Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree1Likes

Setup Board and tools for 1/8 Buggy

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2011, 07:49 AM
Tech Addict

Default Setup Board and tools for 1/8 Buggy

Want to know should I buy a setup board and setup tools? I heard many people said setup in buggy is not critical as they are jumping around.
Old 02-22-2011, 09:08 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by ioxqq
Want to know should I buy a setup board and setup tools? I heard many people said setup in buggy is not critical as they are jumping around.
I used to use the hudy setup gauges, but recently switched to using an RPM camber gauge and a set of calibers.
Old 02-22-2011, 09:53 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

How good do you want your ride to handle? And where do these guys who say setup is not critical finish during races? Setting a buggy up is important, whether you need a setup station or not, that's up to you. A setup board certainly helps as well.
Old 02-22-2011, 10:32 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

You dont need a setup station. A good ride height an camber gauge and a digital caliper from Harbor Freight or the likes will take you a long way.

I own a setup station and it is nice to throw the cars on after a rebuild but I use those 3 items more than anything else.

Setup board- I had one made, it is handy when working off of inconsistent and un even surfaces.

If you have a flat work space then save that money also for tires.
Old 02-22-2011, 01:41 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

I've seen on here the Integy setup station works pretty good. For a fraction of the price of the Hudy.

http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...n-1-8th-1-10th

no instructions though.
Old 02-22-2011, 01:45 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I like the hudy would not trade it for anything in the world.
Old 02-22-2011, 01:52 PM
Tech Fanatic

for 1/8 offroad setup station is waste of money i have Hudy and used it twice. it is too time consuming for quick changes.

get any cheap plastic (RPM, LOSI) Camber and Ride height Gauge + digital calipers and a flat board
drew12000 likes this.
Old 02-22-2011, 01:57 PM
Tech Regular

Suppose you dont really need it, but I kinda like fiddling with it

Also always had difficulties getting proper toe readings on the frontwheels without a setupstation.
Old 02-22-2011, 04:31 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 26 (96%+)

do your research cause most tool are for on road cars.

http://www.genesisrcraceway.com/offr...%20boards.html
link above has the coolest buggy/ truggy set up board. let him know you got his link off RCtech. no discount with saying that just like to let him know where you saw is info.

also read this before you get everything. This was the BEST info for offroad set i have EVER read.
http://jq-products.com/the-news/43-t.../160-the-guide

hope this helps.
Old 02-22-2011, 07:53 PM
Tech Addict

For the setup board. Do you really need to have the rule on it?
Old 02-22-2011, 08:58 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

For the setup board. Do you really need to have the rule on it?

not unless you run a car with Pillow balls which a few 1/8 do use.
Old 02-23-2011, 12:46 AM
Tech Adept

I borrowed a friends Hudy set up station and Hudy set up board.

It is impossible to use, lol.

You make a change, move the car, check and it's all out of wack again.

There is just too much slop in a 1/8th off roader for it to work accurately. It helps to get you in the ball park, but I was just as accurate with a set of digital calipers and an RPM camber gauge.

The only thing the Hudy did that I can't do with anything else is the Caster angle, but as this is set by changing the inserts on the RC8, or fixed on most other cars, I don't see it is worth spending so much money for.

As stated earlier, set up is everything, but I don't think the set up stations are any more accurate than other methods for 1/8th off road.
Old 02-23-2011, 04:22 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I use my setup station at home. I check my base before going to a track and re-check when I get home to see where i ended up if I changed anything. At the track I use the RPM camber, losi ride hight, and digital calipiers. I do use a setup board just to make sure surface is flat. A setup station is nice, and does help, but I would get the other guages and calipers as well as a tire balancer first as you could do everything you really need for a great handleing ride.
Old 02-23-2011, 04:31 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 26 (96%+)

thats what i mean. 1/8 off road you might have a A arm out of wack and even if you have it set up right it might come out during a race. i go by the link i added. i would save the money and use a digital calipers, ride height and camber gauge and a set up board. i've seen alot of racers us thick plexiglass.
Old 02-23-2011, 09:18 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

A set up board, or some flat board big enough to hold your buggy or truggy is needed, IMO. Tables are all too often not flat, and when you take measurements from an unflat area you get incorrect readings.. The whole point to a set up station is being able to repeat your set up, if you flatten the car the same way each time then I cannot see how you aren't getting a repeated reading.. Granted slop does come into effect, but should be able to be dealt with..

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.