R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 03-08-2011, 12:15 PM   #1
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default Significant design improvements: What are your favorites?

I've been looking at the evolution of 1/8 scale buggies lately and was somewhat taken aback by exactly what things have remained constant, and what little things were huge design improvements.

For example, most of the modern car platforms look pretty darn similar across the last 10 years -- just take a look at the inferno 7.5. Most of what has changed has been relatively minor, but some of those minor changes were pretty good design changes, while others were arguably less critical.

For me, since I took a 12 year break from nitro, I really wasn't around to watch the development of 1/8 scale, but since back into nitro, a few things have really stood out:
  • CV rebuilds
  • Flipped ring gear (I saw it first on the 8ight 2.0) to move drive shaft over
  • Clunk type fuel pickup
  • Durango's BIG front caster block that allows a booty to fit easily over the drive shaft joint
  • Durango's easy diff access
  • Multiple pin holes on CV outer so you can simply move over a hole when one wears out when replacing CV rebuild kits. (current gen d8 has 2 potential positions, next gen cr8 pics show rear drive shaft has 4 possible pin positions).
  • Single piece radio try (many have this, it is boss).

What design improvements on recent, or even not recent, platforms struck you as really good designs / changes?
Old 03-08-2011, 12:27 PM   #2
Tech Elite

Send a message via AIM to porkchop Send a message via Yahoo to porkchop

serpent s811
shock in front of the rear tower so people cant bust them any more

there 1 2 3 number akerman rack system no more changing my toe i just change the plates.

also the plate the steering sits on so you dont have to strip steering post out to get the front clip off.
Old 03-08-2011, 12:33 PM   #3
SEF
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 39 (100%+)

Big bore metal shocks. Bodies with cab forward designs. Universal wheels (17 mm hex with no offset). AKA foams. New tire compounds and designs. Just to name a few.
SEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 12:44 PM   #4
Tech Regular

I would prob say the new piston brakesystem featured in the S811, durango and JQ THE car.

Other than that I do have to say the biggest improvent over the last 10 years has been that cars nowadays are cheaper and pretty much ready to race out of the box. In the old days you had to spend just as much as you spent on the car only in optionparts for the car to be raceable (Kyosho ).
TLR 22 Toro 9.0kv Futaba BLS451
Futaba 4PK
Lilja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 01:10 PM   #5
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

The Losi style ackerman is great. You don't have to reset toe if you change ackerman angle. Also throw stay linear, on the traditional design the trow rate is somewhat affected by what Ackerman hole you use.
Old 03-08-2011, 02:07 PM   #6
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by porkchop View Post
serpent s811
shock in front of the rear tower so people cant bust them any more

there 1 2 3 number akerman rack system no more changing my toe i just change the plates.

also the plate the steering sits on so you dont have to strip steering post out to get the front clip off.

Agreed...also the S811's angled steering system matching the chassis kickup, ball bearing captured swaybar, so no side to side or up and down slop on the case.
Old 03-08-2011, 02:11 PM   #7
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilja View Post
I would prob say the new piston brakesystem featured in the S811, durango and JQ THE car.

Other than that I do have to say the biggest improvent over the last 10 years has been that cars nowadays are cheaper and pretty much ready to race out of the box. In the old days you had to spend just as much as you spent on the car only in optionparts for the car to be raceable (Kyosho ).
Can you expand on the piston brake?
Old 03-08-2011, 02:18 PM   #8
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 56 (100%+)

Clunk tanks, big bore shocks, tire foams, decreased vehicle weight, new gear ratios.
Old 03-08-2011, 02:18 PM   #9
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razathorn View Post
Can you expand on the piston brake?
A lever that pushes a piston that then pushes the caliper. The two arms that turns the lever are connected together and then the servo activates both of them at the same time by moving only one arm.
Its kinda hard to explain in words, easier to see it in action.
Either way it makes it much easier to adjust brake bias, and you can finetune it much easier than before.
TLR 22 Toro 9.0kv Futaba BLS451
Futaba 4PK
Lilja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 02:36 PM   #10
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to Integra

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razathorn View Post
I've been looking at the evolution of 1/8 scale buggies lately and was somewhat taken aback by exactly what things have remained constant, and what little things were huge design improvements.

For example, most of the modern car platforms look pretty darn similar across the last 10 years -- just take a look at the inferno 7.5. Most of what has changed has been relatively minor, but some of those minor changes were pretty good design changes, while others were arguably less critical.

For me, since I took a 12 year break from nitro, I really wasn't around to watch the development of 1/8 scale, but since back into nitro, a few things have really stood out:
  • CV rebuilds
  • Flipped ring gear (I saw it first on the 8ight 2.0) to move drive shaft over
  • Clunk type fuel pickup
  • Durango's BIG front caster block that allows a booty to fit easily over the drive shaft joint
  • Durango's easy diff access
  • Multiple pin holes on CV outer so you can simply move over a hole when one wears out when replacing CV rebuild kits. (current gen d8 has 2 potential positions, next gen cr8 pics show rear drive shaft has 4 possible pin positions).
  • Single piece radio try (many have this, it is boss).

What design improvements on recent, or even not recent, platforms struck you as really good designs / changes?

This has been done Long before TD was around.
TNS Driver - Radio Post - Blue Groove Apparel - Team Panther - Hitec - Losi - W.E.D. Paint - Clockwork Fuel - Competition Heat - SUMO Racing - Tekin - Team Terribles - M2C Racing - Matrix Concepts - Kal Gard - BuKu Power - DE Racing -
Integra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 02:56 PM   #11
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilja View Post
A lever that pushes a piston that then pushes the caliper. The two arms that turns the lever are connected together and then the servo activates both of them at the same time by moving only one arm.
Its kinda hard to explain in words, easier to see it in action.
Either way it makes it much easier to adjust brake bias, and you can finetune it much easier than before.
Easier to show... . This was with the old V1 tray but the V2 tray improved it even more, concept is still the same though.

Old 03-08-2011, 03:30 PM   #12
Tech Master

I could be wrong, but I believe LRP was the first with a piston brake system. Active caster and tilt engine were other features.

http://www.lrp.cc/en/products/rc-car...m-kit/details/
nitroexpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 04:04 PM   #13
Tech Lord

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

I don't know who was first to design the piston brake system but my Agama has it also and I don't know how I lived without it for so long. Also unlike the serpent, the Agama has a traditional straight across linkage system and the center diff housing is revolutionary to say the least. Not having those stupid brake cams that squeeze only half the brake plates is by far the best thing to happen to RC in a long time.
Old 03-08-2011, 04:16 PM   #14
Tech Champion

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

I am not sure what my favorite current improvements are, but I have a pet peeve with a few cars !

FUEL TANKS ! I don't think many manufacturers pay enough attention to the fuel tank design.. Having a improperly functioning fuel tank can make tuning an absolute nightmare...and unfortunately there are many cars on the market with very poorly designed fuel tanks that do not provide consistent fuel supply during operation......
Old 03-08-2011, 04:25 PM   #15
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 94 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maximo View Post
I am not sure what my favorite current improvements are, but I have a pet peeve with a few cars !

FUEL TANKS ! I don't think many manufacturers pay enough attention to the fuel tank design.. Having a improperly functioning fuel tank can make tuning an absolute nightmare...and unfortunately there are many cars on the market with very poorly designed fuel tanks that do not provide consistent fuel supply during operation......

Very well put.
---Xray, RC America, Pro-Line Racing, FX Royal, Hudy, KO Propo, 92zero Designs, Vision Racing Products, RW-Mods, Team Loosenuts, forddesigns.net--- Big Thanks to: Wheel Brokers Track and Shop, Pine City MN~ "Stompy"
rider313 is offline   Reply With Quote