Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road
Got my D8T! Now for questions.. >

Got my D8T! Now for questions..

Got my D8T! Now for questions..

Old 04-03-2011, 05:42 AM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by MotoGod
Slower than a Revo? What engine you got in there a .12? lol I had a Revo and it was quick....but my D8T would blow it's doors off with my B5 or my Alpha Plus in there!

As far as the carb issue.....have you tried heating it up? It may help....
My Revo was a Qoncepts BB with a Mach 427 in there. It'd go 65 pretty easily. I think this thing is more in the 30's range with the Axial .28 in there. But thats fine, speed runs aren't were it's at, and the Revo was uncontrollable on a track with my setup lol.

I'll try a heat gun on it and let you know.

Originally Posted by NitroOB4You
With the carb pinch bolt...just because you removed the screw, it doesn't always loosen up the two halves of the retainer. Thread the screw back in about half way, then GENTLY! tap on the screw head. This will seperate the two halves and you should be able to wiggle it out.
Thanks! I'll give it a shot with a heat gun also.
Old 04-03-2011, 05:46 PM
Tech Initiate

I got the carb out finally. I had to remove the collars that the screw holding the carb on thread into. However, I can't get it to snug down no matter what I do... any ideas on that?
Old 04-03-2011, 08:14 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 118 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Redrawker
My Revo was a Qoncepts BB with a Mach 427 in there. It'd go 65 pretty easily. I think this thing is more in the 30's range with the Axial .28 in there. But thats fine, speed runs aren't were it's at, and the Revo was uncontrollable on a track with my setup lol.

Yeah that Axial is probably a tad slow. The Mach 427 was an OK engine I suppose. It wasn't much of a powerhouse either, but it moved out plenty. LRP28R Spec 3 was a sick engine in a Revo though ;-) hehehe
Old 04-04-2011, 04:17 AM
Tech Initiate

Yeah that Axial is probably a tad slow. The Mach 427 was an OK engine I suppose. It wasn't much of a powerhouse either, but it moved out plenty. LRP28R Spec 3 was a sick engine in a Revo though ;-) hehehe
The Mach was all I was comfortable running in the Revo. I had beefed up the drive train, but I didn't want to run the risk of ripping it apart. The Mach was easy to tune, and had a smooth predictable powerband. And it was a heck of a lot stronger than any small block I'd ran So I was happy with it.

Any advise on getting the carb to snug down?
Old 04-04-2011, 08:01 PM
Tech Initiate

I'm totally at a loss here... waiting on suggestions.
Old 04-04-2011, 08:44 PM
Tech Elite

The Mach was all I was comfortable running in the Revo. I had beefed up the drive train, but I didn't want to run the risk of ripping it apart. The Mach was easy to tune, and had a smooth predictable powerband. And it was a heck of a lot stronger than any small block I'd ran So I was happy with it.

Any advise on getting the carb to snug down?
Snap some pics of the carb neck and the hole in the block for it....then some of it together. Worst case you might need a new carb body. They snug down pretty simply....assuming the carb neck isn't warped or anything.
Old 04-05-2011, 01:56 AM
Tech Master

I'm totally at a loss here... waiting on suggestions.
Sounds like someone tightened down the carb too tight and squeezed the carb neck into a smaller diameter where the pinch bolt rides. Three options. Glue, tape or new carb.
Old 04-05-2011, 08:04 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by nitroexpress
Sounds like someone tightened down the carb too tight and squeezed the carb neck into a smaller diameter where the pinch bolt rides. Three options. Glue, tape or new carb.
That's what I was thinking as well.....just wanted pics to confirm ;-)
Old 04-06-2011, 08:18 PM
Tech Initiate

Snap some pics of the carb neck and the hole in the block for it....then some of it together. Worst case you might need a new carb body. They snug down pretty simply....assuming the carb neck isn't warped or anything.
I've never had this issue with another carb.

Here are some pics like you suggested. I apologize for the poor quality.

EDIT: those turned out worse than I realized. My bad.

To sum it up though, basically the carb throat has two marks on it from the screw, although I cannot tell for certain if they are actual indentions. If they are, they are very faint. When I snug it down, it has movement in the form of twisting, but not up or down travel.

I'm thinking I need a new carb body anyway. This one is marked to pieces.
Attached Thumbnails Got my D8T! Now for questions..-101_0701.jpg   Got my D8T! Now for questions..-101_0709.jpg   Got my D8T! Now for questions..-101_0712.jpg  
Old 04-07-2011, 04:21 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

This is why I never count on used motors unless I have seen it or personally know the person, even if it comes a rtr package. It is nice to be suprised, but I never expect them to be in good shape. I would really think about getting some kind of 21 or such. You can get several for a decent price. Not saying we cant work this out, bepends on if you want to keep dealing with it.
Old 04-07-2011, 05:35 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

A stock Mach 427 in a Revo is tops a 45 MPH machine...to hit 65 you need something like a modified OS 28.......If you put one of my modified B5's in your truggy it would flat out murder your Revo !!!!!! Axials do not make good truggy engines as they have no top end and really lomit your speed....
Old 04-07-2011, 06:28 AM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by morkendi
This is why I never count on used motors unless I have seen it or personally know the person, even if it comes a rtr package. It is nice to be suprised, but I never expect them to be in good shape. I would really think about getting some kind of 21 or such. You can get several for a decent price. Not saying we cant work this out, bepends on if you want to keep dealing with it.
The engine itself seems to be ok. I didn't see any rust or wear on the crankshaft, and the piston looks great. I'm guessing the carb body is destroyed, which is only a $16.00 replacement.

I don't really have the $200 to spend on a new engine/exhaust in the first place, so I'm really trying to just get this engine up and running.
Old 04-07-2011, 06:35 AM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by Maximo
A stock Mach 427 in a Revo is tops a 45 MPH machine...to hit 65 you need something like a modified OS 28.......If you put one of my modified B5's in your truggy it would flat out murder your Revo !!!!!! Axials do not make good truggy engines as they have no top end and really lomit your speed....
The deputy sheriff drove by my subdivision and saw me driving the Revo way back when, and offered to clock it on his dash mounted radar. He said it was making consistent 57mph passes based on that. I feel like that was pretty accurate. At that time, I had a tooth sheared off the first gear in my tranny, so it had a hard time shifting when it shifted at all. Once I replaced it I'd say it was doing 60mph passes.

I have no doubt a truggy is a better platform than the Revo; and the Axial is far from the best mill that even I have used. However, I'm hoping it'll suffice for some club level racing this spring and summer. If I find I need to upgrade, I'll do it then when money isn't as tight.
Old 04-07-2011, 07:48 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

may be pic quality, but looks like some damage to the case where the carb goes in? I would defiantly seal it with some high temp copper gasket sealant. A tube is real cheap at the auto part store.
Old 04-07-2011, 08:15 AM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by morkendi
may be pic quality, but looks like some damage to the case where the carb goes in? I would defiantly seal it with some high temp copper gasket sealant. A tube is real cheap at the auto part store.
Yes, there are pry marks on the outside of the case where the PO tried to remove the carb I imagine. They do not reach into the opening where the carb goes though.

I'll grab some copper RTV. Is there anything I can wrap the carb neck with to tighten up the seal as a precaution? I've thought of pipe tape and electrical tape, but I don't know how either would hold up.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.