R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 02-20-2011, 06:15 PM   #1
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 26 (96%+)
Default 1/8 scale buggy and truggy tires

Is it a good investment to buy tire balancer are they easy to use. my main question is what do u balance them with i wouldnt think u would add weight? i was looking at the dynamite balancer
sahcamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 06:28 PM   #2
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Yes it's a great depreciating asset to buy, an investment makes money

One of the best things to have IMO. Yes, you would add weight to the rim. The heavier side will obviously eventually end up at the bottom, you would add counter weight to the other side which would be the top on the inside of the rim.
got_nitro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 06:33 PM   #3
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sahcamaro View Post
Is it a good investment to buy tire balancer are they easy to use. my main question is what do u balance them with i wouldnt think u would add weight? i was looking at the dynamite balancer
I modded a simple Dubro prop balancer, works great and cheap. I balance all my tires/wheels, even recheck them occasionally. Is it needed? Depends on who you ask, usually they dont need much weight but sometimes they need quite a bit. Find this to be true with all brands to. Its worth it to me but I also take maintanence to the extreme.
dragracechief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 07:02 PM   #4
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 45 (100%+)

Not sure how long you've had an 1/8th scale vehicle, collecting replacement parts etc.

But you can make a wheel balancer out of a rear hub, 2 rear hub bearings, an axle and a 17mm hex wheel adapter with nut.

Mine is made from Losi parts, but should be able to be done with most any brand.

To balance rim, I mount it, spin it slowly and gently shake the wheel (holding the hub). Gentle shaking helps overcome any drag the bearing grease may have and find the true heavy side of the wheel.

I mark the heavy side with a marker and place balance weight on the opposite side, then retest for balance.

I use lead tape used for adding weight to golf clubs and tennis rackets. Usually can find this at sporting goods stores. Last time I got it from a golf store.

Very easy to make. Very easy to use.
President of SCR (just outside New Orleans) - https://www.facebook.com/scr.raceway
vwduud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 07:30 PM   #5
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 94 (100%+)

+1 on the drubro prop balancer with a 17mm hex on it.
---Xray, RC America, Pro-Line Racing, FX Royal, Hudy, KO Propo, 92zero Designs, Vision Racing Products, RW-Mods, Team Loosenuts, forddesigns.net--- Big Thanks to: Wheel Brokers Track and Shop, Pine City MN~ "Stompy"
rider313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 07:33 PM   #6
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

I used to balance my tires, but I don't even bother anymore. In back to back comparisons, the difference is neglible if you have a good set of new tires and closed cell foams. If it made a big difference, wouldn't you see the pros balance their tires, in order to shave every tenth of a second off?

JQ Products, Pro-Line, TKO, Buku, Werks Fuel, Savox, A Main Hobbies, and Uncle Don's Hobbies
8ight-racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 07:39 PM   #7
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8ight-racer View Post
If it made a big difference, wouldn't you see the pros balance their tires, in order to shave every tenth of a second off?
The ones I know of do. I see a HUGE difference ESP. with Truggy tires.
got_nitro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 07:44 PM   #8
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 94 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by got_nitro View Post
The ones I know of do. I see a HUGE difference ESP. with Truggy tires.
Agreed. Drake even has a youtube video on it. Buggy tires the noticeable difference isnt as much but truggy tires oh man its night and day.
---Xray, RC America, Pro-Line Racing, FX Royal, Hudy, KO Propo, 92zero Designs, Vision Racing Products, RW-Mods, Team Loosenuts, forddesigns.net--- Big Thanks to: Wheel Brokers Track and Shop, Pine City MN~ "Stompy"
rider313 is offline   Reply With Quote