Wiki Posts
Search

"That Guy" MMF

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2011, 04:56 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

Originally Posted by dishsoap
Okay good moral story but that guy does not mooch over and over week after week.
Fool me once shame on you, fool me twice shame on me.... < thats a moral story.

Mine story was an experience.

There should be a new RC LAW, no borrowing if you cant pay back.
Old 03-03-2011, 06:09 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

Franky,

Which "That" guy do you speak of? Seems that there many of "That" guy around. Would it be "That" guy that insulted a "Pro" and then asked for more help? Or "That" guy that used free power and didn't even offer to kick down some cash for the gas? Or maybe it was "That" other guy that knows of a guy that knows a guy that might know of "That" guy to which you speak.
Old 03-03-2011, 06:55 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 67 (100%+)

it's not this guy
sorry I had to post it to funny
Attached Thumbnails &quot;That Guy&quot; MMF-picture-037.jpg  
Old 03-03-2011, 07:01 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 148 (100%+)

Originally Posted by cary
it's not this guy
sorry I had to post it to funny
LMAOROTF
Old 03-03-2011, 07:02 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 45 (100%+)

Well I've borrowed some stuff, and I've loaned some stuff. Doesn't bother me enough to make a thread on RC Tech about it.

If I did have a problem I would mention it at the race to the person.
Old 03-03-2011, 07:21 PM
Tech Regular

like the guy at drc a couple rounds back asked me to borrow some loctite and then never returned it, I do a fresh rebuild after the fact then notice I have no loctite.. Loctite is inexpesive but it was just an inconvenience to have to buy more at 9:00pm when I'm already home with pajamas on lol.... The person who stole my loctite, you know who you are and I want it back... Ha!
Old 03-03-2011, 07:21 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 86 (100%+)

Its funny as he?? tho.
Old 03-03-2011, 09:27 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 207 (100%+)

I see it way differently obviously......If someone I know that's active at the track needs help with a part or whatever, I simply do it. Regardless of how many times he may repeat that same question or part request, or to borrow a tool, or marshall for him, it's just the guy that I am at the track and I have no problem in doing it, I occasionally need help in areas as well....I dunno man, what comes around goes around I guess.....I enjoy helping people at the track.
Old 03-03-2011, 09:58 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

Cary,

Thanks for the laugh. I missed that one down there while I was out getting you some Beer.
Old 03-03-2011, 11:25 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

How about "that guy who pees in the cooler"

true story.
Old 03-03-2011, 11:52 PM
Tech Master

How bout that guy u let borrow your reedy engine n 2035, not get it bak for 2 months then finally ask if he can help me out after I break my foot n can't get a hand at the track when my car flips on the track cause he just got his car started haha, I love my friends but sometimes they need to get REAL!

Iv also learned to never leave my glow igniter on the drivers pit lane bench, u end up buying a new one the very next day cause yours got toasted, iv pretty much learned to just stay away from revelation all together after going last Tuesday, crappy track and the people there suck and use ur stuff n if u don't keep n eye out ur stuff gets stolen (M.I.A. Ninja nib ) can't wait to see how the people at arc r from now on, I'm ready to drive on a track that actually gets taken care of.
Old 03-04-2011, 12:56 AM
Tech Fanatic

I'm usually pretty generous when it comes to helping people at the track, but I do have a couple of moments that made me question this practice.

WTF #1 was at the Silver State. I don't recall which year, but we had some trailers to get away from the dirt devils that always attack the track at some point, and I needed to rent a generator to power them. The rental company only had a 24KW diesel generator. So, I let anyone hook into the generator because it would power everyone's pit for the entire event. We even hooked up the whole Jammin team. That wasn't the moment, however. Knowing that there would be so much extra power available, I schlepped my personal air compressor to the track for our guys to clean their cars. Randomly, strangers started walking up and using the compressor as well, which I still didn't mind, but it's not a heavy-duty commercial unit so it's not made for continuous use. But, even that didn't get my dander up - I was happy to help out the racers as long as it wasn't going to blow up my stuff. The tipping point came when many of the random visitors were taking the air nozzle off the tent post and, when they were finished, they simply threw it to the ground. It was enough times that it eventually broke the tip off the air nozzle. Luckily, I had another, but to avoid breaking the last air nozzle, I removed it from the air hose when it wasn't in use. Everyone was still welcome to use it, they just had to ask for the air nozzle so I would know who was using it in an attempt to reduce the number of times it would be tossed on the ground. That earned a few jeers that we were selfish A-holes. No good deed goes unpunished I guess.

The second one was at the Nitro Pit. The guy that drives the tractor to groom the MX track was introduced to me, and he mentioned that he would really love to get into 1/8 buggy racing, but that he can't afford to buy a car. So, I asked Ryan Lutz if he could freshen up his clapped out backup car and give it to this guy, who appeared to be someone of modest means. I thought it would be a nice gesture to hook him up with a freebie, and of course Ryan being the generous guy he is, he spent quite a bit of time putting a car together for him. Long story short, Trevor Clement tells me not 15 minutes after Ryan and I gave him the car, that he was running around the pits trying to sell it... You can't make this stuff up.

These are more for laughs than anything else. I still enjoy helping people at the track - even the annoying ones that never get the sense that they're wearing out the welcome mat. I guess if it starts getting abusive, then I just become less available to that person, but it's a pretty high threshold more often than not. The big smiles and the endless appreciation from the majority of those you help, makes the abusers easier to tolerate.
Old 03-04-2011, 02:45 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by SteveP
I'm usually pretty generous when it comes to helping people at the track, but I do have a couple of moments that made me question this practice.

WTF #1 was at the Silver State. I don't recall which year, but we had some trailers to get away from the dirt devils that always attack the track at some point, and I needed to rent a generator to power them. The rental company only had a 24KW diesel generator. So, I let anyone hook into the generator because it would power everyone's pit for the entire event. We even hooked up the whole Jammin team. That wasn't the moment, however. Knowing that there would be so much extra power available, I schlepped my personal air compressor to the track for our guys to clean their cars. Randomly, strangers started walking up and using the compressor as well, which I still didn't mind, but it's not a heavy-duty commercial unit so it's not made for continuous use. But, even that didn't get my dander up - I was happy to help out the racers as long as it wasn't going to blow up my stuff. The tipping point came when many of the random visitors were taking the air nozzle off the tent post and, when they were finished, they simply threw it to the ground. It was enough times that it eventually broke the tip off the air nozzle. Luckily, I had another, but to avoid breaking the last air nozzle, I removed it from the air hose when it wasn't in use. Everyone was still welcome to use it, they just had to ask for the air nozzle so I would know who was using it in an attempt to reduce the number of times it would be tossed on the ground. That earned a few jeers that we were selfish A-holes. No good deed goes unpunished I guess.

The second one was at the Nitro Pit. The guy that drives the tractor to groom the MX track was introduced to me, and he mentioned that he would really love to get into 1/8 buggy racing, but that he can't afford to buy a car. So, I asked Ryan Lutz if he could freshen up his clapped out backup car and give it to this guy, who appeared to be someone of modest means. I thought it would be a nice gesture to hook him up with a freebie, and of course Ryan being the generous guy he is, he spent quite a bit of time putting a car together for him. Long story short, Trevor Clement tells me not 15 minutes after Ryan and I gave him the car, that he was running around the pits trying to sell it... You can't make this stuff up.

These are more for laughs
than anything else. I still enjoy helping people at the track - even the annoying ones that never get the sense that they're wearing out the welcome mat. I guess if it starts getting abusive, then I just become less available to that person, but it's a pretty high threshold more often than not. The big smiles and the endless appreciation from the majority of those you help, makes the abusers easier to tolerate.
I just leave my bag of stuff locked in the truck n I bring out car, radio m11x in case
With glow ignitor battery inside servo inside, a mugen type bag from lowe's ) holds all my tools my starter box 1 tin quart of fuel fuel bottle calipers mini driver inside outside is for tools on 2 sides the other two holds a tuppawear box with bolts glow plugs n that stuff in need at racetime n the other zips into a side bag that holds fuel line n some plastic parts, turnbuckle complete at all times. I went extreme to keep my stuff safe here in Cali. Ppl snatch stuff up if u don't have it protected n I just rather have it all with me. I'll put my radio case right by me. True story. Lol.
Old 03-04-2011, 07:00 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 207 (100%+)

Originally Posted by SteveP
The big smiles and the endless appreciation from the majority of those you help, makes the abusers easier to tolerate.
+1 Steve....very well said sir
Old 03-04-2011, 07:33 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Steve; same here.

I will lend parts, tools, whatever. I used to leave my compressor out in the open. At a big race, people were just helping themselves. I came back from a race, marshall, pit to find my compressor not working.
Some impatient a hole wasnt getting enough air and rather waiting for it to recover, cranked the pressure up that it broke the safety and blew the motor.

There wasn't a single dollar or cent left behind. When people still came up and I told them that someone blew it up they were indifferent.

Now,It seems like people get annoyed when you keep your air compressor stuffed away or disconnect the tip. It is my compressor, I bought it and carried it in. Ask first..

Last edited by willbe; 03-04-2011 at 10:45 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.