understanding setup details, and what each change will do.

I actually feel the exact opposite as the previous post on tire selection. Like your buggy, pick a brand and stick to it. No mere mortal (club racer) can tell a real difference between a Caliber (proline tire) and a Cityblock (AKA tire, similar pattern to Caliber) of the same compound; or better yet a Sniper (proline) and a Gridiron (AKA). Having different brands with similar compounds/patterns will only make tire choice that much more difficult. Others may agree to disagree, but imo AKA has the most advanced tire/wheel/foam package out on the market. Their tires wear better than any other I have tested, and their new red foams are super dialed. I started out with a bunch of different brands, and it wasn't until I focused on one brand that I began to understand compounds and tread patterns and how they relate to the ever-changing track surface.

Oh, and don't be a hermit in the pits, talk to guys, listen to what they have to say, take everything you hear with a grain of salt and decide what's best for you. You'll be able to tell who the good guys are and who just likes to hear the sound of their own voice.

Ok /lecture lol! Best of luck bro.
Old 03-10-2011, 11:08 PM   #60
am
Tech Master

The above post is the moast reasnoble post i have read on rctech for a LONG while. LOL!

About tire choice, pick one brand and stick to it as AZRC says. some very seldom times you will find that your brand of tires might not be 100% at the track you are going to race on, but it is not happening often.

Remeber this: Tirers are the moast important thing you change, to get the car work to your likings! If you have the right tire/compound then make the car work is alot easyer. And when you stick to one brand, you will not use all your practice time when racing at a new track to test a million tires. Also, try to find out who the local fast guys is and see what tires they are using.

I am a Proline fan myself, just because i do not think AKA works good on the Losi cars. When high grip, the car gets difficult to drive and it is on its head a lot. Reasson is their very hard inserts. Since last year they have got the red foam out witch i have not tested. I feel tht AKA have the fastest tirers out there but their foam is not. It is very fast over a few laps, but during a main with my Losi, i make to many mistakes with AKA tires.

This year i will switch cars, and again i probebly will run AKA to test. If i still have the same problems with the new AKA wheels, well then, Proline here i come :-)
am is offline   Reply With Quote