Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road
Significant design improvements: What are your favorites? >

Significant design improvements: What are your favorites?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Significant design improvements: What are your favorites?

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2011, 03:44 PM
Tech Prophet

having the engine moved more foward and having the compents in the center on the chassis the "lighter weight of 1/8 truggys/buggys" clucker in the tank and lighter truggy rims and tires that last longer and no dam eclips !
Old 03-09-2011, 04:00 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Take a look at a losi car and you pretty much have a list of what's changed right in front of you. Until losi went bold and completely re-invented the 1/8 buggy they hadn't really changed for years and were all pretty much identical.

Big Bore shocks
Offset rear drive
Larger diameter wheel
Spindle style steering
Plate style ackerman system
Light weight driveline
Bearing captured CVD's
Asymmetrical chassis
One piece radio tray
Clunk fuel tank
Larger front brake
centralized motor position
4 shoe clutch system

Just to name a few. All losi innovations.

I should add LPR truggy wheels and Cab forward bodies to that list as well.
Old 03-09-2011, 04:13 PM
Tech Fanatic

I haven't seen this mentioned yet but I like the servo saver adjustment nut on top instead of it being down on the bottom near the chassis where you can't reach it.
Old 03-09-2011, 04:54 PM
Tech Prophet

Originally Posted by DJG24
I haven't seen this mentioned yet but I like the servo saver adjustment nut on top instead of it being down on the bottom near the chassis where you can't reach it.

+1 yes are you listening manufacters it whould make it so much easier to adjust !
Old 03-09-2011, 09:01 PM
Tech Adept

Default Tire gluing fixture

Dirt R/C products Ultimate Tire gluer.
Old 03-09-2011, 10:17 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by popsrocket
+1 - it rocks!!

For those manufacturers out there reading these posts, how about a front toe system that uses preset blocks like the rear toe. I hate having to adjust front toe, it's a pain and is never dead on like the rear unless I get my Hudy station out. It can be done...

I say bring back the old school RC-10 body styles
Attached Thumbnails Significant design improvements: What are your favorites?-early-rc10.jpg   Significant design improvements: What are your favorites?-rc10-bulldog.jpg  
Old 03-10-2011, 12:02 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by DJG24
Standard on JQ's The Car
Old 03-10-2011, 06:48 AM
Tech Addict

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UrbrMuT_sJ4
+1
Old 03-10-2011, 06:57 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

All the improvements to 1/8th scale are great. the last 5 years or so have shown much improved vehicles.

I'm still waiting for the Flux Capacitor though.
Old 03-10-2011, 07:11 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

My first 1/8 nitro buggy was a kyosho mp9, can i ask for more??? LOL
Old 03-10-2011, 07:48 AM
Tech Adept

Default Top of the list

Computer matched muffler bearings!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 03-10-2011, 08:10 AM
Tech Fanatic

Maximo touched on something on the first page, regarding fuel tanks... THANK YOU!.

I cant count how many people have contacted me about tuning, only to have their fuel tank leaking air or not providing fuel at a consistent rate.

On another note, LiFE (pronounced like it's spelled... not "lifie") packs. At 6.4v you dont need a regulator, nor do you need a low voltage cutoff.

Progressive shock springs. This only makes sense, as most high speed damping comes in the first few mm of shock travel.

Fuel composition has changed quite a bit over the past few years. Gone are the days where your engine spits out waxy muck, which also oxidizes your engine. Well, unless you're running cheap RTR crap.

Engine design. I recently read an old article regarding tuning, and how many racers lean their motors out to finish a 5 min qual on 1 fuel tank. Modern competitive mills will easily do twice that. Also, reduction in weight. Our new GXII engine is 33 grams lighter than the previous GX and generation 5 engines. Center of gravity is much lower as well.

I think the future in engine design lies in porting, crankcase design, and exhaust design. There are also some advances to be made in piston and head button design. The future is generating more power on less fuel.

Something we ALL take for granted is screws. Seriously... how many screwheads have you stripped? lost count? A couple of years ago, I started buying hardened steel screws, and have had MUCH less headaches in dealing with pesky stripped screwheads.

servo technology. Remember using plastic gear servos? Even some metal gear servos cant stand up to the abuse of truggy racing. Titanium geared servos are something I've come to rely upon. I literally buy the same servo (7955TG) for everything, and have done so over the past two years.
Old 03-10-2011, 08:44 AM
Tech Addict

Super soft tires, molded tire foams and big bore shocks.
Old 03-10-2011, 08:58 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Ruune

servo technology. Remember using plastic gear servos? Even some metal gear servos cant stand up to the abuse of truggy racing. Titanium geared servos are something I've come to rely upon. I literally buy the same servo (7955TG) for everything, and have done so over the past two years.
Trey Ole pal I have see you drive..... U could destroy kryptonite geared servos in a match-box car...
Old 03-10-2011, 09:04 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Computer matched muffler bearings!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
DUDE you literally just made me LOL and everyone in my office looked at me.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.