R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 02-17-2011, 10:35 AM   #31
Tech Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnacvols View Post
How would I know if the lipo is discharged below a safe level or the battery is at 60-70%?
To start out, the alarm would be the safest way to prevent going below that 3.6v mark.
Get yourself a decent lipo charger that has a built in balancer. I can highly recommend Hyperion chargers. I picked mine up from amain.
With a good charger/balancer you will be able to maintain the lipos for a long life. The balance function will show you the voltage of each cell and also youll be able to set a charge capacity setting of 60-70% for storage if you not going to use the lipos for a week or more.
I run 4s 5000mah in my starter boxes with no voltage alarm, but I dont run the lipos down in capacity very far. I can run all day using the starter boxes and not even use half the capacity in the lipos. At the end of the day I just throw them on the charger and check them to make sure.
If you know your not going to run again for a week or more than simply hook'em up to the charger and charge to 60% or discharge down to 60%...whichever way.
But definately invest in a decent lipo and charger/balancer. Might run a few bucks more up front...but it will be money saved down the road.
FOXC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 11:48 AM   #32
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 50 (100%+)

Ooooooh ok I see now. Thanks for the input
tnacvols is offline   Reply With Quote