Wiki Posts
Search

looking for good rc travel bag

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2011, 02:54 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Default looking for good rc travel bag

looking for rc travel bag to take on airplane any ideas ?
Old 02-12-2011, 02:56 PM
Tech Apprentice

I have seen a lot of people use Ogio bags that are made for dirtbike gear.
Old 02-12-2011, 08:34 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 28 (97%+)

Question is how much gear are you bringing and is it going to be carry on or checking in? If your checking in i'd find a hard case bag that you can strap the stuff in sorry in advance to people that work on the airlines but everyone isnt careful with bags just a thought!

Last edited by secondhand_rc; 02-12-2011 at 08:36 PM. Reason: made changes
Old 02-12-2011, 11:16 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

i would have to agree with secondhand rc you cant trust anyone with your gear!!!get hard cases....
Old 02-13-2011, 05:37 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 40 (100%+)

I actually started looking for a bag I can checkin. The hudy hauler does not take the abuse the baggage handlers dish out.

Any suggestions would be welcomed. I am looking for a roller bag. Motocross bag may be a way to go

Keen to hear what others use
Old 02-13-2011, 06:12 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Stanley 50g tool chest.

http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1...atalogId=10053.

it is the best in my opinion, I have been using one for the last 3 years, it carries all my stuff, and serves as a pit chair.
Old 02-13-2011, 10:24 AM
Tech Addict

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Contico-St...Locker/2476189

I've only had two worthy of airline travel. One is something you can, or could, get from Wal-Mart for $20. I think now there have a different version of this case that could be worse or better??? The same box can be found at The Container Store for $50-$60. It's black plastic chest, the top opens up using two chrome generic steel latches. This is available with and without wheels, the wheels like always lock up or break. This box doesn't break apart, it could get a crack or split but it's OK. It's tough enough for airline travel, it's the max size allowed for checked bags. It's the lightest container that you can use safely for airline abuse. The bad is the latches can pop open easily which happens on airlines. You don't need locks on your box, but zip-ties help to keep the lid closed if the latches come undone and tape additional zip ties to the inside of the lid if the airline needs to open it to search your box.

The Ogio bag is good, really good, it's $200 or so, ouch, and it's 4-5lbs heavier than the wal-mart box. The 4-5lbs isn't much difference to our backs, but it's a world of difference when packing for airline weight restrictions (50lbs) and 4-5 lbs can be a good bit of r/c stuff. The Ogio bag has some hard corners or edges on the inside, so it can break plastic parts boxes if you don't pack your stuff correctly. It kind of ends up being too big almost on the inside. You'll reach the weight limit before the bag seems full to where things are packed snugly.
Old 02-13-2011, 04:26 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 28 (97%+)

I use a 30" swiss gear travel case when I fly not rc stuff but even my luggage makes the raise a eyebrow went looking online saw some 30" hard case with wheels for $40-60 not bad? I like the cases above though they can be used again for races and stuff