R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 03-06-2011, 07:04 PM   #16
Tech Addict

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

Im a DIE HARD AE fan like big time! But there RTR's blow compared to the losi
RTR's - thats right i said it. If you got the money to upgrade an RC8 then congrat's you got a great racer but to get into it and to have great stuff like a starter box and what not, get the LOSI rtr.

RC8B3 - OS Speed .19 - S9352HV - 4PKS

Last edited by DiZzYNaTiOn; 03-06-2011 at 07:05 PM. Reason: got to get
DiZzYNaTiOn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 07:25 PM   #17
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

+1 for the losi RTR... that and one or two 7955 servos and you will be good to go..
Dnano
fallguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 08:43 PM   #18
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (86%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by merdith6 View Post
Not much competition in the rtr market, so yes, the losi is the best rtr buggy, but that's not saying much... I'd get a d8 and a Nova .21bf, a real starter box that will last and an Airtronics radio...MX-3X. You will pay a little more but you won't end up replacing everything, and you will finish races, and your buggy will start before the race does....If you want to race, then get the inexpensive race stuff.

The d8 is what 300 bucks..

That's cheap..
I agree but get an Associated If you need to buy your 8th scale piece by piece, do that. If you buy an RTR you will replace the servos, motor and atleast the motors in the rtr starter box....buy right, buy once.

You race now, what radio do you use?

"If you dont have time to do it right, When do you have time to do it over"
mHOUPS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 08:55 PM   #19
Tech Prophet

i, ran a losi eight 1.0 and a eight-t 1.0 with some 2.0 upgrades and it does drive good the slop in the supension dint bother me but the steering slop and how quick the drivetrain weared did .

for, a beginner the way i heard the rc8b drives and the weight of it compared to the losi buggys sounds like it whould be good for a beginner to drive.

the, losi buggy is pretty fishtaily in the rear if your not smooth on the throttle even the "2.0 buggys" are from what ive heard on here and i know a beginner isnt smooth on the throttle.

i , would just get a kit insend of a rtr the engine on rtr dont last past 2 gallons usally and you can get the joy of building a kit and learing the setups etc.
tc5 man is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 05:14 AM   #20
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Stop with "what I heard" and speak from experience because you are way off.
l3asher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 07:18 AM   #21
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default What I heard

Quote:
Originally Posted by tc5 man View Post
i, ran a losi eight 1.0 and a eight-t 1.0 with some 2.0 upgrades and it does drive good the slop in the supension dint bother me but the steering slop and how quick the drivetrain weared did .

for, a beginner the way i heard the rc8b drives and the weight of it compared to the losi buggys sounds like it whould be good for a beginner to drive.

the, losi buggy is pretty fishtaily in the rear if your not smooth on the throttle even the "2.0 buggys" are from what ive heard on here and i know a beginner isnt smooth on the throttle.

i , would just get a kit insend of a rtr the engine on rtr dont last past 2 gallons usally and you can get the joy of building a kit and learing the setups etc.
I like hearing what you have to say. It makes sense...You are right on TC5...
Old 03-07-2011, 07:41 AM   #22
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tc5 man View Post

I really don't agree with anything here.

A. The Losi 8ight 2.0 has so many adjustments to alter that you can very easily make the vehicle drive correctly without any fishtailing. The engine it comes with is VERY STRONG and also VERY DURABLE, so learning how to setup the vehicle is key. Something you need to learn how to do whether ur a beginner or pro.

B. The Losi engine is VERY DURABLE. It won't last 2 gallons? Says who? People locally here are getting 6-7 gallons and more through it without needing any serious maintenance.

The RC8 RTR is also a nice kit for $400. Again a nice roller, decent engine(not as nice as the Losi's .21)the radio is OK(its an FM unit and is nowhere near as nice as the Spektrum DX3S)as well. If the Losi is out of your budget, this would be a nice second choice. Its nowhere near the same bang for the buck, but its still a good buy.
ntrain42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 09:06 AM   #23
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

A ready to run is just that - READY TO RUN - but not ready to race. The losi is a good rtr car and like ntrain42 said it is very adjustable. If it fishtails change your setting for your caster, shock fluid change, spring etc. Talk to people at your track and see what they are running.

I got My D8(new$180), DX3S(new $220), hitec servos(used $80), batteries(new $20), Charger(new $30), Reedy 2035 pipe and engine(used $150) and starterbox + battery (used $50), misc. like fuel bottle-glow starter-tools(new and used $50) for around about $800, not saying to go this route but shop around for the best deals and look for guys getting rid of stuff or getting out of the hobby and you could find yourself saving quite a bit of money. And the stuff that I listed for me would have cost me over $1400 and I am extremely happy with my decision to buy sale items (D8 and DX3S) and the used items saved me alot of money but shop around and find good deals. There are alot on rctech to look at.

Good luck at whatever way you decide to go with and have fun.
Old 03-07-2011, 09:13 AM   #24
Tech Elite

If your a beginner - and have not driven before - I dont care what chassis you get, the whole car will be all over the place. I believed he said he races electric, if he is halfway decent, he will know how to throttle. Thats what all the local pros tell me. You really want to learn to drive, run some 10th scale.

Any RTR have ups and downs. You will need servos for all of them. I have seen with my own 2 eyes, people getting 6 gallons out of the losi engine. The problem is people let other people tune them and the Losi engine is not a modded Nova - it will not have that power and people tune them way to lean to get the power. We all knows what happens to LEAN engines.
Old 03-07-2011, 11:10 AM   #25
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by madac View Post
A ready to run is just that - READY TO RUN - but not ready to race. The losi is a good rtr car and like ntrain42 said it is very adjustable. If it fishtails change your setting for your caster, shock fluid change, spring etc. Talk to people at your track and see what they are running.

I got My D8(new$180), DX3S(new $220), hitec servos(used $80), batteries(new $20), Charger(new $30), Reedy 2035 pipe and engine(used $150) and starterbox + battery (used $50), misc. like fuel bottle-glow starter-tools(new and used $50) for around about $800, not saying to go this route but shop around for the best deals and look for guys getting rid of stuff or getting out of the hobby and you could find yourself saving quite a bit of money. And the stuff that I listed for me would have cost me over $1400 and I am extremely happy with my decision to buy sale items (D8 and DX3S) and the used items saved me alot of money but shop around and find good deals. There are alot on rctech to look at.

Good luck at whatever way you decide to go with and have fun.
I disagree. My son ran the losi RTR with the box stock parts and pieces and won his first novice race with it. This was not his first race. He switched from the Jammin x2 to the Losi. It was not the easiest layout either this was all done at the nitro pit.
Old 03-07-2011, 11:12 AM   #26
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 45 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to boomgagem

Yeah, while I agree the steering servo needs replacing immediately, the Losi RTR buggy is a very competitive buggy.
boomgagem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 11:46 AM   #27
Tech Initiate

The Losi 2.0 is still loose in the rear, ran both it and the 1.0. However it is very good but you must be at least moderately smooth on throttle.

With that said I'd suggest getting the car that your buddies run and/or guys run at the track which you race most. Also consider the parts avail. from your LHS. To me that is the biggest factor.

Stick with one of the big 5. AE, Losi, HB, Kyosho and Mugen.

Whatever you get stick with it. Don't switch around just because one day your buddies car felt so good.

Lastly get a kit. If you can this is the best route. Most everyone gets hooked and you spend the money anyway. Don't be sucked into the hop-up bug. Lots of rides have tons of after market parts. More often than not plastic stock parts are the way to go. Often drivers think for example Kyosho is so expensive however they try to compare a non-upgraded Losi or AE kit to the most expensive Kyosho team kit. Meaning the SE kit from Kyosho is just fine and comes with upgrades the others don't, it's super competitive, easy to drive and quite frankly the fastest car at the moment.

With all that said can't stress enough to go with a car that your friends at the track run. If you are the only guy running a particular buggy it really stinks because if you need a part in a pinch you're often stuck.
cfish8u2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 12:37 PM   #28
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfish8u2 View Post
The Losi 2.0 is still loose in the rear, ran both it and the 1.0. However it is very good but you must be at least moderately smooth on throttle.

With that said I'd suggest getting the car that your buddies run and/or guys run at the track which you race most. Also consider the parts avail. from your LHS. To me that is the biggest factor.

Whatever you get stick with it. Don't switch around just because one day your buddies car felt so good.

Lastly get a kit. If you can this is the best route. Most everyone gets hooked and you spend the money anyway. Don't be sucked into the hop-up bug. Lots of rides have tons of after market parts. More often than not plastic stock parts are the way to go. Often drivers think for example Kyosho is so expensive however they try to compare a non-upgraded Losi or AE kit to the most expensive Kyosho team kit. Meaning the SE kit from Kyosho is just fine and comes with upgrades the others don't, it's super competitive, easy to drive and quite frankly the fastest car at the moment.

With all that said can't stress enough to go with a car that your friends at the track run. If you are the only guy running a particular buggy it really stinks because if you need a part in a pinch you're often stuck.
Quite frankly if your car is loose in the rear its due to setup error on the driver's part. All of these 1/8th scale buggies, be it a "competition" kit or a RTR kit have basically the same available settings to tweak the car.

And I agree with the above, you can compete just as well with a RTR kit as you can with competition build kit. Normally the only differences are some added bling/durability parts, but the geometry and design of the different kit versions are identical.
ntrain42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 12:49 PM   #29
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfish8u2 View Post

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Tebo is fast - Kings is fast. Kyosho is good but I wouldnt say ITS the fastest.

My Losi is Dialed.... No lose rear end for me.
Old 03-07-2011, 01:06 PM   #30
Tech Prophet

Quote:
Originally Posted by l3asher View Post
Stop with "what I heard" and speak from experience because you are way off.

ok well i do go on the eight 2.0 and hear that so i dont know how im way off
tc5 man is online now   Reply With Quote