R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 02-28-2011, 10:18 PM   #31
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatam View Post
Ok guys, same servos same everything but radio and buggy. the reason I thought it could be the radio is that the m11 wheel is much tighter and the throttle trigger is very tight. Much more so then the dx3r. I am not saying anything bad about the d8 it is a very durable and good car. I have done many different setups. Two of my good friends are sponsered HB drivers. They have worked with me a lot on setups.
you can loosen up the wheel and trigger on the M11... i have a friend that came from futaba and he said it was tighter but once he got used to it, he liked it more.... also if your new, the pro setups and HB drivers setups probably will not work for you, most setup theirs aggressively.... when i ran HB, not many people could run my buggy as well as i could, i liked it setup very aggressive, it couldnt be driven easy or it just didnt work. read the hudy setup guide book and learn what things will do and try different things ... i spent 2 days at the track just moving things around just to see what they did and learned a lot and now i can setup my buggies/truggies very easily because of knowing what the things do. it takes time, people need to understand that, you cant switch and expect the perfect setup instantly, it could takes months of testing before finding that "perfect" setup... hope this helps some.
Mugen MBX7 Eco / LRP / Airtronics M11x
jmaxey51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 10:22 PM   #32
Tech Champion

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 195 (100%+)

Fatam,

If the car and the radio isnt working out, perhaps try another for yourelf next time at the track and then make your decision as to what feels best, drive your friends cars/radios at the track, then drive them some more. You wont know what feel's right until you experiment and talk to the locals. It's a good idea to run what a few choice others are running simply to share a parts/setup base with someone at the track, someone more knowledgable than you that you can feed from. Good Luck in getting all this squared away, I hope you get back to having fun soon!

peace and cheers!

TW
Trevor Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 10:25 PM   #33
Tech Prophet

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingracer View Post
It has nothing to do with expo or other settings. It's all about latency. Some radios (even high end ones) have very high latency and some have very low latency and it does make a difference. Not so much in terms of one being better than the other as what you are used to.

Now in offroad, it isn't as noticeable. Only the top pros would really notice the difference, but that difference is there. Go 1/12th mod or 1/8th onroad racing and get good enough to compete for a mains against good comp. Try some different radios then and you WILL see the difference.

i race offroad and i can tell a diffrence lowering or making it higher on my 1/8 im no pro ethier.

on the throttle if its to fast and i lower it i can tell if it reacts slower on the steering also.
tc5 man is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 07:46 AM   #34
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to Integra

Quote:
Originally Posted by tc5 man View Post
i race offroad and i can tell a diffrence lowering or making it higher on my 1/8 im no pro ethier.

on the throttle if its to fast and i lower it i can tell if it reacts slower on the steering also.

As wingracer said, Race 1/12 then come talk to us about latency.
TNS Driver - Radio Post - Blue Groove Apparel - Team Panther - Hitec - Losi - W.E.D. Paint - Clockwork Fuel - Competition Heat - SUMO Racing - Tekin - Team Terribles - M2C Racing - Matrix Concepts - Kal Gard - BuKu Power - DE Racing -
Integra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 07:48 AM   #35
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

Quote:

Again, I'm not talking about expo as like you said, they all have that.
wingracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 09:08 AM   #36
Tech Master

Quote:
why would a radio make you a better driver inless you mess with your steering and throttle expos really ? and the basic steering trim , epa all radios have the same thing.

i been running my futaba 3pk radio for a long time yea its not the lightest but it feels like a radio not a toy.

i know not all radios have expo ive used cheaper controllers.
No, not all radios have the same thing. I just switched from a dx3r to an m11x and the m11x has far more features than the dx3r. Plus it doesn't feel like I'm holding a Traxxas transmitter. The m11x has ARC, ABS, and far more adjustments than a dx3r. I firmly believe a properly setup transmitter is as important as a chassis setup, if not more. There's a lot more to it than just adding expo.
Old 03-01-2011, 10:09 AM   #37
Tech Addict

Also the M11x has a personal menu feature allowing you to put the most common menu choices in it to keep you from having to scroll thru the entire menu options to get to the ones you use the most. Awesome transmiter.
Team Byrons Racing Fuels
pntmachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 10:13 AM   #38
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by pntmachine View Post
Also the M11x has a personal menu feature allowing you to put the most common menu choices in it to keep you from having to scroll thru the entire menu options to get to the ones you use the most. Awesome transmiter.
+1000

Im in love w/mine-just wish it wasn't so hard to find a case for it. And Airtronics latency is lower than Spektrum's 5.5ms-I believe it's at or less than 4ms.
Old 03-01-2011, 10:19 AM   #39
Tech Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZRC4Me View Post
+1000

Im in love w/mine-just wish it wasn't so hard to find a case for it. And Airtronics latency is lower than Spektrum's 5.5ms-I believe it's at or less than 4ms.
I don't trust the manufaturer's published numbers. I've had stuff that advertised blazingly fast latency times but I know from experience that they were BS.

From actual experience and talks with real experts, KO, Futaba and Airtronics all have exceptionally low latency times now. Don't really know anything for certain about the other current transmitters.
Old 03-01-2011, 10:28 AM   #40
Tech Prophet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Integra View Post
As wingracer said, Race 1/12 then come talk to us about latency.

look i know what i felt when i was racing .
Old 03-01-2011, 10:31 AM   #41
Tech Prophet

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZRC4Me View Post
No, not all radios have the same thing. I just switched from a dx3r to an m11x and the m11x has far more features than the dx3r. Plus it doesn't feel like I'm holding a Traxxas transmitter. The m11x has ARC, ABS, and far more adjustments than a dx3r. I firmly believe a properly setup transmitter is as important as a chassis setup, if not more. There's a lot more to it than just adding expo.

what i was saying was that most radios expect the traxxas radio and other cheap radios have steering trim, steering throw, dual rate.

traxxas radio does have dual rate and steering trim i usually throw my away
Old 03-01-2011, 10:33 AM   #42
Tech Prophet

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingracer View Post
Again, I'm not talking about expo as like you said, they all have that.

oh you must be talking about the module latencey like the speckum system yea i cant tell a diffrence im not that good lol.
Old 03-01-2011, 10:42 AM   #43
Tech Elite

Send a message via AIM to porkchop Send a message via Yahoo to porkchop

i belive the ko is the fastest now guys
Old 03-01-2011, 12:02 PM   #44
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatam View Post
Last year was my first year racing buggy and rc in general. I started out with a mugen mbx6 and a dx3r radio. With about 3 races left in the season I got really tired of Mugen prices on broken parts so I sold everything and bought a HB D8 and a MX11 radio. I have raced this winter with it and I am way worse then I was last year. Im trying to figure out weather or not its the radio or the buggy. The radios are very different and so are the cars. Any thoughts on what I should do? Stay with what I got or try new radio or new buggy? Thanks guys.
i dont believe its either the radio or buggy. its all in the set up. at the end of last season i was able to drive a mbx 6, the owner of it has the same driving style as i do. lots of throttle and drifting around corners whenever possible. i could not keep the car on the track and was way slower than i am with my ofna picco rtr(insert laughs and jokes here). does this mean the ofna is a better car than the mbx 6? heck no it simply means his set up for that car was way off for me even though we have the same driving style. in my short time racing or trying to race ive learnedthat no one can set a car up for some one else. try to pinpoint one thing u dont like in your set up and make one change at a time untill it gets better.then move on to the next issue.making only one change at a time. rememberthe car does not make the driver. the driver makes the the car. switching brands again will only start the headaches all over again. sorry i got a little long winded but tried to explain it the best i could with out giving people more to argue about instead of trying to find a way to solve YOUR PROBLEM. good luck
markkris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 12:21 PM   #45
Tech Lord

Quote:
oh you must be talking about the module latencey like the speckum system yea i cant tell a diffrence im not that good lol.
Exactly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by porkchop View Post
i belive the ko is the fastest now guys
From what I have seen and heard, it is. Really want to try one out but I just love my M11 too much to do it.