R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-07-2011, 11:14 AM   #1
Tech Master
 
boomgagem's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Dublin, GA
Posts: 1,577
Trader Rating: 45 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to boomgagem
Default Aluminum Servo Horns

It seems like every kit people buy needs an aluminum steering servo horn. I always see people upgrading that part first. I am the same way.

Why in the world don't manufacturers just include this part in the kit?!?!

I understand from a business standpoint it's extra revenue, but it seems like the kits actually NEED this part to be functional. What are your thoughts?
__________________
Team Terribles Georgia State Rep
Team Losi Racing
Pineland RC Race Director
boomgagem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 11:22 AM   #2
Tech Regular
 
Lilja's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 402
Default

Im not exactly sure why the aluminium servohorn hysteria even started.
Ive been racing since 1998 and Ive never used an aluminium servohorn and Ive never stripped a servohorn either.
If you have a standard servohorn with an aluminium ring it should be sufficient, and if it isnt Id rather have it strip the horn than bust the servo.
Although Im guessing Im fairly alone thinking like that.
__________________
Serpent S811 Novarossi Plus-4 BTT Futaba BLS451/452
Serpent S811T OS 25XZ Futaba BLS351/352
Serpent 966 Futaba 9451x2
TLR 22 Toro 9.0kv Futaba BLS451
Futaba 4PK
Lilja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 11:42 AM   #3
Tech Adept
 
Lochii's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Nijmegen, Holland
Posts: 124
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilja View Post
Im not exactly sure why the aluminium servohorn hysteria even started.
Ive been racing since 1998 and Ive never used an aluminium servohorn and Ive never stripped a servohorn either.
If you have a standard servohorn with an aluminium ring it should be sufficient, and if it isnt Id rather have it strip the horn than bust the servo.
Although Im guessing Im fairly alone thinking like that.
+1, I've never used aluminium horns as well.
__________________
Mugen Seiki // Alpha Plus // Sav÷x // AKA // Proline
Lochii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 11:45 AM   #4
Tech Elite
 
jmaxey51's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Athens, GA
Posts: 3,917
Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by boomgagem View Post
It seems like every kit people buy needs an aluminum steering servo horn. I always see people upgrading that part first. I am the same way.

Why in the world don't manufacturers just include this part in the kit?!?!

I understand from a business standpoint it's extra revenue, but it seems like the kits actually NEED this part to be functional. What are your thoughts?
ive always wondered the same thing... but then i see some running plastic ones with no issues, i stripped steering ones but never have with throttle. i guess its so they can sell the kit then sell an aluminum servo horn also which when that happens the person usually buys other parts while they are making a order. thats the only reason i could think of... i always ran steering with aluminum and throttle plastic until very recently.
__________________
Jonathan Maxey - Mugen Seiki USA, Alpha-Plus Engines, O'donnell Fuel Team, Sweep Racing USA, M2C Racing, Airtronics, TritonRC.com, RC Renew, 4C Hobby Supply
Mugen MBX7 / Alpha-Plus Engine / Airtronics M11x
Mugen MBX6T / Alpha-Plus Engine / Airtronics M11x
Mugen MBX7 Eco / LRP / Airtronics M11x
jmaxey51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 12:17 PM   #5
Tech Master
 
nitroexpress's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 1,919
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by boomgagem View Post
It seems like every kit people buy needs an aluminum steering servo horn. I always see people upgrading that part first. I am the same way.

Why in the world don't manufacturers just include this part in the kit?!?!

I understand from a business standpoint it's extra revenue, but it seems like the kits actually NEED this part to be functional. What are your thoughts?
They would have to include three horns to fit the different servos available. They would rather not bump up a kit price, even if it is only $10 or so.
nitroexpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 12:20 PM   #6
Tech Lord
 
Frank L's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: NorCal
Posts: 12,500
Trader Rating: 148 (100%+)
Default

I always use alum servo horns I have bent steering horns and seen them strip out. These cars take a beating and thats just one less part to fail. Plus they add bling
__________________
- X-Ray/ RC America Team Driver - MKS -
- XB8 - XB8T - XB8 E - OS Spec III - B2102 - 4PXR -
~ SSC ~ Godfather ~ Ironman ~ ButterySmooth ~
Frank L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 01:30 PM   #7
Tech Master
 
boomgagem's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Dublin, GA
Posts: 1,577
Trader Rating: 45 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to boomgagem
Default

Every time I run a plastic steering horn, it strips, and that is being very forgiving on the EPA.

I like the bling too Frank LOL
__________________
Team Terribles Georgia State Rep
Team Losi Racing
Pineland RC Race Director
boomgagem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 01:34 PM   #8
Tech Prophet
 
tc5 man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: levittown pa
Posts: 16,867
Default

il say you can probety get away with running a plastic servo horn on a 1/8 buggy for the steering but truggy hell no !

whould you notice a diffrence running a alum horn on the throttle servo i know it has less slop than the plastic servo horns on the throttle.
tc5 man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 02:22 PM   #9
Tech Master
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Oceanside CA
Posts: 1,075
Default

I have run alum at least on steering for years & will continue to do so. They make servos with huge torque now & a 7-8 lbs car @ 35 mph into a wall with large diam truggy & buggy wheels is not a happy ending kinda deal. With a good qual servo its one less potential dnf to ruin your weekend.

I have seen plastic servo horns come a long way in the last 15 years & ran the x-ray supplied steering servo horn for a week or 2 on my last 808 with no problems till I got another alum one in. I know from years of experience my Hitec servos dont break & niether does the 808 now, why would I put a fusable link between the 2?

I suppose in 1/10 scale offroad(other than slash) plastic steering horns may be OK as your front arms will break when you tag a wall or another car before the servo horn strips but around here 1/10 buggy & truck is dead compared to 1/8.

If any of you remember when the D8 came out how did those plastic horns fare?
As far as the the original question of why? Money, say a company makes 5 cars that people typicaly put alum horns on 1/10 nitro & elec touring,nitro 1/8 onroad,1/8 buggy & truggy & they make 1,000 of each car & theres 3 major & 1 odball servo splines & they only supply alum horns for steering. Now imagine the glass is 1/2 empty kind of guy going on all these forums saying how that MFG is trying to cheap out & not supply alum horns for throttle. 5,000 kits X 6 horns per kit(if they delete the oddball spline that nobody uses) X $3 per horn. They know that RC people are brand loyal & once they find a servo brand they like they stick with it. Now you have $60,000 of wasted servo horn money sitting in junk drawers around the world.

Also realize not all servo horns are the same.The horn is designed around the car not the other way round. Some are short, some long,some offset left or right so they cant just make a run of 5000 of each slpine.

I would like to see a discount on horn from the MFG when purchased through them & show a sales reciept for their kit, but again that leaves it open to cheating by passing around reciepts.
__________________
"TEAM TERRIBLES"
butch man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 02:35 PM   #10
Tech Master
 
boomgagem's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Dublin, GA
Posts: 1,577
Trader Rating: 45 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to boomgagem
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by butch man View Post
I have run alum at least on steering for years & will continue to do so. They make servos with huge torque now & a 7-8 lbs car @ 35 mph into a wall with large diam truggy & buggy wheels is not a happy ending kinda deal. With a good qual servo its one less potential dnf to ruin your weekend.

I have seen plastic servo horns come a long way in the last 15 years & ran the x-ray supplied steering servo horn for a week or 2 on my last 808 with no problems till I got another alum one in. I know from years of experience my Hitec servos dont break & niether does the 808 now, why would I put a fusable link between the 2?

I suppose in 1/10 scale offroad(other than slash) plastic steering horns may be OK as your front arms will break when you tag a wall or another car before the servo horn strips but around here 1/10 buggy & truck is dead compared to 1/8.

If any of you remember when the D8 came out how did those plastic horns fare?
As far as the the original question of why? Money, say a company makes 5 cars that people typicaly put alum horns on 1/10 nitro & elec touring,nitro 1/8 onroad,1/8 buggy & truggy & they make 1,000 of each car & theres 3 major & 1 odball servo splines & they only supply alum horns for steering. Now imagine the glass is 1/2 empty kind of guy going on all these forums saying how that MFG is trying to cheap out & not supply alum horns for throttle. 5,000 kits X 6 horns per kit(if they delete the oddball spline that nobody uses) X $3 per horn. They know that RC people are brand loyal & once they find a servo brand they like they stick with it. Now you have $60,000 of wasted servo horn money sitting in junk drawers around the world.

Also realize not all servo horns are the same.The horn is designed around the car not the other way round. Some are short, some long,some offset left or right so they cant just make a run of 5000 of each slpine.

I would like to see a discount on horn from the MFG when purchased through them & show a sales reciept for their kit, but again that leaves it open to cheating by passing around reciepts.
Good response, makes perfect sense. I guess it's just wishful thinking on my part. Would love to have all aluminum horns LOL

And I know the Losi plastic horns are terrible. The AE horns seem much better. Not sure about any others though. I just assembled a Hara D8 for my cousins and he ordered an aluminum horn with the buggy so I never even looked at the plastic one
__________________
Team Terribles Georgia State Rep
Team Losi Racing
Pineland RC Race Director
boomgagem is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
aluminum servo horns dreaux Nitro Off-Road 9 04-09-2009 08:27 PM
New Racers Edge Pro Aluminum Servo Horns RacersEdge1 Nitro Off-Road 13 02-10-2009 10:16 AM



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 09:58 PM.


Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net