R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 02-28-2011, 07:51 PM   #1
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Unhappy Something changed and I suck now

Last year was my first year racing buggy and rc in general. I started out with a mugen mbx6 and a dx3r radio. With about 3 races left in the season I got really tired of Mugen prices on broken parts so I sold everything and bought a HB D8 and a MX11 radio. I have raced this winter with it and I am way worse then I was last year. Im trying to figure out weather or not its the radio or the buggy. The radios are very different and so are the cars. Any thoughts on what I should do? Stay with what I got or try new radio or new buggy? Thanks guys.
Hitec
Pro-line
Fatam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 08:01 PM   #2
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 104 (100%+)

everyone is different! I did a similar swap 2 years ago. Went from Mugens with M8 to Hotbodies with a DX3s. That change made me a better driver as the buggy and truggy suited my driving with more stability and I got that bulky ass M8 outta my hand. I even dabbled with associated, z-car, ofna hyper 9 and losi. I still run HB D8 and D8T but have stepped up to a 4PKS and love it. Its surprising how a radio feels in your hand can tweak driving tecnique as much as it does (for me anyway). Good luck
ROSCOE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 08:03 PM   #3
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatam View Post
Last year was my first year racing buggy and rc in general. I started out with a mugen mbx6 and a dx3r radio. With about 3 races left in the season I got really tired of Mugen prices on broken parts so I sold everything and bought a HB D8 and a MX11 radio. I have raced this winter with it and I am way worse then I was last year. Im trying to figure out weather or not its the radio or the buggy. The radios are very different and so are the cars. Any thoughts on what I should do? Stay with what I got or try new radio or new buggy? Thanks guys.
its not the radio... the buggy is where the problem may be. the mugen may of fit your style better... but IMO just work on setup and PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE! thats the only way you'll get faster... i see it time and time again, people think switching brands of everything will make them faster when if they would just stick with something and set it up properly and practice they would get faster. ... only way i got faster was a lot of practice and setup time, i was burning a gallon minimum everytime i was at the track for a few months to get faster...
Mugen MBX7 Eco / LRP / Airtronics M11x
jmaxey51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 08:03 PM   #4
Tech Addict

yes we are all very different.
Hitec
Pro-line
Old 02-28-2011, 08:07 PM   #5
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 45 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to boomgagem

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmaxey51 View Post
its not the radio... the buggy is where the problem may be. the mugen may of fit your style better... but IMO just work on setup and PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE! thats the only way you'll get faster... i see it time and time again, people think switching brands of everything will make them faster when if they would just stick with something and set it up properly and practice they would get faster. ... only way i got faster was a lot of practice and setup time, i was burning a gallon minimum everytime i was at the track for a few months to get faster...
+1 Jonathan. If you continue to switch stuff all the time, you will never get better. You need to pick a brand and run it awhile, learn the buggy, and then make adjustments that will help give you what you want the buggy to do.
boomgagem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 08:11 PM   #6
Tech Addict

Well I know that the D8 is way heaver than the mbx6 so I was wondering if I put all the lightweight parts on it and carbon fiber shock towers if that would help it out.
Hitec
Pro-line
Old 02-28-2011, 08:12 PM   #7
Tech Regular

[PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE!]

+1 on this
Old 02-28-2011, 08:17 PM   #8
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

I don't know about newer Spektrum stuff but older Spektrum stuff had much more latency than airtronics stuff. I ran airtronics all my life, got a Spektrum system and had the WORST year of my racing life. Switched back to airtronics and my skills magically returned.

You did the opposite, learned on the slower radio then switched to the faster. It may take some time to get used to it.
wingracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 08:29 PM   #9
Tech Initiate

it is definitely not the radio. I used to run a m11 and then I got tired of holding what felt like 50 pounds for 30min- 1 hour at a time. I switched to the dx3r with jr9100s and lipo receiver packs and I swear it seems like the wheels are turning on the car before I touch the steering wheel LOL. The radio is definitley as fast or faster than your m11 in my opinion. I personally drive mugen mbx6, mbx6t, and losi late model and I absolutely love my mugens. If they ever come out with an 1/8 scale nitro late model oval car, my losi will be on here for sale but oval is not as popular as off road and certainly not as much over seas so iI dont see that happening anytime soon. The mbx6 is a very stable car with the right setup and I have heard that d8 can be as well. But if you spend all that money on the lightweight parts then it will be just as expensive as the mbx6 in the long run. Remember, you get what you pay for.
Jethro14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 08:48 PM   #10
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

This has happen to us all who sale to try somthin new. Its happen to me alot trying to find that right car. Its all prefrence. I went from hb to mugen and got faster. Before that i went from losi to hb and got faster. All cars drive way diffrent and it take feel. Going from mbx6 to stock d8 is ganna take some getting use to. They are 2 way diffrent cars. All i can say is i loved the hb buggy and if i sell muen i know what im ganna run again.

Kyosho RB6 | Ko-Propo | Futaba | Turnigy | Orion | JC |

AE T4.2 | Ko-Propo | Savox | Turnigy | ProTek | JC |
NitroXray80809 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 08:51 PM   #11
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Quote:
Well I know that the D8 is way heaver than the mbx6 so I was wondering if I put all the lightweight parts on it and carbon fiber shock towers if that would help it out.
Dont spend money without atleast trying a few different setups. and no on the carbon fiber shock towers unless you have money just burning away.

Go to the D8 forum, post your setup and track style. We will try and help..
Proudly using: Spektrum DX4R, Viper-RC Electronics, Reedy Batteries, & Pro-Line
Cancer Sucks
willbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 08:53 PM   #12
Tech Elite

Send a message via AIM to porkchop Send a message via Yahoo to porkchop

wow sell one the top 3 cars out right now imo to run the big pile out you must lost your mind wow
Old 02-28-2011, 08:59 PM   #13
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

You have only been doing this a year? I thought much longer you seem to get around decent Well I can surely tell you it is not the Mohawk slowing you down. Maybe you need a killer moustache.

Chassis can come into play. The d8 may just not fit you style or the setup is way off. For us mere mortals adapting to just anything is not as doable. If you could then you would be pro!

Next time at the track remind me to let you drive my mugen. Will see if you feel anything different.
johnny t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 09:02 PM   #14
Tech Champion

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 195 (100%+)

Quote:
no, the car being heavy is what makes it stable and easy to drive. Is your setup in tune? Are you running the same tires the Pro Amain guys are running? What is your car not doing that you dont like?
Trevor Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 09:08 PM   #15
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by porkchop View Post
wow sell one the top 3 cars out right now imo to run the big pile out you must lost your mind wow
Real mature for a sponsored driver? Just because you didnt like doesn't mean it sucks.

Kyosho RB6 | Ko-Propo | Futaba | Turnigy | Orion | JC |

AE T4.2 | Ko-Propo | Savox | Turnigy | ProTek | JC |
NitroXray80809 is offline   Reply With Quote