R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 03-06-2011, 05:06 PM   #46
Tech Champion

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcaputo View Post
With the price of the chassis taken into consideration what do you believe is the lowest cost to own over a year or two.. mainteinace parts and commonly broken parts cost.. Just cause a kit is cheap doesnt mean its unreliability will make it the cheapest kit to own
You cant think about the money...... Just have fun
Authorized Dealer for /Agama / Tekno / Team Associated / Schelle / Hobbywing / PT Racing Shock & Diff oil / Serpent / Tekin / JConcepts / AKA / Proline / Savox / M2C / Picco / www.fiercercsolutions.com Like us on facebook www.facebook.com/FierceRCSolutions
FastPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 05:10 PM   #47
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to camocowboy

When I first started it wasn't as bad. I was a club racer only and didn't know about properly maintaining my car. I ran the same clutch forever and never rebuilt drive line or anything.

Then when I got serious about racing I wasted alot of money on buying extra stuff that I didn't really need. I tried alot of different tires and changed them often. So I ended up with alot of very lightly used gear laying around.

Now that I am an experienced racer and know how to efficiently maintain my cars. I know what tire I like and where they will be good. I keep an A main quality buggy and truggy and a backup buggy most of the time. I have fresh motors and a backup when running big races. I would say with racing at least 2 weekends a month and a few big races every year that I spend 5-10K a year. Everyones idea of expensive is different I suppose. I know it is a large investment but I have played paintball, done rodeo, golfed, etc and always seem to spend about the same. You do what your budget will allow.

Plus I get the most enjoyment out of this
#92 Greg Singletary
Punched R/C Productions - Ascendancy Racing - Byrons Fuel - JGO Paint - The Nitro Pit - One Hobbies Shop and INDOOR RACEWAY
camocowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 05:17 PM   #48
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 45 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to boomgagem

Some guys over analyze this wayyyyyy too much...

The overall cost per year can vary greatly. It all depends on your control over your check book. The main thing to consider is are you just wanting to race on the weekends and have fun, or is traveling and competing in a higher level your thing?

If you're planning to race money races, regional events, and points series at pro level, then this question really shouldn't even be asked.

Now, for the average hobbyist looking to club race, and occasionally race a big race, then you can race on a budget, I do it every weekend.

You don't have to have a brand new set of tires every weekend. That would be wonderful, but for some people it's not realistic. Some members have already mentioned running an older kit, I run a Hitec 5925MG servo and it works great. You don't have to have the best to be competitive, especially at sportsman level.

You can really save some money if you don't buy denatured alcohol, simple green, paper towels, thread lock, quality tools, accessories, etc.

The real cost comes when you replace shock fluid and diff oil every 2-3 races, replace clutch bearings every 2-3 races, replaced parts when worn some, buy unnecessary accessories for your trailer, replace engine bearings every 3 gallons, buy tires for every weekend, have nice looking shells, etc..
boomgagem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 05:20 PM   #49
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

The cars themselves are not what makes this hobby expensive. You buy a good car and gear ($1400) and spend a couple more hundred on a bucket load of parts for yourself for the year. I reckon you may break an arm or so every few months... then once a year maybe a servo or a diff or maybe even an engine. This is not what kills you in this hobby.

What kills you in this hobby is not the car or racing it. It is the fact that on top of the car and kit, you then need tools, and tool boxes and hauler bags and you try out truggies and then try out brushless and then try out on-road and it just goes on and on.

If i stuck to 1/8th nitro racing i would doubt i'd spend more than $20 a week (on average) for racing. But since i buy new radios, and tools, and then F1 cars and cheap cars to give to friends and family to bash, and so on.... i spend on average about $100 bucks a week on RC.

It's all about the fun though isn't it !!
LordAnubis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 05:21 PM   #50
Tech Prophet

Quote:
Originally Posted by 071crazy View Post
Come on, that's ridiculous. About $1000 or more?

Even guys with 100% factory rides will spend more than $1000 in a few months. Think about all of the gear that is not part of their sponsorship.

It would be nice to stay under $1000 a year for tires alone.

thats, what i was saying about at a pro level i run my tires intill there is no "side bite" and the tread is to low the things i dont mess around with with not replaceing them when they are supposed to are clutch shoes, gaskets, diff oil shock oil.

no like i was saying i only race at a club level and do money races and thorgy races.
tc5 man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 05:23 PM   #51
Tech Prophet

Quote:
Originally Posted by boomgagem View Post
Some guys over analyze this wayyyyyy too much...

The overall cost per year can vary greatly. It all depends on your control over your check book. The main thing to consider is are you just wanting to race on the weekends and have fun, or is traveling and competing in a higher level your thing?

If you're planning to race money races, regional events, and points series at pro level, then this question really shouldn't even be asked.

Now, for the average hobbyist looking to club race, and occasionally race a big race, then you can race on a budget, I do it every weekend.

You don't have to have a brand new set of tires every weekend. That would be wonderful, but for some people it's not realistic. Some members have already mentioned running an older kit, I run a Hitec 5925MG servo and it works great. You don't have to have the best to be competitive, especially at sportsman level.

You can really save some money if you don't buy denatured alcohol, simple green, paper towels, thread lock, quality tools, accessories, etc.

The real cost comes when you replace shock fluid and diff oil every 2-3 races, replace clutch bearings every 2-3 races, replaced parts when worn some, buy unnecessary accessories for your trailer, replace engine bearings every 3 gallons, buy tires for every weekend, have nice looking shells, etc..

+1 on club races/money races you dont need to spend a lot of money to be competive

it depends on the person on what they want to spend.
Old 03-06-2011, 05:28 PM   #52
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 45 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to boomgagem

Yeah I agree with Lord, I mean, you don't need the best tools on the market, or decent tool boxes, but it makes the hobby A LOT easier, and headache free.

My tools, pit bags, tools storage probably costs 1,000

you could technically get by with 100 bucks worth of tools.

But I like my EDS ball driver for engine screws, and my Losi Wheel Wrench. Got all my little plano boxes. But you don't have to have that stuff.

Just going off tools you could save a lot of money over some of us, LOL
boomgagem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 05:41 PM   #53
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordAnubis View Post
If i stuck to 1/8th nitro racing i would doubt i'd spend more than $20 a week (on average) for racing.
It's all about the fun though isn't it !!

entry fees in the US are around $20. I would assume Australia is the same. So do you walk to the races?
johnny t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 05:44 PM   #54
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Quote:

Even guys with 100% factory rides will spend more than $1000 in a few months. Think about all of the gear that is not part of their sponsorship.

you said it leslie...

The posters need to decide on this thread. Is it what you need to minimally spend to merely race? or what does it take to be competitive at a pro/expert level?
johnny t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 05:50 PM   #55
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 48 (100%+)

Quote:

The truth!!!!! Tires and Fuel is what makes this hobby expensive. Mr. Chow!!!! Can I borrow a set of Clay boas????
underway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 05:50 PM   #56
Tech Prophet

i spend $17 for a club race if its $20 or more it better be a dam good show

if you dont race a buggy and a truggy on a race day and just do one class your fuel will last longer.

i race just truggy and maybe sc .
Old 03-06-2011, 06:03 PM   #57
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

you have to come up in club racing, so an 8ight rtr is the way to go if you are just starting out. Just grab a new stearing servo and move 590 to throttle brake and you are set.
Muggified LST- Teal head 427, RD logic pipe, JR servos, panther tires
morkendi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 06:09 PM   #58
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cordarrow View Post
Here's some fun....if you're an Amain customer, go to 'my account' and open 'view all orders'.

Start punching numbers on your calculator. Be sitting down for this exersise. The sheer number of pages will offer a hint...LOL.
46 orders since last June...oh man, I didn't even want to look at the other 5 pages LOL!! Hi, my name is Sean and I'm an RC Addict

If this is what you love, then cost shouldn't matter. It's a blast and I've never had a bad time at a race, no matter what the outcome.
Old 03-06-2011, 06:13 PM   #59
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 48 (100%+)

Wow.. My first order from AMAIN was in March of 2005... 11 pages later and I am still ordering from them...
underway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 06:28 PM   #60
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Quote:

if you spend that on tires alone you are wasting tires or running on some very abrasive tracks. ... last year running truggy most of the year and then started running buggy around september/october, i didnt spend half that on tires for both! i had 3 sets of truggy tires all year (still have them actually) and 4 sets of buggy tires! i run pro buggy and truggy....

if you shop smart you can spend so much less, i bet i dont have 1200 in my whole buggy setup including radio. people need to realize you dont have to spend tons to be competitive at all, sportsman or pro classes... i go as cheap as possible and if you shop around there are deals out there for sure. i know when i started i had less than 500 in my buggy (granted that i was given an engine) and was winning sportsman buggy and then with the same setup making the top 5 in pro buggy easy. i hate when people say you HAVE to spend this amount to be competitive because that is FAR from the truth.

just my 2 cents.
Mugen MBX7 Eco / LRP / Airtronics M11x
jmaxey51 is offline   Reply With Quote