Wiki Posts
Search

Tire Chart

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2011, 12:09 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default Tire Chart

Ok I put together a little tire chart. My biggest challenge in rc is having the right tire for the track and the conditions of the track....

From Loamy wet to hard and dry....

Crossbrace Soft Loamy Wet Dirt
I Beams Soft
BowTies M3
City Block Soft
Calibers M3
Enduros Soft
Digits Green
Revolver 2.0 M3
Recoil M3
Ultra Digits Green Hard Clay (Dry)

Let me know what you think, and add whatever you like....
Old 02-12-2011, 12:39 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

At the tracks we have over here, we never get beyond Calibers.
Old 02-12-2011, 01:04 PM
Tech Master

I'm usually using City Blocks and/or Calibers around here. Once in a while if it's hot enough I'll go up to mediums, and if the line is REALLY clean, AKA Gridirons or presumably PL Snipers.
Old 02-12-2011, 03:30 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 58 (100%+)

I'd stick JConcepts Crosshairs (blue) right between the Soft Cityblocks, and M3 Calibers.

I use Calibers or Crosshairs 90% of the time on my truggy.
Old 02-12-2011, 04:43 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 46 (98%+)

i use super soft grid irons almost exclusively. i will switch to soft if it is going to be a long main on a hot day.
Old 02-12-2011, 05:15 PM
Tech Addict

JConcepts Tires
http://www.jconcepts.net/files/JConcepts_Tire_Guide.pdf

Pro-Line Tires
http://prolineracing.com/images/imag...e_1-8Buggy.pdf

AKA Tires
http://images.amainhobbies.com/image...re%20Chart.jpg

I really like the JConcepts chart because it kind of breaks down the track surfaces for you. They have a few new tires that might not be on the chart yet, but they are both small pin tires. My opinion is to find a few tires that you feel comfortable on all the time and try to stick with those. I used to try a different tire every time I ran, but then I realized I had way too many tires that I will never run or will never work on the tracks I usually run on. For me I like to run JConcepts Crossbows or Subcultures when it is loamy, Double Dees V2 and Hybrids when it is grooved, and Sevens and 3Ds when it is wet/clay. As for compound, I always run Soft or Super Soft compounds because it never gets too hot in the Midwest. Unless track temperatures are over 90ºF I stick to the softer compounds. I will only run a Medium compound tire is the track is extremely abrasive, over 90ºF, or for a long 45 minute main. I've found I can stock up on those tires and pretty much be set. I have other tires unmounted just in case, but for the most part you will find me on those tires.
Old 02-12-2011, 09:36 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

what exactly is loamy conditions? New to the off road

thanks
Old 02-12-2011, 09:44 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by forrestboy
what exactly is loamy conditions? New to the off road

thanks
When the track is damp but there is still a lot of loose powder on top.
Old 02-13-2011, 12:48 AM
Tech Elite

Default Cool

In texas the same track will change so much in one day of racing, and we have am indoor clay track all the way to a loamy outdoor track, and so it helps to have a wide range of tires.

I tend to stay away from Gridirons and other small pin tires because they get torn up so fast, some of the newer tires hook up great on clay and still have plenty of tread that will last. I dont stick to any brand, whatever works great and lasts is what I buy.

For example. I love the I beam premounts, esp in damp loamy conditions, and if the track is a bit drier I go to the calibers, they really hook up at the river track I race at...That track is loamy usually, but it has a cement turn that doesn't really like I beams or city blocks, so the calibers stay on unless it's super wet.....

On another track Vertigo the I beams only work on wet conditions and the calibers usually don't, the track has more clay mixed in dirt and the line gets hard but still has enough loose dirt to mess up a set of small pin tires....the digits or enduros are the ticket there when it's dry, and maybe the revolver 2.0's, havent tried those...but in the main at night when the moisture comes up and it gets loamy the I beams always work...

Now on the clay track (Mikes) it can have a few dry spots and the small pin tires may work, but usually only when it's wet, if it dries out the Recoil or Revolvers or the Ultra digits work best......the dust makes small pin tires suck, and burn up....A few years ago the gridirons and hole shots were the ticket, but right now, if you look around you can get tires that will last way longer than the classic small pin tires and still work great, and more consistently.....

My point is that having a range of treads is the most cost effective way to hook up....Don't buy every compound tire, get what works in your temp range and focus on treads from large bowties to smaller denser pattern pins insead of really small pins that burn up......and like I said, no tire line covers all the areas, so don't be afraid to try different brands....

And one track can change fast here...During the day it can be 100 degrees and dry as a bone, and at night get really wet from watering or rain in the summer, and moisture too....Under the track...Durin the winter it's not really cold, but can get close to 30 degrees sometimes. It can be dry and cold, the toughest condition....I find the soft or m3 compounds work best, or blue in JC.... year round...so tread is the important factor, and besides if you have a good collection of tires, they last longer because they get used less.
Old 02-13-2011, 10:48 PM
Tech Apprentice

Maddog if you have the bowties on, then ride the wall so you don't spin out on the concrete. Lol!!!
Don't forget about crimefighters...
Old 02-16-2011, 10:42 PM
Tech Elite

Default I know

You are right Janke....Crimefighters. I havent used them in so long, and they didn't have them in m3 back then...that was my first race tire....It was the first race tire I think....Good call man...

I addd a few suggestions..

From Loamy wet to hard and dry....

Crossbrace Soft Loamy Wet Dirt
XBT
I Beams Soft
BowTies M3
City Block Soft
Crossbows Blue
X-Cons
Crimefighters
Crosshairs Blue
Calibers M3
Subcultures Blue
Enduros Soft
Shotgun
Digits Green
Hit Men
Impact
Revolver 2.0 M3
Blockhead
Square armor
Recoil M3
Ultra Digits Green
Double Dees
Kingpin Hard Clay
Sevens
Gridirons Soft
Holeshots
Barcodes

Last edited by merdith6; 02-16-2011 at 11:01 PM.
Old 02-17-2011, 07:54 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 148 (100%+)

I like the Proline sniper tires for outside when the line cleans up but my go to tire for the buggy is the Losi eclipse it handles almost any track surface wet dry hard packed or loamy. I use the red compound and then when Ot gets cold the green. If you need a little more steering then I run the Losi xbt's up front and eclipse inthe rear.