Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road
Would like to get into the sport. Where should I start? >

Would like to get into the sport. Where should I start?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Would like to get into the sport. Where should I start?

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2011, 10:10 AM
Tech Adept

Default Would like to get into the sport. Where should I start?

This isnt actually about rc cars, which I have been doing for quite some time, but motocross. I joined the off-road forums, but those guys suck and never respond, and rctech is like my family now, so for you motocross guys out there, here is my question:I am 16 years old, and have been riding off road ATVs since I was six(utility ones). Some of my friends ride motorcross, and it has always been something that i wanted to try. There is a track not too far away that has 4 different tracks for different levels of riding. Our neighbors park a camper up there and go practically every weekend during the season. I decided that this would be the perfect opportunity to try out the sport. Like i said, i have been riding off road vehicles since i was young, and know the basics of riding a dirtbike, but im not sure which area i should go into. Quads or bikes? I have more experience on quads, but i like the ideas of racing bikes much better. Which do you think is better for me? And where should i get started to get into the sport?
Old 02-18-2011, 03:41 PM
Tech Adept

My advice would be to find a motocross school in your area and book in for some training before you buy anything. They will usually have school bikes and whilst you won't be jumping in the air early on, they will teach you the very basics of machine control. If you don't know the basics, you will never get as good as you could be.
If you go on a school and enjoy it, you will than know what to do.
Personally I would choose 2 wheels, they are so much more of a rush.

Spend your money on good kit to protect yourself and you don't need anything more than a 125cc (Yamaha, KTM, Suzuki, Honda are all reliable and easy to get parts for).

Prepare for it to cost a whole heap of cash though, there is no such thing as cheap motor sport, look how much we spend on these toy cars
Old 02-18-2011, 03:44 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 64 (100%+)

Hows your parents health insurance???
Old 02-18-2011, 03:57 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

I have been racing motocross for alot of years now..But since my last crash i have decided to give up the racing end of it and help younger kids get better at racing..To be honest with you racing is alot of fun and i have alot of good friends for it but first off you have to ask yourself if its worth it?Ispent many summers in a wheel chair or in a cast or on crutches or just laying in the hospital..Its no fun man but i can also tell you that there is no rush like it.If spending your summers laid up and watching your friends have fun or if the pain is worth it than go for it.Not to mention bikes arent cheep..I was going threw a bike a year,plus rebuilding the engine at least 4 times a year rebuilding the suspention at least 3 times a year going threw a pile of tires every year,man the list goes on and on!!!But if its something your serious about send me a pm and i will help you out as much as i can over the computer or phone...
Old 02-18-2011, 04:29 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Im 31 now and i have had sport bikes, dirt bikes and a sport quad... im lucky to have never been hurt too bad. Lots of my buds that were into the same power sports.. and now 10-15 years later they are feeling it..

what about a side by side like a rhino?
just keep your hands and legs in at all times :
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xSJhk6gueAI&feature=fvst
Old 02-18-2011, 06:46 PM
Tech Adept

Well i think i would ride a 250, as i am a big 16 year old. im 6'1" and 210. Ill probably have to slim down too to start riding. My neighbors have plenty of bikes for me to use. They have 3 crfs, a 125, a 150, and a 250. they also have two 85 ktms, plus some pit bikes. Haha our health insurance is excellent. The track that I would be riding at has lessons which i can do as well, but most of my lessons would come from my neighbor. his son is 13 and is already doing 100ft jumps, so i am confident in his coaching capabilities. Probably the most advice i will need will be choosing a bike. Ill definitely start used. Ive looked on craigslist for some bikes in the area, and have found some nice bikes. probably go 06' or newer, so i think im looking at 3000-3500. My dad is the one who really wants me to get into the sport, so im sure he will help with the bills. I know its a big commitment, its something ive always wanted to do, but never had the opportunity. I will pm you MX for some advice if i really get into it. Just wondering, what are the best bikes out there? My neighbor says suzukis are more like su-suckis, KTMs (Kost Too Much), and was indifferent about yammies but he said that hondas are really solid great bikes. What do you think? And should i go 4 stroke?
Old 02-18-2011, 07:07 PM
Tech Master

I have both a yamaha yz250f and yz450f i think for someone getting into the sport the fourstroke is the only way to go.The 250f is a perfect all around bike..If you get one and decide motocross isnt for you,and would like to start trailriding,well you would have the perfect bike for that as well.Going 2 stroke you are either on the power or off,so they can be very difficult to learn how to ride,were a fourstroke you dont have to be on the power to get power if that makes sense..A 2 stroke you have to feather the clutch all the time coming out of corners and such,were a fourstroke just give it gas!!!A fourstroke has a much smoother powerband were 2 stroke is right now thats what i meant about on the power or off..As far as what brand man everyone has there own opinoin unless your a pro you will never be able to tell the difference they are all solid bikes these days just boils down to what color you want..Witch you can change with a cheep set of plastics
Old 02-18-2011, 07:23 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 118 (100%+)

Originally Posted by mx51
I have both a yamaha yz250f and yz450f i think for someone getting into the sport the fourstroke is the only way to go.The 250f is a perfect all around bike..If you get one and decide motocross isnt for you,and would like to start trailriding,well you would have the perfect bike for that as well.Going 2 stroke you are either on the power or off,so they can be very difficult to learn how to ride,were a fourstroke you dont have to be on the power to get power if that makes sense..A 2 stroke you have to feather the clutch all the time coming out of corners and such,were a fourstroke just give it gas!!!A fourstroke has a much smoother powerband were 2 stroke is right now thats what i meant about on the power or off..As far as what brand man everyone has there own opinoin unless your a pro you will never be able to tell the difference they are all solid bikes these days just boils down to what color you want..Witch you can change with a cheep set of plastics
While I agree with you on 4 strokes....they are also a LOT more $$$ to keep race ready. Someone just starting out...I would recommend a used 125 2 stroker really. They are dead simple to work on and rebuild.....they have decent power on tap but won't be as much as the current crop of 250Fs.....they will also teach you how to ride a little better when first starting out. At least in my opinion anyway.... 4 strokes make you a lazy rider ;-) I know....I did the swap back in 2003 and was LOVING it, but I turned lazy. Pull holeshot...shift to 3rd....ride in 3rd as long as possible. Lug it...rev it....whatever ya need!

I think my main reasoning for recommending a 2 stroke to a new entry to the sport is cost though. Yes you will be down on power, but once you learn to ride it....you will keep right up with the C Class without a problem at all. Heck...if you can keep it on 2 wheels...you will blow right by 80% of the C Class anyway. My only concern with a 125 or even a 250F is you're 6'1" and 210lbs. That's big to race in the 125/250F class. I was always a bigger guy in the 125 class as well back a few years...so it's not a HUGE concern...but you will be ready to move up to a 250/450F in a year or so without a doubt.

Anyway...that's my 2 cents. You can't go wrong with either a 2 stroke or a 4 stroke....but the 2 stroke will cost you less to try out the sport for sure.
Old 02-18-2011, 07:46 PM
Tech Master

I deffinetly agree with you a 2 stroke is way less to maintain for sure..And only the fraction of the cost to buy including parts and all,but they are also alot of work to ride and its no fun when you have fourstrokes blowing by you dont matter how fast you go threw the gears,and gets worse on a true motocross track where its up hill down hill!!!
Old 02-18-2011, 08:09 PM
Tech Adept

So do you think i should look into a 450f, or a 250? My neighbors 250 is a 2 stroke so ill ride that and see how the powerband feels with a big rider like me.
Old 02-18-2011, 08:25 PM
Tech Elite

Assuming you're not a new rider...and know how to semi-control a bike...then a 250 2 stroke will be just fine for you. Just remember these words....

"Do not ever twist the throttle in anger.....the bike will hurt you"

On a 2 stroke 125 or a 250F you can get away with it...on a 2 stroke 250 or 450F it will hurt you. hehehe

Honestly...whatever bike you can afford AND work on....will work just fine. You're going to start in the C or D class, depending on what your area has anyway. You could ride a clapped out mid-80s bike and still be competitive since EVERYONE (except maybe the top 5) are still learning how to ride and race properly. Most guys are slow and erratic anyway in those classes. If you can hold your line and ride smart....it doesn't matter what you ride. You will pass most of them assuming you don't get tired and catch your tongue in the spokes. hehe

Both have pros and cons.

125/250 - 2 stroke
-Pros: Cheap to Buy, Cheap to maintain, Quieter than 4 strokes (Hard to believe right?)
-Cons: Down on power compared to 4 stroke, Clutch gets used more, Tired you out a bit more

250F/450F
-Pros: GOBS of power, Easy to ride
-Cons: Cost a small fortune to rebuild, hard to maintain

There are more pros/cons I'm sure....just depends on YOU really. If you have access to try different bikes, do it and see what fits you. Whatever you choose.....it's a family sport just like the RC community. Close knit...no matter who you are....
Old 02-18-2011, 08:28 PM
Tech Elite

Oh yeah....and here is a video for you. Think a 2 stroke can't be fast? Here is a video of Jimmy Decotis riding a CR125 last November at a local track where I used to live. I watched this kid grow up from 50s to Pro. VERY VERY fast!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ISQpYz7s6sk

Now wipe the smile off your face...and go find a bike to ride
Old 02-18-2011, 08:45 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by MotoGod
Oh yeah....and here is a video for you. Think a 2 stroke can't be fast? Here is a video of Jimmy Decotis riding a CR125 last November at a local track where I used to live. I watched this kid grow up from 50s to Pro. VERY VERY fast!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ISQpYz7s6sk

Now wipe the smile off your face...and go find a bike to ride
DID HE JUST QUAD A TRIPLE ON A 125?! *rewind* HOLY **** that guy is fast.

well i think ill go with a 250f. for my height and weight and level, i think it will be a solid all around bike. I just found this on craigslist...good deal? Seems like a great buy. 5 hours since rebuild, 07'. sounds like a keeper.
http://annapolis.craigslist.org/mcy/2153941119.html
Old 02-18-2011, 08:46 PM
Tech Adept

http://frederick.craigslist.org/mcy/2181609242.html
a little older but looks in great shape.
Old 02-18-2011, 09:11 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 94 (100%+)

I can see your looking into hondas. Persinally if you are going to buy a honda i would go no older than an 2007 for the earlier models have problems dumping valves.

Take it slow. learn how to corner for that is were all of the time is made on the track., Jumping will come second.

And make sure your parents have GOOD health insurence. Trust me. Last year was my last year racing moto. While going for my pro lisence I got hit and broke my Right femur, knee cap and foot. Thank god i had POD knee braces on or i wouldnt have a knee. But i have 80% health coverage and i am left with $3000 in bills. Not to mention i just got done paying the bills for my Torn ACL the year before and broken ankle before that. It is a fun sport but at one point you have to realize is racing worth it. I just ride for fun now and help coach for the team i used to ride for.

If you do go for it dont skimp out on the gear ie: Good boots neck brace and A great helmet. Have fun.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.