R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 03-07-2011, 01:51 PM   #1
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)
Default where to start... Diff oils, gear ratio, etc.

Okay, I know there a probably a few ways to prevent the rear end from braking loose when coming out of a corner - but what is the best place to start.

I have a Losi 8T 2.0 and am running 10k diff oil in the center, 2k in the rear with the stock 50/13 tooth gear ratio. I have AKA Gridirons Blue Medium tires that are brand new. When I get on it coming out of a corner and get on it I tend to break loose and have to back off for a bit. Maybe this is common and I need to learn better driving technique, but what is the best place to start making adjustments?

Everyone at the track says to run the Gridirons in soft or Holeshots. I will order those next, but will it make that much of a difference.

Also, I just bout the center smart diff to see it that helps, but I am not sure it will

Thanks
SDelaney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 01:56 PM   #2
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)

My buddy has the 8ight T electric. Almost positive he is running 100k in the center, 10 in the front, and 7 in the rear... It's insane!!!! One of the most controllable RC's I have ever driven...
Upgrade rc/ Hilton hotels
dug44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 02:42 PM   #3
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Identify what makes you "break loose":

- Poor traction (change tires)
- Too much power
- adjust slipper
- adjust diff lube
- adjust gear ratio (less torque)
- Driving technique
- Track conditions

That's a solid starting point I think...
Dadic 78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 03:37 PM   #4
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

More than likely it's the tire compound. Med is a little firm this time of year. If the tires are too firm and don't get enough heat through them, the pins won't work as well as they should leading to more wheelspin. I would say try softs, that will help. Also understand that Gridirons are a fast tire, but require finess with the throttle to be fast with them. You can't just punch it out of corners-be smooth and roll on the throttle.

What's your clutch setup like? Try one size smaller springs, i.e. from a 1.0 to a 0.9.

Chances are its a combo of the tire compound and driving style. You could also try softening the rear springs/shock fluid, lay the shocks down, etc.
Old 03-07-2011, 08:42 PM   #5
Tech Apprentice

Wink

Wow, 100k diff oil I didn't know they made it that high,that does sound insane.I had the same problem.As mentioned above try different tires,and clutch shoes/springs.Switching to 2 med alum and 2 composite will help or at least it did for me.And try to do it in steps so then you will know what made the biggest difference in your setup.
Old 03-07-2011, 08:59 PM   #6
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 40 (100%+)

I had to lighten the oil wt in my rear shocks. I was running 32.5 and I couldn't get the rear end to break out for the life of me. Local guys recommended 27.5 and now I've found a happy medium.

I can assume the opposite is true (put a heavier shock oil in the rear).
305M3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 09:15 PM   #7
Tech Elite

2K in the rear seems pretty light. Try going to or back to 5K and see if that helps. 7K front, 10K center, and 5K rear should be the kit set up. that usually worked for me when I ran a Losi.

The Smart diff in the center does work, but I liked in the front a little better.

ZX6 - RB6 - MP9e
Fantom Racing, Cheater Racing
Houston's Engine Service
Teufel Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 09:31 PM   #8
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teufel Racing View Post
2K in the rear seems pretty light. Try going to or back to 5K and see if that helps. 7K front, 10K center, and 5K rear should be the kit set up. that usually worked for me when I ran a Losi.

The Smart diff in the center does work, but I liked in the front a little better.
Side note: Teufel - do you run both the center and front smart diffs? I have the front installed and wonder if I should switch out for the center. Or add the center and keep the front. So many choices.

I think this would have been better sent in a PM...
Old 03-07-2011, 10:41 PM   #9
Tech Elite

It's cool man,

I haven't ran a Losi in a while, but when I had it last I started out with a smart diff in the center and as stated worked ok, then added the front to go with it and both worked ok on some tracks, but didn't feel consistant to me. I opted to take out the center and leave the front in and liked it a lot more than having both in or just the center one. It's a preference thing I guess. I even tried some spring mods to get a different feel. I did have to do a little more maint on the smart diffs to keep them feeling the same, but they did work. If I knew one would fit in the RC8T I have, I'd run one up front for sure.

ZX6 - RB6 - MP9e
Fantom Racing, Cheater Racing
Houston's Engine Service
Teufel Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 01:10 AM   #10
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

lighter left index maybe???

The train stops at the train station. The bus stops at the bus station. In my office I have a workstation.
Lonestar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 04:32 AM   #11
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teufel Racing View Post
It's cool man,

I haven't ran a Losi in a while, but when I had it last I started out with a smart diff in the center and as stated worked ok, then added the front to go with it and both worked ok on some tracks, but didn't feel consistant to me. I opted to take out the center and leave the front in and liked it a lot more than having both in or just the center one. It's a preference thing I guess. I even tried some spring mods to get a different feel. I did have to do a little more maint on the smart diffs to keep them feeling the same, but they did work. If I knew one would fit in the RC8T I have, I'd run one up front for sure.
Thanks for the info. I'll probably just leave the front in. However, I do need to rebuild b/c it's feel loosy goosy right now.
Old 03-08-2011, 08:11 AM   #12
Tech Elite

I will try the tires first. I have found that the biggest difference in cornering is the tires. I personally only run soft AKAs.
Old 03-08-2011, 10:02 AM   #13
Tech Fanatic

This is all great. I just put a new RTR clutch on it that I got off ebay so not sure the setup of it.

I also have a Smart Center and front diff, not installed yet. Should I run both in Nitro? I heard the front was better for electric. I will try and change the rear diff fluid to 5k and change to soft tires and see where that gets me.
SDelaney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 10:06 AM   #14
Tech Adept

Try moving the rear hubs back (both spacers forward)... Seemed to help with my kit without having to break into the diffs... I have always run with 10/7/2
I would like to say Thanks to my sponsors: Team OFNA and Sidewinder Fuel
ghost68 is offline   Reply With Quote