Wiki Posts
Search

Clutch Opinions, new to 4 shoe?

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2011, 09:59 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)
Default Clutch Opinions, new to 4 shoe?

I'm in the market for a new 4 shoe clutch, but really have no clue what is good and what isn't. I need something that will work in a Mugen MBX5T, running a Picco P3-28. I prefer snappier engine response, so I'd like something that doesn't have a steel flywheel or marketed as smoothing out the acceleration from heavier flywheel weight, but whatever is the general standard for a .28 is fine. I guess I should say I'm looking for engine response similar to what a Mugen standard 3 shoe 34/35mm flywheel provides. I know alot of people run alot of different clutches, but I'm mainly looking for a "I run this and it's good and works well, and I know so and so that runs this and it also works well" type of replies, so I can get a general idea of what is good based on group opinion.

So far I've come up with....

Werks Racing "Light" Pro Clutch, which uses an aluminum flywheel (which I want), 4 shoes, and assembles easily. They also directly say it will work in the MBX5 series, which is good because in my experience the clutch bell has to sit farther back to properly mesh with the spur, and so far only the factory Mugen 3 shoe clutch has put the bell in the right place for me. http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...-Clutch-System

Ascendancy Racing Effortless Clutch, also uses an aluminum flywheel, 4 shoes, assembles easily, and they specifically say it has 7075 shoes. However, they don't say it will fit any Mugen cars at all.
http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...lutch-Kit-34mm

I've left M2C out of this for the fact that I like the design of the Werks and Ascendancy (how easy they are to put together), but if M2C is really that good please chime in and let me know. I'm open to any opinions.

Also, I believe all of these systems use a standard bell, right? I couldn't find anything in the product description that said they required a special clutch bell.

Thanks!
Old 02-12-2011, 10:59 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 86 (99%+)

I run the M2C four shoe variable its a awesome setup and easy. It gives you all the standard adjustments plus more your able to adjust the weight pending on track conditions. His shoes also last forever MED with 1.0 all the way around.

Call him > Mitch M2C if your curious.
Old 02-12-2011, 11:03 AM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

werks are great!
Old 02-12-2011, 11:51 AM
Tech Regular

I noticed the M2C one on A-Main where you can add the set screws to adjust the weight, which I like, could possibly just match it's weight to my 3 shoe setup.

EDIT: How well do the M2C shoes bite/grip? Will just going from 3 shoe to 4 shoe be a noticeable difference in bite in general?
Old 02-12-2011, 02:30 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 114 (100%+)

I run the Ascendancy in both my MBX6 and MBX6T. I run a Steel flywheel in my buggy and the aluminum one in my truggy. Both easy to work on, last a really long time and their customer service is great. Werks makes a great product also, and Ron is a top notch guy. Really don't see how you could go wrong with either.
Old 02-12-2011, 02:51 PM
Tech Apprentice

Werks has the best customer service in the business along with great products......
Old 02-12-2011, 03:04 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 86 (99%+)

Originally Posted by tgrand
Werks has the best customer service in the business along with great products......
Old 02-12-2011, 03:08 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 59 (100%+)

the name says it all "WERKS" nuff said
Old 02-12-2011, 03:35 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Im running the Werks pro lightweight and an ascendancy vented bell. Very snappy and puts a lot of power to the ground in my D8T. Even with their B5.

Sorry no mugen experience so i dont know how well it will line up? You may have to try a few different collets if it doesnt...

The beauty of a 4 shoe is that you can set it up where you want it, different combos of shoes and springs can put you where you want. I ended up using the 4 aluminum shoes it came with and the 1.0 springs are working great for me.

People were suggesting to me the medium flywheel to "smooth" it and get better economy. For me it was just as easy slowing the throttle side of the servo down on my radio...
Old 02-12-2011, 04:32 PM
Tech Regular

Those of you running the Werks clutch, what kind of life are you getting out of the shoes? I'm hesitant about the Werks clutch because they don't say what grade of aluminum their shoes are. I'd prefer 7075 ones, as they don't glaze the bell like softer aluminum shoes do. Do any other brand of shoes fit the Werks clutch?