R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-05-2011, 09:07 PM   #46
Tech Initiate
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 44
Default

EDIT: I got it working. I was pressing down on the starter deck at first, which wasn't applying enough pressure to the truggy. Then the rear of the chassis which still wasn't good enough. But I just found that pressing on the engine head applies more pressure and causes it to turn over just fine.

The rubbing was from the belt on the motor hitting the starter deck when it was fully depressed... probably not healthy for the box. I only did it briefly though so I don't think it did any harm.


Thanks again for all the help!
Redrawker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 07:42 AM   #47
Tech Elite
 
MotoGod's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Clayton, NC
Posts: 3,703
Trader Rating: 112 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to MotoGod Send a message via Yahoo to MotoGod
Default

That'll do it. lol I just push down on my glow ignitor when I attach it, but yes you need pressure to get it to spin. hehe Live n learn right?
__________________
Scott Pouliot
Current Race Rigs: TLR 8ight 3.0/3.0E/3.0T/22/22-4
==============================================
Thanks to my 2015 Sponsors: LutzRC, RadioPost, AKA Tires, RC Addition Products, Nitro Pro Fuels
MotoGod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 07:35 PM   #48
Tech Initiate
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 44
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoGod View Post
That'll do it. lol I just push down on my glow ignitor when I attach it, but yes you need pressure to get it to spin. hehe Live n learn right?
Haha yeah, I think my stupid questions are coming to a conclusion, finally.

I've gotten about 50% of my parts from my LHS, but I'm ordering the rest from Amain to save money.

Will an O'Donnel red (hot) plug work well with my Axial? It's suppose to be good for up to 20% nitro which is what I'm running, so I think I'm okay. But I don't want to have to add shims so I figured I'd ask.

And, will a 'D' Battery glow igniter cause me any issues? I like the idea of being able to put in a new battery in 30 seconds instead of waiting 4+ hours for it to charge.

Thanks for the help once again, I figured I'd ask before I spent to make sure I went with the right option.
Redrawker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 07:07 PM   #49
Tech Initiate
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 44
Default

Well I received the parts I ordered today and began reconstructing the truck.

I'm having a few problems though
1st the ring and pinion in the front are binding. It is only in one place on the pinion gear. I can rotate 360* forward and it binds at that point, then 360* back and its smooth until that same point. The gears don't appear to be damaged. How can I fix this?

2nd, I'm having a lot of trouble trying to get the plastic front bumper thing back on. It seems to throw everything out of alignment. I got it on, but I had to force it together more than what felt right. Is this a common problem with these trucks or am I doing something wrong?

Thanks again.
Redrawker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 08:44 PM   #50
Tech Master
 
nitroexpress's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 1,919
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redrawker View Post
Well I received the parts I ordered today and began reconstructing the truck.

I'm having a few problems though
1st the ring and pinion in the front are binding. It is only in one place on the pinion gear. I can rotate 360* forward and it binds at that point, then 360* back and its smooth until that same point. The gears don't appear to be damaged. How can I fix this?

2nd, I'm having a lot of trouble trying to get the plastic front bumper thing back on. It seems to throw everything out of alignment. I got it on, but I had to force it together more than what felt right. Is this a common problem with these trucks or am I doing something wrong?

Thanks again.
Perhaps your ring gear is not fully seated on the diff cup. Front bumper should slip on without drama.
nitroexpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 10:11 PM   #51
Tech Initiate
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 44
Default

Truggy is totally back together now and ready for action.

The binding was caused by a shim that was slightly bent getting caught on the output cup.

And the bumper was purely user error on my part.

I'll get some pictures this weekend.
Redrawker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 07:57 PM   #52
Tech Initiate
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 44
Default

Quick question about the engine head: how crucial is it that I rotate it 90? I attempted to remove the screws holding the head on with a cheap ball point allen wrench and broke the ball off in the screw. It is not wedged in there or stripped, but I cannot get it out.

I've tried using glue on the end of another driver to fish it out ( almost got it, but it slipped right before it was removed), tried a few gentle taps with a hammer to loosen it, tried using a magnetic driver to remove it, and tried to knock it lose with a drill but I haven't had any luck.
Redrawker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 06:29 PM   #53
Tech Initiate
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 44
Default

I know it's a foolish question, but I'm at a loss for how to remove this thing. Does anyone have any tips?
Redrawker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 06:37 PM   #54
Tech Elite
 
MotoGod's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Clayton, NC
Posts: 3,703
Trader Rating: 112 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to MotoGod Send a message via Yahoo to MotoGod
Default

Try a left-handed drill bit or some screw extractors if you can't get to the head of the screw. If you broke the head clean off....then you should be able to get the other 3 off and then lift the head off. Once it's off you can dremel a slot what's left of the screw and use a flat blade screwdriver to pull it out the rest of the way.
__________________
Scott Pouliot
Current Race Rigs: TLR 8ight 3.0/3.0E/3.0T/22/22-4
==============================================
Thanks to my 2015 Sponsors: LutzRC, RadioPost, AKA Tires, RC Addition Products, Nitro Pro Fuels
MotoGod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 04:25 PM   #55
Tech Initiate
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 44
Default

I've decided to use this thread to ask questions as I come across them.

MotoGod: Thank you for the help throughout this ordeal, you've made this much easier than it would've been if I were doing it alone.

Now, I was driving it yesterday around the yard to get a feel for it, and I noticed a few things.

1: the carb has some side to side play, even if the screw holding it to the engine block is snugged all the way down. Also, it has some major scuffs on it... looks like someone attacked it with a grinder or it got into a spur gear at one point. Is this something to be worried about?

2: Also, I stripped a servo horn. From what I read, this is normal and I just need to order an aluminum one. No biggy. However, my steering servo hums even when at rest. If I take the horn off it the humming stops. Any ideas on what is causing this or how to correct it? I tried messing with the epa already.

Thanks for the help evereyone! I'll post some pictures of the tear down and rebuild soon
Redrawker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 04:57 PM   #56
Tech Master
 
nitroexpress's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 1,919
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redrawker View Post
I've decided to use this thread to ask questions as I come across them.

MotoGod: Thank you for the help throughout this ordeal, you've made this much easier than it would've been if I were doing it alone.

Now, I was driving it yesterday around the yard to get a feel for it, and I noticed a few things.

1: the carb has some side to side play, even if the screw holding it to the engine block is snugged all the way down. Also, it has some major scuffs on it... looks like someone attacked it with a grinder or it got into a spur gear at one point. Is this something to be worried about?

2: Also, I stripped a servo horn. From what I read, this is normal and I just need to order an aluminum one. No biggy. However, my steering servo hums even when at rest. If I take the horn off it the humming stops. Any ideas on what is causing this or how to correct it? I tried messing with the epa already.

Thanks for the help evereyone! I'll post some pictures of the tear down and rebuild soon
1. Yes. Loose carb could give you an air leak.

2. Normal, especially with digital servos. Humming should stop if the vehicle is off the ground.
nitroexpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 05:05 PM   #57
Tech Elite
 
MotoGod's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Clayton, NC
Posts: 3,703
Trader Rating: 112 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to MotoGod Send a message via Yahoo to MotoGod
Default

Yeah definitely check that carb. It may cause an air leak like nitro said, or worse it could suck some dirt into the engine. The pinch bolt should be tight, but not heman tight on the carb. It should not wiggle or twist at all once the pinch bolt is tightened.

You're spot on with the servo horn. Get the Aluminum Hot Bodies Servo Horn. It's nice and tall to fit perfectly in there. That's a MUST HAVE upgrade on the D8T and the D8.

Sounds like you are on your way with it though man. How are you liking it so far?
__________________
Scott Pouliot
Current Race Rigs: TLR 8ight 3.0/3.0E/3.0T/22/22-4
==============================================
Thanks to my 2015 Sponsors: LutzRC, RadioPost, AKA Tires, RC Addition Products, Nitro Pro Fuels
MotoGod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 09:32 PM   #58
Tech Initiate
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 44
Default

Thanks for the info!

MotoGod, I am liking this chassis a lot. It is quite a bit slower than my Revo, but the low cg and acceleration make up for it. In addition, the mid sir control is amazing on the small jumps over ditches that I've dine thus far. All the skills I had previously are coming back quickly lol.

The carb seems fused to the engine... I have side to side play but it will not pull loose. Yes I have removed the screw holding it on. The reason the carb is scared up is from the PO trying to remove the carb with vise grips I bet.
A lot Is making sense now

Any ideas on getting the carb off without crushing it? Ive never seen one stuck like this
Redrawker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 10:04 PM   #59
Tech Elite
 
MotoGod's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Clayton, NC
Posts: 3,703
Trader Rating: 112 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to MotoGod Send a message via Yahoo to MotoGod
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redrawker View Post
Thanks for the info!

MotoGod, I am liking this chassis a lot. It is quite a bit slower than my Revo, but the low cg and acceleration make up for it. In addition, the mid sir control is amazing on the small jumps over ditches that I've dine thus far. All the skills I had previously are coming back quickly lol.

The carb seems fused to the engine... I have side to side play but it will not pull loose. Yes I have removed the screw holding it on. The reason the carb is scared up is from the PO trying to remove the carb with vise grips I bet.
A lot Is making sense now

Any ideas on getting the carb off without crushing it? Ive never seen one stuck like this
Slower than a Revo? What engine you got in there a .12? lol I had a Revo and it was quick....but my D8T would blow it's doors off with my B5 or my Alpha Plus in there!

As far as the carb issue.....have you tried heating it up? It may help....
__________________
Scott Pouliot
Current Race Rigs: TLR 8ight 3.0/3.0E/3.0T/22/22-4
==============================================
Thanks to my 2015 Sponsors: LutzRC, RadioPost, AKA Tires, RC Addition Products, Nitro Pro Fuels
MotoGod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 04:31 AM   #60
Tech Elite
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Posts: 3,022
Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)
Default

With the carb pinch bolt...just because you removed the screw, it doesn't always loosen up the two halves of the retainer. Thread the screw back in about half way, then GENTLY! tap on the screw head. This will seperate the two halves and you should be able to wiggle it out.
NitroOB4You is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
The New Werks B5 .21 Racing Engine Werks Offroad Nitro Engine Forum 9300 03-27-2017 05:54 PM



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 12:17 AM.


Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net