Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Looking for a new buggy

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2011, 05:08 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

We switched from Losi to Mugen and the first time out automatically drove well. The Mugen is so more planted int the rear.

We had the same problems you had so the switched happened. I dont think the Mugen is the fastest car but it suits our driving style for now.
Old 02-23-2011, 05:15 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Originally Posted by CJ Weaver
TX - On the '10 spec I really only had to replace small things like CVD pins and bearings. My recommendation is to stock up on CVD pins and bearings and wheel it. The nice thing about Xray is nothing ever breaks...it is more of a "do I want to replace that" kinda thing. After 10 months of running this buggy hard just about every weekend, the only thing that is showing wear and will need replaced soon are the pins in the driveshafts and the outdrives themselves. The plastic pieces have started to get a little sloppy, but it is still very tight (if that makes since). I think you will really like this car, especially since RC America is based in Texas and you will see quite a few time drivers down your way. Let me know if you have any more questions, PM me whenever.
Sounds like replacement parts hopefully won't be needed for a while.

Thanks for the input.
Old 02-23-2011, 05:31 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Originally Posted by dishsoap
We switched from Losi to Mugen and the first time out automatically drove well. The Mugen is so more planted int the rear.

We had the same problems you had so the switched happened. I dont think the Mugen is the fastest car but it suits our driving style for now.
For now? lol ur style change? Im liking the mbx series so far. Hows the cleaning btw?
Old 02-23-2011, 07:19 PM
Tech Rookie

7000 diff fluid in the front, 5000 in center diff, and 2000 in rear, make sure your ride hieght is at 27mm in the rear and 25 in the front. try that out it may help!
Old 02-23-2011, 07:38 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 66 (100%+)

I run a losi too, matter of fact between my son and I we have 9 rc cars that we race and all are Losi, so I am very brand loyal. But I have been having the same problem with 2.0, so I have been reading these forums and looking at and driving other cars for the last 2 months trying to decide what car to try next. I will say that the Mugen is one of the easiest cars I have ever driven, and is high up on my list, but I also liked the X-ray and it seems like everybody compares Quality and durabillity to the X-ray. I have also looked and thought about the JQ, Serpent, an Durango, and all have there pro's and con's but they all seem to get compaired to the X-ray for just how good they are, so I think I will just get what others are being measured up to. Now this is just my .02 based on my research over the past 2 months.
Old 02-23-2011, 09:05 PM
D8
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

You guys would be amaze with the performance and durability of the GS Racing CLX.. i let my best friend team HB at the track run my clx for 5 minutes during a race two weeks ago and he set the fastest lap time of the day the first time ever running the buggy..
Old 02-23-2011, 09:25 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Originally Posted by D8
You guys would be amaze with the performance and durability of the GS Racing CLX.. i let my best friend team HB at the track run my clx for 5 minutes during a race two weeks ago and he set the fastest lap time of the day the first time ever running the buggy..
Im ganna have to say, never really seeing this buggy with my own eyes(other then internet) it does look like a nice under the radar rig.
Old 02-23-2011, 09:55 PM
D8
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by NitroXray80809
Im ganna have to say, never really seeing this buggy with my own eyes(other then internet) it does look like a nice under the radar rig.
very under the radar! excellent parts quality and you wont find any slop around the susp parts.. the CLX could be very dangerous on the hands of a good driver..
Old 02-24-2011, 06:54 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

I have been down this path. Ran losi, mugen, serpent, durango, and drove rc8b, d8. Right now I still have the serpent and durango. Nothing so far has touched the serpent period. Lap times with it have been awesome, stability and durability to match as well.
Old 02-24-2011, 07:10 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

This is a great thread. Keep the real world experience with the different buggies coming!
Old 02-24-2011, 07:15 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

[QUOTE=bacchus;8703234]This is a great thread. Keep the real world experience with the different buggies coming![/QUO
that was my intension for this thread. to get true info to help me figure out was would b best suited for me.
Old 02-24-2011, 03:21 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by pballer2777
I'm in the market for a new buggy. I've been driving a losi for a long time and have had nothing but problems finding a setup to suit my driving style. I can not seem to get a grip on a extremly loose rear. I've tried all kind of changes to settle the rear down, but with no luck. So what I'm asking is some advise on different buggys that seem to alittle easier to drive. I'm not the smoothest driver out there and maybe thats my problem with the losi. I'm not looking for answers like "I drive a mugen and it the best", looking for helpful info from people who maybe have drivin a losi and now drive something else. I'm also being open minded when it comes to brand.
I drove Losi for the past 2 years. It was very good and I liked it when I had it, but I seem to be running a lot faster with my JQ car now. If you cannot handle a loose rear end, just move the motor back on The car. Makes it extremely stable and great for aggressive drivers. There are so many setup options to change on this buggy, I have barely stratched the surface, but it is good out of the box and even better with the weight back. To me, most other cars have a distinctive handling trait no matter what setup you try, but with THE Car it feels like a different car when you move the motor around or change setups, so it may be easier to find a setup you like. I drove the Durango and I liked it, felt really stable and a little heavy in my opinion.
Old 02-24-2011, 08:46 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

So I've noticed a slight trend in this thread and others--usually something along the lines of "the rear just didn't feel planted no matter what I did."

How many of the XRAY drivers have this to say about their buggies? (only because I am thinking of picking this buggy up)

Is this a matter of setup, or actual buggy design?

Thanks for the info
Old 02-24-2011, 09:19 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Originally Posted by TX_Punisher
So I've noticed a slight trend in this thread and others--usually something along the lines of "the rear just didn't feel planted no matter what I did."

How many of the XRAY drivers have this to say about their buggies? (only because I am thinking of picking this buggy up)

Is this a matter of setup, or actual buggy design?

Thanks for the info
all setup... drove a bunch of Xrays and they were loose as anything, thought it was just the buggy.... then i drove one that was setup correctly (Ryan Lopez buggy) and it was very planted and handled very well, felt like a whole other buggy... same with a losi, driven a bunch that were loose and then others wouldnt turn and others that worked well. i personally dont like losi, they dont fit my driving style but if set up properly, they arent loose.

setup is KEY! every buggy out now are great if setup right and setup for you. some work for you better than others, try to drive them and see which one fits your driving style best.
Old 02-24-2011, 09:29 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default Ok

I raced an Xray 808 the 08 edition for a long time, and it honestly felt planted in the rear. I havent driven newer versions, but the real reason I switched to the Mugen is just how great it soaks up the bumps and jumps. It can be driven harder and stay on it's wheels.....the shocks are longer, and the cvd pins last longer too....

Like previously stated it does take some time to set it up the way you want it, but the stock M spec setup is a great start....It is really planted in the rear, so I reduced the rear toe in to 2.75, not much change but combined with the oter changes I made It rotates really fast, but never feels loose or squirly, unless I have the wrong tires for the conditions.....

To be fair to other cars, any car can be set up to be planted in the rear, it just takes a little time to find the setup....

Like the JQ car, it has so many adjustments, it really looks awesome to dial in...

At the club level all the way to the top Mugen has proven itself with the MBX-6. I resisted buying a Mugen for years, then I drove an MBX-6......I say go drive a friends car....Get whatever ar you want, and then take the time to set it up....It's all in the setupppp......Tires, toe in, caster, camber, oils, pistons, springs, swaybars...

.My favorites from first to last...

Tires
Caster usually less
Springs
Shock oil
Shock pistons
toe in
diff oil
Swaybar.....You can put a thinner rear swaybar to give more rear traction...
thinner front for more steering...For example....

Al these things balance out the cars natural design tendencies....

the Mugen was too planted in the rear, but rolled in the turns...
So I put a thinner front swaybar
smaller front pistons to prevent bottoming out...with stiffer front springs...felt saggy..

Reduced toe in in the rear...avoided too much toe out in the front....
Lowered rear droop and ride height...Fixed rollover..
Moved front upper arms forward, reducing caster....Increasing steering......
Now it's balanced....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.