R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 02-15-2011, 09:42 AM   #16
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyboy View Post
I am not sure of them yet. You are adding 32 grams of rotating mass to your car! That is a lot no?
Yes it is!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMorgan View Post
The average 1/8 buggy today seems to run between 3500 and 3600 grams. 32 grams is about 1/16 of a pound. Assuming a buggy weighing 3500 grams, adding EVO wheels is about a 1% increase in weight overall (0.91%). I don't think it'll be a huge deal. You could probably add that much easily by running on a muddy track. Granted it's rotating mass, but if it makes my tires work more effectively, I can deal with a slight reduction in acceleration... most 1/8 scales have more than enough power nowadays anyway.
You are forgetting that adding 32 grams of rotating weight is the same as adding 128 grams of chassis weight when it comes to the load on the motor (adding/removing 1 gram of rotating weight is the same as adding/removing 4 grams of chassis weight) and everyone knows that that much added chassis weight is a very bad thing. I'm sticking with the AE wheels for my MBX6 because they are only 33 grams a wheel (AKA wheels are 35-36 grams) and are stiffer and cheaper than the AKA wheels so its a triple bonus in by book.
NCS Custom Paint Works
Nick411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 10:20 AM   #17
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

I think the ratio is more like 2:1 due to inertial effects in the wheels:

http://www.audiworld.com/tech/wheel13.shtml
Old 02-15-2011, 12:31 PM   #18
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZRC4Me View Post
I think the ratio is more like 2:1 due to inertial effects in the wheels:

http://www.audiworld.com/tech/wheel13.shtml
Interesting, Scott Hughes sais 4:1 and this sais 2:1, i think the 4:1 is a generic ratio for any rotating weight (ie. drive shafts, axles, etc.) Still, adding 64g of chassis equivalent weight is going in the opposite direction all the companies are going these days, lighter cars. Unless they can give me .5 sec a lap i can't see them going on my car.
NCS Custom Paint Works
Nick411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 12:42 PM   #19
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

True, I hear what you're saying. I think there are some times though that a lighter car won't handle as well as a "heavier" car, i.e. a rough blown out track. I've used them on smooth tracks and rough and I like them better than the black foams in both cases. They're more dead than the blacks (lower spring rate) and I feel like this helps the overall platform be a little more consistent. Just my $.02.
Old 02-15-2011, 09:08 PM   #20
Tech Addict

Send a message via AIM to Jesse Robbers

I have tried these wheels out of curiosity to see if there were any differences of benefits to adding the wheel stiffeners. I think the wheel stiffeners do not make the wheel stiffer or only a very small amount which was difficult to notice. I think the wheel discs primary use is along the lines of preventing dirt or mud from collecting inside of the wheel....if the wheel collects 10g or more of dirt that is. The wheel discs add about 10g per wheel, which is a lot and effects the handling of the car a lot. I have also tried wheels that were of different weight (7g or so per wheel). The weight of the wheel makes a big difference. Generally heavier wheels make the car easier to drive, car is less aggressive, more overall rear end grip, more consistent lap times, but the car might be slower. Lighter wheels free up the rear end a bit, especially at lower speeds rotating the car and on-power steering, car is more twitchy or aggressive entering turns, more difficult to drive which can cause more mistakes or crashes resulting in less consistent lap times making your overall time slower.
Sponsored by: O.S. Speed, KO Propo, Sidewinder, Tekin, Thunder Power, Lunsford, Skipgear.com, Fioroni, Avid R/C, GMK Supply, Competition Heat, Dialed Inc., LiveRC.com, DE Racing, CIG2O, ANDROID Nitro Runtime Calculator App
Jesse Robbers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 10:18 PM   #21
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

AKA - world champion...
HB - second place...

Perhaps hara would have been 1st if he was running aka. as he would have made less mistakes from having the heavier wheel.
Painy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 06:23 AM   #22
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Painy View Post
AKA - world champion...
HB - second place...

Perhaps hara would have been 1st if he was running aka. as he would have made less mistakes from having the heavier wheel.
Exactly. Weight does one thing.....makes your car heavier (I know pretty smart huh!) I'm pretty sure the World Champ saw the advantage. People can argue all they want about extra weight.....bla bla bla. Try them out and see if your lap times improve...very simple. If you don't like them, remove the inserts and you are good to go again.
Old 02-17-2011, 09:49 AM   #23
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Has anyone tried the Evo + Inner Dish on indoor clay?
tromoly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 10:18 AM   #24
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by tromoly View Post
Has anyone tried the Evo + Inner Dish on indoor clay?
Yes, we ran them at CRCRC and Cody liked them. He had the fastest laps, so I think they worked. We go strictly off lap times. If it makes him faster, then to us it's good.

Let me give my .02. I don't agree with everything Jesse said. I feel the wheel is quite a bit stiffer with the disk in place. (if you want to see something crazy stiff, try gluing them in!) When we were in Pattaya we tested the wheels back to back with and without the disks. Cody came off the driver's stand saying, "way better." He doesn't say that often so to me it meant a lot. If it wasn't better, we wouldn't have run it, plain and simple.

On the weight deal, I don't think it matters at all. One entire wheel assembly weighs 120 grams, you think you will notice 7 more? On top of that, the disk spins true, it's part of the wheel, and some of the weight is nearer the axle, which makes a big difference. The tire and foam weighs 75 grams, it's at the farthest point away from the axle, and it's flailing all over the place when it gets spun up. JMO... with all that going on, you won't notice 7 grams per wheel in rim weight.

Last edited by pitpop; 02-17-2011 at 01:59 PM.
pitpop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 03:28 PM   #25
Tech Adept

Well truggy tires still weights much more, i dont think 7gr will make any difference at all..
ELAD .Z. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 04:17 PM   #26
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 45 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to boomgagem

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitpop View Post
Yes, we ran them at CRCRC and Cody liked them. He had the fastest laps, so I think they worked. We go strictly off lap times. If it makes him faster, then to us it's good.

Let me give my .02. I don't agree with everything Jesse said. I feel the wheel is quite a bit stiffer with the disk in place. (if you want to see something crazy stiff, try gluing them in!) When we were in Pattaya we tested the wheels back to back with and without the disks. Cody came off the driver's stand saying, "way better." He doesn't say that often so to me it meant a lot. If it wasn't better, we wouldn't have run it, plain and simple.

On the weight deal, I don't think it matters at all. One entire wheel assembly weighs 120 grams, you think you will notice 7 more? On top of that, the disk spins true, it's part of the wheel, and some of the weight is nearer the axle, which makes a big difference. The tire and foam weighs 75 grams, it's at the farthest point away from the axle, and it's flailing all over the place when it gets spun up. JMO... with all that going on, you won't notice 7 grams per wheel in rim weight.
I believe what you are saying pop, but let's be honest. Even if you guys ran the rims, and they made Cody 1 second slower each lap, you would still promote them, right?

Regardless, I've got 2 sets on the way. I will mount a set of Enduros on them, and I'll get another set of Enduros on a standard rim. I will report back after the PNB and share my opinion. Again, personally I think they will work great.
boomgagem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 05:50 PM   #27
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by boomgagem View Post
I believe what you are saying pop, but let's be honest. Even if you guys ran the rims, and they made Cody 1 second slower each lap, you would still promote them, right?

Regardless, I've got 2 sets on the way. I will mount a set of Enduros on them, and I'll get another set of Enduros on a standard rim. I will report back after the PNB and share my opinion. Again, personally I think they will work great.
No this is the thing with AKA... the would have not made and mass produced the product if it didnt work.. thats what month and months of testing is for.. to prove its a good product and then pass this into the consumer.

AKA dont make things that are a gimic.
Painy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 06:12 PM   #28
Tech Master

I know this sounds corny, but painy is pretty much right. We did test and test, but still, at the Worlds, it wasn't a sure thing. If it wasn't better, we were not going to run it I can assure you. Either something is good, or it's not on the car for the final at the Worlds, period. If I wasn't convinced they were better, I was prepared to run without them and tell the guys at AKA "sorry." ... but the truth is we really like them, and we did run them. We were swapping the wheels back and forth all week, and even did it in semi warm-up, and they were clearly better with the disks. If after all my long winded explanations, if you still don't believe me, you deserve to be slower. just kidding, don't kill the messenger!
pitpop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 06:32 PM   #29
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 45 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to boomgagem

No like I said I know you guys wouldn't run anything that wasn't faster. No reason to run something that could or couldn't cost you the title. I just know you guys are sponsored by AKA (Well deserved I might add) and even if the product wasn't better than previous models, the point is to sell them.

No I don't want to be slower! LOL

That's why 90% of the tires/rims/inserts I run are AKA. I may use a JConcept tire every once and awhile, but mainly AKA. I believe in AKA stuff, thats why I have 2 sets coming now to try them. I've never really had a problem with the standard wheels, but anything new and improved is a plus!
boomgagem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 11:13 PM   #30
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

AKA is ran and owned by some of the brightest in the business. Mark Pavidis, Gil Losi, Jr., and Joel Johnson. I don't think they would make anything that didn't work. Pitpop said it himself. If they didn't work they would have told AKA sorry. Feel any rim and notice how the inside gives. Try some Evo Rims with the inserts and notice how stiff the inside is. You will notice a difference.
Bernarossi is offline   Reply With Quote