R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 03-07-2011, 05:35 AM   #76
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcion View Post
Its best if you dont know. I went back and looked at my online store purchases for the past 12 months, it showed right around 3500.00 bucks, that does not include my ebay purchases, which 2 months ago was 100 bucks a day for 30 days, does not include my local hobby shop purchases which for example this weekend i spent about 350.00 for miscellaneous things such as tires, fuel, other things not mentioned that i cant remember. Also does not include my rctech transactions in the for sale threads. Its time to start cutting costs, I am sure I can do the acetone thing with used tires and also buy Aka Foams since proline ones cant stay together. Since I drive an Xray, I feel that tires are the main thing I have to purchase since the buggy can probably get thru the entire year without needing parts to replace like other brands.
I reuse rims - I have several sets of rims - I use the oven method to remove the tires. Then use my dremel to remove any left over glue and it scuffs the rime for the new glue / tire combo. I bought a new set (4) I-Beams - then broke an upper Rod end and cut the sidewall of one of the new tires. So one of my pre-mounts gone. 26 bucks down the drain. I saved the rim and later got a set of City-blocks on Yellow rims from a fellow racer. Baked them off the yellow rims and remounted them on the white AKA rims. A savings of 50 dollars. I mounted 2 of the good I-Beams on other rims and used them on the back for forward traction and I'm getting ready to bake them off again to mount some Calibers.

That's one way to save money -

Another way, is to practice at your local track / club race. Entry fee's are half of a race day fee. You can take your time tuning and setting up your suspension. Become one with your RC, ask other racers for idea's and help understanding the geometry.. etc. Borrow some tires if you can and see how they do for a couple laps without changing your suspension. Then when you invest on tires / fuel / glow plugs / you have a feel for the direction you are going. Saves money, I promise.

Be careful of feedback / opinions / every buggy is different in adjustment, yet most can achieve the same settings. I was told by a fellow RC'r oh your car needs "x" and it gets you thinking, then another fellow RC'r said .. ohh your need to run you camber rods in the top hole all the way in "That's how he runs them" - DON'T CHANGE your whole setup because someone said to. Ask them, what do you drive, and how does that affect the suspension. Record your setup up - and make one change at a time - if you don't like it - you can put it back - or you can back adjust till you get to where you were.

I Promise you - it saves you money!!!

Don't worry about all the new upgrades - upgraded parts do not make you a better driver - practice practice practice ....

My upgrades only come after I break something - I record how I broke it or how it got broke and say ok - I need the upgraded part - or .. OOPS maybe jumping 30' to clear a jump is not in my better interest - I can replace that plastic part - or time to get that lighter aluminum or carbon fiber upgraded part.

Saves you money -

Most of all - Have fun !!
Old 03-07-2011, 06:04 AM   #77
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmaxey51 View Post
if you spend that on tires alone you are wasting tires or running on some very abrasive tracks. ... last year running truggy most of the year and then started running buggy around september/october, i didnt spend half that on tires for both! i had 3 sets of truggy tires all year (still have them actually) and 4 sets of buggy tires! i run pro buggy and truggy....

if you shop smart you can spend so much less, i bet i dont have 1200 in my whole buggy setup including radio. people need to realize you dont have to spend tons to be competitive at all, sportsman or pro classes... i go as cheap as possible and if you shop around there are deals out there for sure. i know when i started i had less than 500 in my buggy (granted that i was given an engine) and was winning sportsman buggy and then with the same setup making the top 5 in pro buggy easy. i hate when people say you HAVE to spend this amount to be competitive because that is FAR from the truth.

just my 2 cents.
Yeah, I'd like to see you last a year of weekly racing on 4 sets of buggy tires ......
Old 03-07-2011, 06:14 AM   #78
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcaputo View Post
With the price of the chassis taken into consideration what do you believe is the lowest cost to own over a year or two.. mainteinace parts and commonly broken parts cost.. Just cause a kit is cheap doesnt mean its unreliability will make it the cheapest kit to own
Not to sound arrogant but if you have to add it up this may not be the best hobby for you.
Old 03-07-2011, 06:24 AM   #79
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 40 (100%+)

It's cheaper than any other form of motorsport and cheaper than a good golf membership

And a lot more fun!
ben73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 06:45 AM   #80
Tech Elite

Some of you guys are hilarious.

You can not compare playing with TOYS to anything 1.1.

This hobby is very expensive. A set of truggy tires are about $80, fuel around $30 a gal, and say $25 for extra parts per week.

If your not a sponsored pro and you use a new set of tires for every qualifier, then your rich. Simple as that. Hell even a bunch of sponsored drivers I know dont do that.

Anyway you calculate this, its expensive.
Old 03-07-2011, 06:54 AM   #81
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

it cost about 3x more than I tell my wife. If she really knew, she would want a divorce or a bigger diamond.....
Muggified LST- Teal head 427, RD logic pipe, JR servos, panther tires
morkendi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 07:15 AM   #82
Tech Master

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 67 (100%+)

man some of you guys kill me. this is a hobby that we all do for FUN
you can not put a price on FUN. hanging out with good freinds playing
with toy cars in the dirt. spend what you need to have fun. if FUN is
buying a new kit then do it. I don't like to know how much I spend.
last year Frank and I got some little trucks to race at this one race long story short we did not even get to race them LOL.did I have FUN yes
so don't over think the hole thing just have FUN
cary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 08:03 AM   #83
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by cary View Post
last year Frank and I got some little trucks to race at this one race long story short we did not even get to race them LOL.did I have FUN yes
AMEN!!
Megacrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 08:43 AM   #84
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by 071crazy View Post
Yeah, I'd like to see you last a year of weekly racing on 4 sets of buggy tires ......
i race almost every weekend, and im a sponsored driver so im not some noob... if you arent throttle happy and buy the right tires in the right compound, they last a very long time. alot of wins and top 3 with those tires.... people think you have to replace tires after every race when they dont even get good until the second or third race...
Mugen MBX7 Eco / LRP / Airtronics M11x
jmaxey51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 08:44 AM   #85
Tech Apprentice

for the 2011 my racing Equipment and,part,fuels,tires,and any think you will need for the racing season is 2000+euros.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
jokersat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 08:58 AM   #86
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by cary View Post
You CAN put a price on fun. Everyone do not have an unlimited TOY car budget. I can hang out with buddies and play with toys in the dirt for FAR less than the cost of RACING.

The reason why this hobby will not take off is because of the price involved. Its becasue when someone ask how much, we scare them off by saying $1500 - $2000 TO START. Ive heard people say, "and thats just to start".

I understand being a pro and the FEW people that travel all over the country to race. But 90% of racers do not do this. They are club racers that are happy with running a chassis for 3 or 4 years. They run tires until they HAVE TO buy new. Hell I went to a club race and those are the guys that have fun. They dont care if there tires are bald, they just be sliding away with a smile on their face. They dont run out and buy every freaking option part they come out with. They dont spend money to replace parts that "look" beat up so their ride is all pretty. Most dont spend hundreds on Wraps and Paint. They dont care what Drake or Tebo run The people on this site that sit here all day and talk crap about this and that are just a FEW people that takes this hobby of playing with toys way to serious. Everyone cant just drop $400 on the newest engine out. or $400 for the new radio. They are happy with the sports radio they have.

I think we can promote this hobby way more if we look at it from the FUN standpoint. Im on a budget, I cant afford to buy 75 engines a year, just to say I have it. I saved and got the DX3R. I will not buy the Pro version just because its new. Running new tires for every race/qualifier. Even if I had the money I think its STUPID.

I think when a person come to you interested, lets get them into something THEY CAN AFFORD. $1000 - $2000 is not helping. We detour more people away from this hobby instead of helping. I rather have them buy a SC or 10th buggy to start. I have seen ALOT of people over that last 2 years spend $250 on a good SC and get into 8th later.

Hell we have to remember that $2000 is alot of peoples monthly income.
Old 03-07-2011, 09:07 AM   #87
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmaxey51 View Post
i race almost every weekend, and im a sponsored driver so im not some noob... if you arent throttle happy and buy the right tires in the right compound, they last a very long time. alot of wins and top 3 with those tires.... people think you have to replace tires after every race when they dont even get good until the second or third race...
Congrats for being sponsored.
Old 03-07-2011, 09:49 AM   #88
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Im just starting out in racing but being the wheeler and dealer that I am I started looking for the deals right away... I met a guy a few weeks ago that used to be sponcered by Losi, he had a like new Losi 8ight 1.0 Truggy (it used to be his back up before he switched to the 2.0) with a Hyper 21 in it.. A few minutes of wheeling and dealing and he gave me the Truggy, brand new Losi starter box, JR Racing controler, an extra set of brand new OFNA rims, and $100 for a little Bersa 380 pistol that I had I only had $200 into the pistol so that only puts me $100 into everything that I just mentioned...
I sold the Hyper 21 for 75 bucks and put that money towards a Clocked O.S.25xz engine, OFNA 086 pipe, M2C clutch set up which totaled $525 shipped. Minus the 75 bucks I got for the Hyper 21 which brings me to a grand total of $450! Then I bought a case of S&W Trophy Blend for $125 shipped, now Im at a total of $575.. Then I started looking into maintaining this thing and started shopping around for ball bearings... $4+ per bearing wasn't going to work for me lol, so I found some guys on e-bay selling the different bearings that I would need for the wheel hubs, diffs, and clutch at .99 a piece and got $40 worth..

So for a grand total of $615 I have an almost new Losi 1.0 Truggy with new Hot Bodies tires, two sets of rims, bearings for several rebuilds, 4 gallons of top notch fuel, a bada$$ ClockWorkRacing engine w/pipe and good clutch set up and a few glow plugs... Not to bad for starting out! I plan on selling my modded Jato for $300 which would only put me $315 into it so far.. With a little bit of effort and a lot of wheeling and dealing I think this could be a fairly affordable hobby!
abqNitro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 10:02 AM   #89
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 45 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to boomgagem

Quote:
Originally Posted by 071crazy View Post
I race with Jonathan and I don't know what he spends in tires, but I do know he is a fast guy, so before rolling your eyes and being sarcastic, I'd know who I was speaking to before assuming things.

And Jonathan is right. You guys who buy 20 sets a year are just hoarders. You don't need those tires to be competitive. If you drive decent you don't anyways.
boomgagem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 10:20 AM   #90
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by boomgagem View Post
I race with Jonathan and I don't know what he spends in tires, but I do know he is a fast guy, so before rolling your eyes and being sarcastic, I'd know who I was speaking to before assuming things.
Oh, sorry you got offended.