Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree1Likes

rc screws?

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2011, 05:47 PM
Tech Regular

Protek on amainhobbies are $1.99 packs of 10 screws plus they are 12.9 steel. That's what I buy the most.
Old 02-22-2011, 06:29 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Some guys are going to some industrial supply stores like granger any thoughts on that. It just seems that $2 is a lot for 10 screws.
Old 02-22-2011, 06:48 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 47 (98%+)
Default Screw Kits

Any Screw Kits for a DNX408? Tony's Doesn't seem to have one.
Old 02-22-2011, 07:03 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Originally Posted by BigAlz
So a titanium "screw kit" wouldn't make alot of sence. Cause there's only a few spots to use it. But I can still also think of alot of places it would be good. Just wonder if it would be worth the investment
Like I said, every screw in the top of my onroad cars are Ti or Al, while the under chassis screws are steel. Trying to keep that cg low.

Ti screws, while not as strong as a high grade steel equivalent are still quite strong and a good bit lighter. They are strong enough for probably 80% of the car's locations. But they are a bit easier to strip and offroad guys seem to love gorilla grips, gobs of loctite and cheap, worn out tools
Old 02-22-2011, 08:21 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 43 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Fatam
Some guys are going to some industrial supply stores like granger any thoughts on that. It just seems that $2 is a lot for 10 screws.
Lol. 2 bucks is crazy $$$ but on the flip side.. they have yo pay for the web site.. bags, labels, someone to bag and label.. staple it shut.. the staples. The stapler.. the water to flush the toilet when that workers uses the bathroom lmao. You get it. But that's tons of profit over their cost.
Old 02-22-2011, 08:51 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Ok smart a$$, What im saying is that if I need to buy a 15 to 20 different sizes of screws then now we are talking $30 to $40. If thats the case ill just buy the set of tonys for the d8 and be done. The reason I started this whole post was to see if anyone had any ideas of where to get this stuff way way cheaper. Ive seen them on ebay for $2 for 100 screws, the problem with that is I dont need that many of one. So $2 for 10 vs 100 is a big difference.
Old 02-22-2011, 09:19 PM
Tech Elite

Of course. Screws get cheaper in bulk. To put 10 screws in a bag takes the same time as putting 100. I do it all day long.
Old 02-28-2011, 07:29 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Originally Posted by wichitafc98
Any Screw Kits for a DNX408? Tony's Doesn't seem to have one.
Hi wichitafc98,

I'll have the DNX408 screw kit in stock later this evening as well as the other Team Durango kits and a ton of other new kits. My day job has been keeping me very busy. The wife and kids have consumed me as well. Wife just had a recent surgery, my son fell on his skateboard and busted up his head and then my older daughter goes out with her girlfriend who just got her driver's license and they crashed into a tree. Parenting....ughh!!!

I'm finally catching up with the new screw kits though.

As for Titanium, you can search these threads and ones on other forums. The topic comes up regularly. They are lighter, and resist rust like stainless, but are much stronger than stainless. High grade alloy steel is stronger there and much cheaper. Problem with Titanium screws is they are VERY expensive. You can usually get a lot more bang for your buck (or more weight savings) with items like: tires, rims, foams, body (you'd be surprised at how much lighter a good paint job is), motor, pipe, header, LiPo Rx pack, etc). Plus many of the Mfg's offer light weight aluminum options in some areas (such as alum steering posts instead of steel) or carbon fiber (such as shock towers). The Titanium screws, if used, should be used in low stress areas. They will break easier than high grade alloy steel. Also be careful using them in places you use thread lock. I so like Titanium turnbuckles. Stainless steel is much softer than Ti and high grade alloy steel. Personally, I have only used them when I ran my old T-Maxx in the snow. Or on bead lock rims b/c they looked nice and didn't rust.

Best regards,
Old 02-28-2011, 07:49 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I am gonna try some Hex Head AP Screws for my SC8 and RC8T when I can. I already have them in my Monster GT .21 from many moons ago and they work great and dont rust.
http://www.hexcrews.com/hexheads-a.p.-screw-kits-2.aspx

Last edited by mgtmadness2007; 02-28-2011 at 07:55 AM. Reason: added link
Old 02-28-2011, 07:56 AM
Tech Elite

Whats wrong with stock screws, do you guys really go through that many screws?
Old 02-28-2011, 08:17 AM
Tech Elite

Nothing is wrong with 90% of the crap we waste money upgrading lol
f1reblade likes this.
Old 02-28-2011, 08:19 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 207 (100%+)

Originally Posted by TonysScrews
Hi wichitafc98,

I'll have the DNX408 screw kit in stock later this evening as well as the other Team Durango kits and a ton of other new kits. My day job has been keeping me very busy. The wife and kids have consumed me as well. Wife just had a recent surgery, my son fell on his skateboard and busted up his head and then my older daughter goes out with her girlfriend who just got her driver's license and they crashed into a tree. Parenting....ughh!!!

I'm finally catching up with the new screw kits though.

As for Titanium, you can search these threads and ones on other forums. The topic comes up regularly. They are lighter, and resist rust like stainless, but are much stronger than stainless. High grade alloy steel is stronger there and much cheaper. Problem with Titanium screws is they are VERY expensive. You can usually get a lot more bang for your buck (or more weight savings) with items like: tires, rims, foams, body (you'd be surprised at how much lighter a good paint job is), motor, pipe, header, LiPo Rx pack, etc). Plus many of the Mfg's offer light weight aluminum options in some areas (such as alum steering posts instead of steel) or carbon fiber (such as shock towers). The Titanium screws, if used, should be used in low stress areas. They will break easier than high grade alloy steel. Also be careful using them in places you use thread lock. I so like Titanium turnbuckles. Stainless steel is much softer than Ti and high grade alloy steel. Personally, I have only used them when I ran my old T-Maxx in the snow. Or on bead lock rims b/c they looked nice and didn't rust.

Best regards,
Tony's stuff is hands down the best....period.