R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 03-06-2011, 06:30 PM   #61
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

My answer to the question is "DON'T ASK!"

If you're in control, you're not driving it fast enough!

XRAY / NOVAROSSI / SANWA / AKA TIRES / BYRON FUEL
ganymede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 06:47 PM   #62
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

do the guys with full factory sponsorships have other means of income, or do they RC for a living? Seriously, i want to know
Old 03-06-2011, 07:18 PM   #63
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

i guess a truggy would eat the tires a bit less than a buggy. And i know this is the nitro area but i think it would cost less to race brushless... and i know it costs less to get set up with burshless (me and a buddy started at the same time, same gear same kit. he went nitro)
Dnano
fallguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 07:23 PM   #64
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by fallguy View Post
i guess a truggy would eat the tires a bit less than a buggy. And i know this is the nitro area but i think it would cost less to race brushless... and i know it costs less to get set up with burshless (me and a buddy started at the same time, same gear same kit. he went nitro)
Nitro makes noise ... noise is good
Old 03-06-2011, 07:28 PM   #65
Tech Regular

Also for you club racers out there .. I'm new in my area and never been to the track.. I can't just go solo no one for the pit? Basically none of my friends are into rc .. drag my wife to fuel up
Old 03-06-2011, 07:37 PM   #66
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to kaptain crash

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcaputo View Post
Also for you club racers out there .. I'm new in my area and never been to the track.. I can't just go solo no one for the pit? Basically none of my friends are into rc .. drag my wife to fuel up
Its easy to find pit guy's and most are willing to help new racer's with issue's that they might be having.

Last edited by kaptain crash; 03-06-2011 at 07:38 PM. Reason: spelling sucks lol
kaptain crash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 08:33 PM   #67
Tech Prophet

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 91 (100%+)

1,000$ ? hmmmm thats funny

if you wanna be serious about racing in the top levels , it costs lots , if you just wanna club race and drive rc cars you can get by with much less invested . sweep tires are a very cost effective part of rc racing

i cant even really figure out how much stuff i have , i know its a lot
TEAM FUSION X ENGINES / TEAM BYRON ORIGINALS / TEAM PROLINE RACING TIRES / TEAM SICK GRAPHICS /TEAM KYOSHO / things I support: COMP HEAT DEALER /TEAM LUNSFORD/ FUSIONX™ USA / TEAM KYOSHO / "H.E.S."™ / BYRON FUELS / RC-OMGUSA/KICWEBDESIGNZ/AKA TIRES/PROLINE RACING TIRES /RAYA RACING/BUKU POWER CLUTCH/M2CRACING/special thanks to STAV and JIM HOTTIGREENMOUNTAINGRILLS.COM
houston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 08:36 PM   #68
Tech Elite

I am looking up a few guys that have been with Caster for a while. Granted, this might not include tires or anything else... Some guys bought caster tires prior to them becoming vp pro, some bought grenade motors, etc....

I will not give their names to protect them...lol. Also, I know for a fact that they race alot!

First order Dec 2008. Still with us as a customer currently. Owns a fusion 1/8 and a sniper 1/10 with all upgrades. Placed 40 orders through us in almost 3 years Total spent with us $2713.00

First order Jan 2009. Still with us as a customer currently. What sucks is this guy has bought for others with my permission through his account so the numbers are skewed to look worse than they are. Owns a Fusion truggy and buggy. Placed 20 orders through us. Total spent with us $2023.00

First order Dec 2008. Still with us as a customer currently. This guy owns a zx1.5r and a fusion buggy. Placed 16 orders through us. Total spent was $1477.00

First order placed Jan 2010. Still with us as a customer currently.
Placed 9 orders through us. This guy owns a fusion pro buggy and nitro pro truggy and a sniper 1/10. Total spent was $1886. He is a very smooth driver.

What I did notice is that as time passes, the frequency and quantity of purchases tends to decline. This leads me to several conclusions. Most obvious is that the quality has improved greatly, but also, when you know what the car can and can't do or you learn how to drive it, then it seems that you break it less frequently.
Semi-Retired from this industry at this time.
hakmazter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 08:42 PM   #69
Tech Elite

For fun I pulled up a guy that owned an original Caster truggy who constantly was ordering diff parts, etc.... back in the day.

He was a customer for a year back in 08. He spent $1757.

I know he was a Grenade and Caster servo buyer....
Semi-Retired from this industry at this time.
hakmazter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 08:49 PM   #70
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dburt86 View Post
do the guys with full factory sponsorships have other means of income, or do they RC for a living? Seriously, i want to know
I think there is different levels to be sponsored. There is a travel team (pro's ie. magazines etc, RnD guys) and there are the local track guys who are sponsored and get free or discounted stuff from those sponsers. I don't think you're gonna see any RC pro's on MTV cribs.
Old 03-06-2011, 09:17 PM   #71
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Its best if you dont know. I went back and looked at my online store purchases for the past 12 months, it showed right around 3500.00 bucks, that does not include my ebay purchases, which 2 months ago was 100 bucks a day for 30 days, does not include my local hobby shop purchases which for example this weekend i spent about 350.00 for miscellaneous things such as tires, fuel, other things not mentioned that i cant remember. Also does not include my rctech transactions in the for sale threads. Its time to start cutting costs, I am sure I can do the acetone thing with used tires and also buy Aka Foams since proline ones cant stay together. Since I drive an Xray, I feel that tires are the main thing I have to purchase since the buggy can probably get thru the entire year without needing parts to replace like other brands.
Old 03-06-2011, 10:59 PM   #72
Tech Adept

I came back to RC last March 2010. Probably spent over 10 k and only race once every few months. All I gotta say is that it's cheaper than gambling and hoes.
Hyper 10 SC with MMP 2400, SC8E mamba monster 2200
Losi eight Truggy Tekin RX8 2050
burgerchow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 11:33 PM   #73
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

When you add the word "Racing" to anything that can be raced, the cost almost doubles or triples right out of the gate. Just seems to be that way it is. Does it make it right? Nope. Can it be done cheaply? Sure. Will it be fun trying to do so? Maybe, maybe not. Like they say, speed costs money. How fast do you want to go?

What I see a lot of is potential racers buying a decent car or truck and then trying to run 50 bucks worth of gear (Radio, servos, and such). Then they have a hard time and wonder why they are not as fast as their friends or other racers. I get being on a budget, but I always reccomend they they buy the best gear they can and then get a cheaper car or truck (even used), as the readio gear can go from one car ot truck to the next in most cases. That will usually help in the long run, but it's not my money to spend.

As for the total costs? Way too many things that go into that to have one single number to go by. Depends on what level you are trying to race at, type of track you would normally race at (loamy or hard packed), or things like that. Those things will vary from place to place and person to person. All things being equal, after the buy in, the annual cost will mainly be fuel and tires, unless you wish to add in other costs such as entry fees, food, and travel costs. Something that I don't do, but the wife wishes I did. LOL.

ZX6 - RB6 - MP9e
Fantom Racing, Cheater Racing
Houston's Engine Service
Teufel Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 04:23 AM   #74
Tech Adept

ill give you a break down on what it cost to buy from new and race one car a year.

This is australia dollors $ 4500 to be competive not including flights etc that is two motors a year one buggy plus spares radio servos etc the whole lot that is about 18 races wich included a states a couple of two day events etc

why the two motors i always ue a club motor and what i call a big meet motor states national events motor oild fuel glow plugs batteries etc etc i always buy a new car every year and about 500 bucks in spares i will also use tyres for my club racing that i used for the big events,at the big events i will use new tires every second round then retire them with 70 percent left in them for club days then arfter club days retire them for hacking running in duties etc

this is for one car and its a relastic budget to stick with

i used to race saloon cars in australia real size cars this catogory is sorpose to be the best in terms of budgt vs excitment a car alone second hand is 10 15 grand plus 15 grand a season running cost so rc seems cheep hey
rufazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 05:16 AM   #75
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Angry

It costs more than living. I cant afford both so much.

I made 11k last year which includes over 3k in unemployment. The rest was through work.
This area sucks at my age, unless your a younger generation.Trying to get factory work but everyone is laying off.
ok, I'm getting off topic, which it could make it's own topic.
Race Vehicles-SC8 w/ GRP .28 Tuned,RC8T FT-Reedy VR 121 .21, 2035 pipe, RC8B-Reedy .21
http://www.jerrysrcraceway.com/
mgtmadness2007 is offline   Reply With Quote