Wiki Posts
Search

True Cost to own RC Pro Buggies

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2011, 09:09 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

To the orginal question,

The buy in cost seems right around 750-1200 depending on where you buy from and how much support gear (if any) you have to start with. If you are buying all from scratch then the 1200 range may be more of the norm for the buy in. After that, it will come down to what you the owner does. If you take care of your ride and don't brake too much the cost will be less. Other than the costs for fuel and tires, new parts or upgrade/option parts as you need them. After that, the next step will be how competive you wish to take RC racing or if you are the type that has to get all the newest coolest stuff when it comes out. Those last two things can make the costs go up very fast.
Old 03-07-2011, 09:15 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Every form of motorsport is practically by definition expensive. Tires and fuel are the most expensive, as with anything else.
Old 03-08-2011, 10:12 AM
Tech Adept

used 8ight T 1.0 150$
2.0 shock towers and body off ebay $60
2 HV servos $300
lipo RX batt $30
spectrum radio DX $179
custom paint on body $58
old ice chargenr free$
stolen power supply from old computer free$
ofna truggy box and cheapo 14v 5000 lipo $50
fuel 100$ 4 gallon last years batch fuel from hobby store
glow starter $20
os vspec $230
used pipe free$
tires and wheels, still have to buy
tools and misc already have

so far $ 1180
I couldnt save much but maybe $100 on cheaper servos
Old 03-08-2011, 01:54 PM
Tech Initiate

Regarding the original post, the cost also depends somewhat on where you live (geographically), and how available vehicles and parts are. With that being said, I don't believe that you can really put a price tag on 'joy', within reason of course .
Old 03-08-2011, 05:17 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Talking cost

Originally Posted by Maximo
This hobby is not expensive by any means..it is the most affordable from of motorsport racing in the world...... Compare this to almost any other hobby and its really not that expensive....I was into snowmobiling, now that was an expensive hobby 10K for the sled..2K on hoppups..$500.00 for insurance, $120 for the snowpass..$200.00 for helmet, $90.00 for heated visor...$1200.00 for riding leathers. $200 for fancy gauntlet...Then riding 5000 miles a year on a a machine that barely gets 10 MPG......And this is just trail riding, get into racing sleds and you spend a fortune more....

for what it is, and how much entertainment involved RC racing is extremely affordable IMO....You will not find any other form of motorsport racing that is more affordable... IMO the bang for the buck in RC racing is excellent...The problem is some people just want everything for free....Honestly compared to what we used to pay 15 years ago the prices today are dirt cheap...never before could you get soo much for soo little...... No RC racing is not free, but its far from being expensive....
Hey Maximo, explain that to my wife!
Old 03-08-2011, 05:26 PM
Tech Master

Also, as with many other people on this forum and in this hobby.. I came from another form of racing. I was into karting and then cross country(bicycle) racing, followed finally by cyclocross(ouch). This is cheap in comparison.

But I NEED to race. Thanks to my dad, I have been at a race track(of some kind) since I was just a little turd.
Old 03-08-2011, 05:31 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default receits

Originally Posted by 305M3
That would be a disaster!

When I first got into the hobby, I kept all my receipts in an envelope. Then my wife found the envelope and it was worse than if she were to find pics of me making out w/ another woman. (Of course, that wouldn't happen, but just an example - in case she reads this )

Needless to say, I don't keep receipts anymore, but the biggest lesson I've learned is to do your research and buy "good" first. When you buy cheaper stuff just to get by, you'll spend that much more getting the "good" stuff.
My wife found out how to look up my past transactions with Amain Hobbies. When I came home from work that day it was an awakening. She used a calculator to add it up over a 3 yr period($14,000) after the butt chewing I couldn't tell her that Amain wasn't the only company I bought RC supplies from!

Last edited by tristyn; 03-08-2011 at 08:05 PM.
Old 03-08-2011, 05:38 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Teufel Racing
To the orginal question,

The buy in cost seems right around 750-1200 depending on where you buy from and how much support gear (if any) you have to start with. If you are buying all from scratch then the 1200 range may be more of the norm for the buy in. After that, it will come down to what you the owner does. If you take care of your ride and don't brake too much the cost will be less. Other than the costs for fuel and tires, new parts or upgrade/option parts as you need them. After that, the next step will be how competive you wish to take RC racing or if you are the type that has to get all the newest coolest stuff when it comes out. Those last two things can make the costs go up very fast.
This is pretty spot on. I think $1000-1200 is a good comfortable budget if your a smart shopper to get everything you need to start comfortably.
Old 03-08-2011, 05:41 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

Originally Posted by tristyn
Hey Maximo, explain that to my wife!
Snowmobiling expensive? LOL! I have over $100k just into my HD heavy cruiser alone, LOL! And I get most of my parts at cost. And I didnt put any useless garbage chrome bling on my personal ride either.