Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by fallguy
not to toss another brand in here but the mbx6 is a nice unit as well

you can see here that losi and mugen are the most loved

http://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-of...xray80809.html

And is a dam good buy now!

http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...ires-Body-Wrap

Honestly considering the durability and quality i would find it hard to buy anything else

Dave
Old 03-10-2011, 07:35 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

Originally Posted by BAZINGA
Is parts support/availability great on the Serpent?
Its not that great, only a few places carry parts.

Honestly, Id be looking back at the Losi,RC8B, even the Mugen, the smaller companies have nothing over the big boys, other than a more expensive price tag(due in part to smaller production runs which equates to higher mfg. cost). If you saw and nitpicked an 8ight 2.0, RC8B, Mugen, or any other competition buggy up close and inspected them you would see that they ALL have the same basic kit quality, adjustments, design etc.........these vehicles have become so refined over the years that there honestly isn't anything really significant that sets them apart in terms of handling and performance,durability and quality. Your going to get alot of "fanboy" reply/recommendations from people who own "X" product. I would look for what gives you the best bang for the buck initially and down the road. Here at our track(RC Excitement)which is one of the most popular ones in the Northeast, the buggies that DOMINATE the standings are the 8ight's and the RC8B's(And the shops around here carry HUGE QUANTITIES of Losi and AE parts). There are a few scattering people who run Mugen,OFNA, and Ive seen a couple of Xray and O'Donnell's rides as well, but you never see any of them in the top of the standings, nor do you see local places stockpiling their parts, which sucks if you ever go down in a race and dont have a spare part needed on hand. Does that make em any worse of a vehicle? No, but it goes to show that there is no magic car that will give you an advantage in racing, today's rc racing is all about driver skill and vehicle setup ability. So whatever your leaning towards, look around locally and online, see how good the availability is, the average cost of parts etc. I can garentee you will find that long term cost and parts availability is going to be BEST with Losi,AE as the top 2, Mugen 3rd, then everything else a distant 4th to whatever. But again, thats why you want to make some calls locally, see whats supported well in your area, unless you plan on doing all your shopping for parts online.
Old 03-10-2011, 07:55 AM
D8
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

i like the mugen.. it is a great buggy that handles very awesome., i have several good friends running them with the RaceMugen.com Team and i always wanted to have one but, i just don't like having to worry about the front susp arms.
Old 03-10-2011, 07:59 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 8 (90%+)

I guess were lucky with gulf coast raceway carrying parts for the serpents.. If not mistaking I thought you lived in Texas.. I'm sure they could ship the parts to you also.. We have about 8 or so that run at mikes along with the mugen d8 and losi.
Old 03-10-2011, 08:18 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 56 (100%+)

Originally Posted by D8
i like the mugen.. it is a great buggy that handles very awesome., i have several good friends running them with the RaceMugen.com Team and i always wanted to have one but, i just don't like having to worry about the front susp arms.
No worries.... Mugen is tough and wears GREAT!
Old 03-10-2011, 08:38 AM
D8
Tech Master

Originally Posted by underway
No worries.... Mugen is tough and wears GREAT!
I have witness too many broken front lower susp arms.. hell, some of my friends from "team racemugen.com" will tell me that they do worry about the front lower arms.. other than that, i think that the mugen top of the line.
Old 03-10-2011, 09:23 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Originally Posted by D8
I have witness too many broken front lower susp arms.. hell, some of my friends from "team racemugen.com" will tell me that they do worry about the front lower arms.. other than that, i think that the mugen top of the line.
the ticket is to boil the front arms for 15-20 min and now more worrying ... or so ive heard from the team drivers, thats why that team isnt breaking them anymore.
Old 03-10-2011, 09:36 AM
Tech Master

All plastic parts from ANY kit should be boiled. Its an age old free hop up for durability. Boiling plastic/nylon parts allows parts to bend and flex instead of just snapping. Every one of my kits(I dissasemble RTR kits and then boil all the parts) goes through the boiling process before I put em together or run em. This is nothing new.

When you do boil em, do it for about an hour. Some people say only a few minutes are needed, but some plastics and nylons need more time than others to get the benefits from boiling due to material and density.
Old 03-10-2011, 01:08 PM
D8
Tech Master

O'Donnell uses great plastic material,GS Racing has always been known for durability as well., in general a lot of companies use excellent quality materials and there are some that would exceed in quality but, soon or later parts will fail regardless if it's a Kyosho,GS or whatever..
Old 03-10-2011, 01:27 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default A Arms

Originally Posted by D8
I've had an M spec for about 6 months and it has the same parts on it that came in the box. Even the front A Arms...I replaced the shock cap bushings once, and bent one front axle slightly. Changed bearings once....and the rear outer hinge pins bend easily...That's it I think....I do see the truggys break the a arms sometimes though...We have a jump on the locl track that gets serious air time. I would say 9 feet in the air mid jump is how high he buggy goes, and about 20 feet across from takeoff to landing.....No broken a arms...It's better than getting saggy front a arms like some of the other cars. Try adjusting droop with bent a arms......
Old 03-10-2011, 01:37 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 68 (100%+)

Originally Posted by dragracechief
I dont run HB but have to agree, its the best bargain out right now. And have to agree, any of the current top buggies are capable of winning.
While I agree, the D8 is the best bargin, all these cars drive different. The Losi is simple. Drive it easy and be fast. Mugen, drive the wheels off it. The harder the better. D8, drive it easy, can be very tail happy.

The Losi for the most part uses the same setup regardless where you run. Change tires and go.

I don't own a Mugen but really sounds that this is one brand that may fit you well.

The most important detail that no one failed to mention was the simple fact that once you make your decision, stick with it. Jumping around from brand to brand will get you no where.
Old 03-10-2011, 01:43 PM
Tech Prophet

Originally Posted by Greg B
While I agree, the D8 is the best bargin, all these cars drive different. The Losi is simple. Drive it easy and be fast. Mugen, drive the wheels off it. The harder the better. D8, drive it easy, can be very tail happy.

The Losi for the most part uses the same setup regardless where you run. Change tires and go.

I don't own a Mugen but really sounds that this is one brand that may fit you well.

The most important detail that no one failed to mention was the simple fact that once you make your decision, stick with it. Jumping around from brand to brand will get you no where.

what about the rc8b to be fast with it do you need to be smooth or can you drive it hard ?
Old 03-10-2011, 01:48 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 68 (100%+)

Originally Posted by tc5 man
what about the rc8b to be fast with it do you need to be smooth or can you drive it hard ?
Dunno, never messed with one. I have heard it takes time to get it setup to your liking but that was hear say.
Old 03-10-2011, 01:53 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by tc5 man
Whether its the RC8B, RC8T or SC8(I own them all), they are very neutral feeling vehicles and are a snap to setup. One thing I find with the AE products is the durability is a tad better than some of the other competing brands and the replacement parts are the cheapest of em all. And you can get into the FT RC8B for around $425-450 currently, your not going to find a better comp racer for the money spent. I own quite a few Losi vehicles as well(2 LST XXL's)and love em, but the stock plastics aren't quite as good vs. the AE products. Regardless Losi makes the best designed MT bar none, and the aftermarket support is excellent for it as well.
Old 03-10-2011, 01:54 PM
Tech Prophet

Originally Posted by Greg B
Dunno, never messed with one. I have heard it takes time to get it setup to your liking but that was hear say.

hum did pro drivers say that or did club racers say that ?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.