Wiki Posts
Search

Looking for a new buggy

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2011, 05:20 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)
Default Looking for a new buggy

I'm in the market for a new buggy. I've been driving a losi for a long time and have had nothing but problems finding a setup to suit my driving style. I can not seem to get a grip on a extremly loose rear. I've tried all kind of changes to settle the rear down, but with no luck. So what I'm asking is some advise on different buggys that seem to alittle easier to drive. I'm not the smoothest driver out there and maybe thats my problem with the losi. I'm not looking for answers like "I drive a mugen and it the best", looking for helpful info from people who maybe have drivin a losi and now drive something else. I'm also being open minded when it comes to brand.
Old 02-23-2011, 05:23 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 148 (100%+)

Ient from a Losi buggy to a Durango buggy and well I sold the Losi. To me the Durango steers more linear and less on edge. The Losi always felt nervous to me and the Durango feels more planted. I thinkthe Losi jumped better but the Durango wins in the corners and it is much easier to work on. Idk if I am faster with the Durango or not seemto be about the same but it is definatly more enjoyable to drive. Just my 2 cents.
Old 02-23-2011, 05:27 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Frank L
Ient from a Losi buggy to a Durango buggy and well I sold the Losi. To me the Durango steers more linear and less on edge. The Losi always felt nervous to me and the Durango feels more planted. I thinkthe Losi jumped better but the Durango wins in the corners and it is much easier to work on. Idk if I am faster with the Durango or not seemto be about the same but it is definatly more enjoyable to drive. Just my 2 cents.
I saw a few durangos at motorama this past weekend and they all seemed alittle loose. 2 of my friends were using them and one was having a real hard time with it. but then again we didn't get alot of trac time to see if we could get it dialed in.
Old 02-23-2011, 05:30 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 68 (100%+)

These newer cars are light and offer so much steering, the rear can become touchy on all of them.
While I don't own one, the Mugen seems like it may fit your style. It can be driven harder than most and they offer the overdrive gears that will put the power to the front and take it off the rear for those with a heavy finger.

I also had to learn and I can honestly say that most buggy drivers are using engines that are above there ability of driving.
A mild engine is all that's needed.
Old 02-23-2011, 05:37 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

I have driven Losi, Mugen and now JQ. Losi was too loose imo, but the Mugen can be put on rails. It can be difficult to find a setup that works for you, but once you find it, the Mugen is very aggressive. The overdrive gears do help and also lower diff fluid. Most guys run close to the stock setup which is 7-5-3, but I preferred 5-5-2. Now I have switched to JQ and loving it. It has tons of steering and can be ran aggressive of not. There are so many options on this thing it is ridiculous. It can go from aggressive to numb with the small change of moving the motor front or back. I am really digging this car. Just need to find "my" solid setup that works for me. Its just an option though, but don't rule it out. Its a winner. I haven't seen the Durango. I would like to get my hands on one, but just can't right now. Maybe soon though. Hope this helps.
Old 02-23-2011, 05:46 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Originally Posted by pballer2777
I'm in the market for a new buggy. I've been driving a losi for a long time and have had nothing but problems finding a setup to suit my driving style. I can not seem to get a grip on a extremly loose rear. I've tried all kind of changes to settle the rear down, but with no luck.
I had to go to 1K in the rear on some tracks, have you tried that yet? I still have my 2.0 and love it. I drive a buddys MBX6 all the time and love that one too. Just picked up a D8 Hara and I have to say, for the money you cant beat that buggy IMO. I'd say if you can, see if you can drive the MBX or the D-8 before you pull the trigger. I love the looks of the Durango too just very pricy IMO.
Old 02-23-2011, 05:52 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 148 (100%+)

The last diff setup I was using in my Losi was 5-5-5 or 5-5-4 and that seemed to tame the back down quite a lot Espically on loose dry tracks.
Old 02-23-2011, 05:59 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Frank L
The last diff setup I was using in my Losi was 5-5-5 or 5-5-4 and that seemed to tame the back down quite a lot Espically on loose dry tracks.
I found the opposite, I found a heavier oil in the rear on loose tracks spun me around easier. A lighter oil in the rear on a loose track let it unload a bit on the inside and allowed the front to pull it out. My .02 cents.
Old 02-23-2011, 06:05 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

I came from lieu and now wheel a kyosho think it os the easiest car to drive of the ones I have owned rc8b mugen losi xray zcar kyosho is very planted in the rear only prob. With the k car so far is the price of a new kit. But as far as driving goes I could not handle the losi was also to loose for me k car simply is planted
Old 02-23-2011, 06:14 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 74 (100%+)

http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...Road-Buggy-Kit
http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...Tires-Stickers
either one of these and you will be very very happy indeed
Old 02-23-2011, 06:16 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by got_nitro
I had to go to 1K in the rear on some tracks, have you tried that yet? I still have my 2.0 and love it. I drive a buddys MBX6 all the time and love that one too. Just picked up a D8 Hara and I have to say, for the money you cant beat that buggy IMO. I'd say if you can, see if you can drive the MBX or the D-8 before you pull the trigger. I love the looks of the Durango too just very pricy IMO.
i've tried heavier oil and lighter oil neither did the trick. i have come to the conclution that losi buggy just isn't for me.
Old 02-23-2011, 06:27 AM
Tech Addict

The 2 most stable buggys I have ever driven are Mugen and Hot bodies. The Mugen has a little more on power steering, but the D8 turns the tight off power corners on a dime.
My .02.
Old 02-23-2011, 06:31 AM
Tech Elite

Ive been in same boat. Honestly the 2 cars that suited me and honestly drove them selves it hot bodies and mugen. I dont see myself switching from mugen. It put a big smile on my face when hot bodies already had one there. Both cars are great best about hb was price and handled great. Best about mugen was its so darn easy to drive you can have a sloppy no set up car and it still ran like a champ.
Old 02-23-2011, 09:38 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Miniracer23
The 2 most stable buggys I have ever driven are Mugen and Hot bodies. The Mugen has a little more on power steering, but the D8 turns the tight off power corners on a dime.
My .02.

+1
Last year was my first year running nitro buggys. I went from a AE, to a Mugen, to now the Hotbodies. I have to say that the Mugen is a crazy easy to drive buggy that can be drove very hard. The only down side to me is that the parts are very very expensive. The pastic on them seem to break more then most other buggys so for a new or newer driver it can be very frustrating. I then went to try the HB and I have to say that 10 races into it I have still not broken anything on the buggy. Its a tank and drives great. I would recomend this buggy to anyone and everyone. Also the parts are priced right.
Old 02-23-2011, 09:43 AM
Tech Elite

serpent car has the most traction form the rear but still has monsters amounts of steering

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.