R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 03-07-2011, 10:21 AM   #91
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by boomgagem View Post
I race with Jonathan and I don't know what he spends in tires, but I do know he is a fast guy, so before rolling your eyes and being sarcastic, I'd know who I was speaking to before assuming things.

And Jonathan is right. You guys who buy 20 sets a year are just hoarders. You don't need those tires to be competitive. If you drive decent you don't anyways.
Completely disagree with you. Tires are everything in offroad. To be competitive, you need the right tires and right compound. And consider me a hoarder then cause my last tire order was that or more. I race every weekend or close to it and I go through tires. Pretty sure it's not my driving style, that's just the cost of competing at large events. In any case, what difference does it make if it makes me happy and I have fun?
Old 03-07-2011, 10:30 AM   #92
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)
Thumbs up cost

i agree, spend what you can afford. we dont always have to have the latest and greatist. i dont want to figure what i have into it. dropped a grand in the last month and racing season isnt even here yet. my girl is very understanding because it keeps me happy and away from worse things!
delane74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 10:39 AM   #93
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 45 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to boomgagem

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZRC4Me View Post
Completely disagree with you. Tires are everything in offroad. To be competitive, you need the right tires and right compound. And consider me a hoarder then cause my last tire order was that or more. I race every weekend or close to it and I go through tires. Pretty sure it's not my driving style, that's just the cost of competing at large events. In any case, what difference does it make if it makes me happy and I have fun?
It doesn't, what so ever. But to basically call someone a liar because he only used 4 sets of tires a year is ridiculous.

Like I said I know Jonathan, and he is fast at pro level. And he races with Shay Brand and Ryan Lopez.

There isn't anything wrong with disagreeing, but the other guy is way out of line. I'm glad you can afford 20 sets every 6 months, I can't. But I still have fun, and occasionally am competitive with whatever I might have.

Let me put it this way. I ran a set of worn out truggy cityblocks with foams that were so bad you could push down with your finger and feel the rim. I still won our little points series we had.
boomgagem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 10:54 AM   #94
Tech Master

Here you go..

http://www.jlapracemanager.com/PC/Lo...und%20%202.HTM

This is one of my qualifiers that night. I know it's sportsman, and I'm not fast at all, I started racing in June of 09'. But I am smooth and consistent, and I did that with a stock set of Losi XTT tires and those cityblocks I mentioned.

I may be faster if I could afford more tires, but you don't need them.

You guys need to think about something. When someone asks you how much it takes to race and you tell them you need $1,000 in tires every 6 months, that is going to scare people away from our hobby. And honestly, it's not the truth!

Once these new racers get in and race, they will see what it costs and then they can decide if they want to spend what it takes to race on a national level. Some of you guys are taking that chance away from them by scaring them off with inflated numbers and false information.
Old 03-07-2011, 10:55 AM   #95
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Quote:
It doesn't, what so ever. But to basically call someone a liar because he only used 4 sets of tires a year is ridiculous.

Like I said I know Jonathan, and he is fast at pro level. And he races with Shay Brand and Ryan Lopez.

There isn't anything wrong with disagreeing, but the other guy is way out of line. I'm glad you can afford 20 sets every 6 months, I can't. But I still have fun, and occasionally am competitive with whatever I might have.

Let me put it this way. I ran a set of worn out truggy cityblocks with foams that were so bad you could push down with your finger and feel the rim. I still won our little points series we had.
I agree with what you're saying. Everyone has their own budgets. It really boils down to what you want to spend and what makes you happy.
Old 03-07-2011, 11:05 AM   #96
Tech Rookie

Send a message via Yahoo to Buzerk3 Send a message via Skype™ to Buzerk3

i agree, buy what you can afford. Even though you cannot afford to, as i like to say "be prepared" an buy alot of extra stuff does not mean other people cant. I know i buy as i go and see what all breaks. Every now and again i will buy 1 or 2 extra of it so when it happens again i can fix it an keep playing but for the most part i have the money to guy it an the patients to wait for it to get to me. An as far as the tire thing, ya i wait until i think my tires are about to go or if i start to see a cut in it an buy the extra set.
Buzerk3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 11:13 AM   #97
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

This debate kills me.

There are tracks out there that don't wear tires, if you are lucky enough to race there.. good!

But to assume because you only need 5 sets of tires a year, no one else should, is rediculous.

If you went to Cali or AZ and raced in the expert class with a budget of 5 tires a year, you wouldn't be a happy racer.

A set of king pins or holeshots at the nitro pit in Az = 1 club night.
Old 03-07-2011, 11:16 AM   #98
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeFriery View Post
This debate kills me.

There are tracks out there that don't wear tires, if you are lucky enough to race there.. good!

But to assume because you only need 5 sets of tires a year, no one else should, is rediculous.

If you went to Cali or AZ and raced in the expert class with a budget of 5 tires a year, you wouldn't be a happy racer.

A set of king pins or holeshots at the nitro pit in Az = 1 club night.
I can't comment on Cali or AZ tracks. And you are probably right.

Where would Jared Tebo finish with 1 set of cityblocks on these tracks?
Old 03-07-2011, 11:17 AM   #99
Tech Master

i can tell you he certainly wouldn't win with city blocks
Old 03-07-2011, 11:20 AM   #100
Tech Elite

WAAAY more than I thought. I spend more on my RC Car than I do my real car and I got on them fancy German SUVs...

$2000 RC Car... 15 minutes of racing... $3 Dollar trophy... Priceless.

Sponsors: Visa, Mastercard, Amex, and my wife's bank account.
Edumakated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 11:26 AM   #101
Tech Master

i guess the point of my post was this:

The cost of racing varies greatly depending on your home track
The cost of racing varies based on your expectations, and competitiveness.

you cant quantify it generally
Old 03-07-2011, 11:36 AM   #102
Tech Elite

I'd say if you are remotely serious about racing, it is probably somewhere around $5k a year or more. This is buying new tires every couple of races, tools, maintenance, batteries, and other misc sh*t every week.

I honestly stopped adding it up because I don't want to be shocked. However, you can't put a price on fun. I rather spend it on this stupid toy than Coke and Hookers.

I rarely spend a lot in one shot unless I'm buying a new kit. What trips people up is you spend a lot of money on small misc stuff in little increments. $5 bucks here. $20 here. $10 there. It all adds up to some serious numbers on an annual basis. This hobby has a way of "$5 dollaring you to bankruptcy."

Sponsors: Visa, Mastercard, Amex, and my wife's bank account.
Edumakated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 11:38 AM   #103
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Quote:

thank you for the nice words sir

and if everyone read my post i said 4 buggy tires sense sept/oct last year (i was running truggy at the beginning of the year only)... this year i had a little more money to spend so i bought 6 sets of tires and was given a free set also... they should last me till at least mid summer.
Mugen MBX7 Eco / LRP / Airtronics M11x
jmaxey51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 12:08 PM   #104
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to rcrevolution

a few years back I scored a brand new hyper 8 pro with a hand modded novarossi engine, tires, and exhaust for $550 from a hobby shop, add $150 for servos, and $70 for a s/b for the .21 engine and I got into 1/8th for $770, I already had a receiver and airtronics m8 radio which I don't count towards the price.
rcrevolution is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 12:14 PM   #105
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Its hard to keep the costs down... I was thinking about grabing a 4x4 SC truck... but the kit plus a good motor and ESC.. toss in a high C rated lipo.. another RX.. a good servo.. and bam your up to 700-800 in no time.

and i thought SC was cheap...
Dnano
fallguy is offline   Reply With Quote