R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 02-17-2011, 02:03 PM   #16
Tech Prophet

Quote:
Originally Posted by vwduud View Post
I am still operating under the notion that 1/8 scale offroad racing "eats" bearings (at least wheel bearings).

As a result, I keep a supply of $1.00 bearings (usually Avid Revolutions - rubber shield one side, metal shield on the other) on hand.

Weekly PM is to inspect and replace ANY bearing that feels questionable (NOT smooth).

I got curious one day to try and determine whether or not a "gritty feeling" bearing was due to dirt infiltration or bearing damage (balls, races, etc.).

I removed both shields to be able to thoroughly clean the bearing. After numerous sprays with chemical degreasers and compressed air, I felt fairly convinced that all grease and any other foreign material was gone.

The bearing still felt "gritty" or just not smooth; no different from when the seals were still on.

I stopped there and just assumed ball or race damage due to the high impact the wheel bearings go through during a race on these MX still tracks we have today. On another note, the diff bearings (both outdrive and pinion) last noticeably longer, even though they attract the same, if not more dirt around the bearing seals. Seeing as they do not take the impact that wheel bearings do, I suppose this makes sense. The test I performed above was on a wheel bearing.

So my conclusion is to still keep $1.00 bearings on hand, viewing wheel bearings as disposable items.

I have wanted to try a more expensive wheel bearing just to see if they last any longer. My only experience with ceramic has been replacing the diff balls in my 1/12th scale with ceramic. In that test, I didn't notice any longer life than standard, so I have refrained from trying this in 1/8th scale.

Has anyone done this type of test to determine if you get at least 5 times the life (average) out of a $5.00 ceramic wheel bearing as compared to a $1.00 bearing? Until it's definitive that I can get at least 5 times the life (hopefully more) out of a more expensive bearing, I will stay with the $1.00 bearings. Which in most cases, I get more than 2 club level events on these bearings. Longer on tracks with less MX style jumps (less crashing, harder landings, etc.).

Your thoughts?

on 1/8 buggy the rear hub bearings actaully last with the rubber sealed bearings and thats with plastic hubs from my exprience.

now it also depends on what kind of cheper bearings you have also some are better and last longer than others.

on truggy i whould say get alum rear hubs my smaller bearings in the rear hubs never seemed to last.

i been told on here that cermanic bearings for offroad arent worth the money and require more attention.
tc5 man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 03:38 PM   #17
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 40 (100%+)

AVids are the ONLY bearing to put in a r/c car. How many other manufacturers can say WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP? the best in the business,hands down.
rcmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 06:19 PM   #18
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default Avid

I like the rubber sealed Avids the best, but the revolutions seem to last longer in the clutch, go figure....
Old 04-05-2011, 12:37 PM   #19
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 25 (96%+)

so do guys use steel in the clutch and ceramic everywhere else?
endy0430 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 12:45 PM   #20
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I've tried a set Of Boca ceramics with mixed results. For diffs they were great, I could notice they were smoother. For wheel and clutch bearings, they simply didn't last that much longer than a 1$ Avid revolution bearing. One even fell apart on me while inspecting them after two gallons, the outer races simply broke in three pieces. They cost me 5 times more, but only lasted twice as long. Not worth the money.
Old 04-05-2011, 01:24 PM   #21
Tech Elite

Avid......................
Old 04-05-2011, 02:41 PM   #22
Tech Addict
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

engine bearings- tko ceramic, clutch bearings are tko special clutch bearings, avid revolutions everywhere else.

insanity takes it's toll...please have exact change
bpalmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 04:38 PM   #23
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 148 (100%+)

+1 on the TKO special clutch bearings they usually outlast the clutch shoes and I like the TKO $1 rubber seal bearings everywhere else. The TKO $1 bearings always outlasted the Avid Revolution bearings. The TKO's would still be good when I went to change diff oil at 1 gallon and the avids were usually done. And Peter Martin (TKO owner) is one hell of a guy, he has the customer service to back his product. Not saying others dont, but Peter defiantly does.
Frank L is offline   Reply With Quote