Community
Wiki Posts
Search

heavy truggys vs light truggys jumping wise

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2011, 09:24 PM
Tech Prophet

Default heavy truggys vs light truggys jumping wise

ok do heavy truggys jump the same as lighter truggys i know heavyer truggys are most likely more stable and can be driven harder.
Old 02-11-2011, 09:30 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

IMO lighter truggies are better across the board. Truggies are heavy vehicles in general. While heavier buggies may be more stable than lighter buggies, I don't believe that applies to truggies. The lighter the better(within reason).
Old 02-11-2011, 09:35 PM
Tech Prophet

Originally Posted by JAMMINKRAZY
IMO lighter truggies are better across the board. Truggies are heavy vehicles in general. While heavier buggies may be more stable than lighter buggies, I don't believe that applies to truggies. The lighter the better(within reason).

well see though i race on a rough bumpy blown out track thats why im thinking a heavyer truggy whould suit me better.

i , have a light truggy as you know a eight-t 1.0 with the flex chassis and you can drive it somewhat hard but its not the stableness on the track sometimes.

the reason why i think i whould like a heavyer truggy better is because you can drive it harder.

doesnt it depend on the driver though ?

and no i dont have enough cash for a eight-t 2.0 lol.

but really its seems like truggys that are heavyer like the rc8t or odonnell truggys seem just as competive.
Old 02-11-2011, 09:43 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 94 (100%+)

Well put. I feel the manufacturers should look into unsprung weight on truggies.
Unsprung weight is everything not suspended from the shocks. So simply put everything past were the shock ties into the arm. So the hubs, the wheel hex's and the wheel and tires. In motocross manufacturers found by reducing unsprung weight that it made the bike feel alot lighter when riding it then when it was actully weighed. Such as more maneuverable and agile.

So by making lighter wheels tires and foams i feel that would make a huge difference on how light the truggies felt while driving. On a buggy this would be less so for there really is alot less unsprung weight then a truggy.

Thats just my 2 cents.
Old 02-11-2011, 10:26 PM
Tech Prophet

anybody else ?
Old 02-11-2011, 10:40 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

light truggy, heavyish buggy .... however the OD truggy feels light when driving it so handles very nice and stable and will turn on a dime with the buggy radio tray... the RC8T feels like a brick, hard to drive and very unresponsive IMHO... D8T was nice also for a heavy truggy... mugen is a nice truggy too... dont like losi one bit, but thats driving style and/or setup
Old 02-11-2011, 10:44 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Originally Posted by rider313
Well put. I feel the manufacturers should look into unsprung weight on truggies.
Unsprung weight is everything not suspended from the shocks. So simply put everything past were the shock ties into the arm. So the hubs, the wheel hex's and the wheel and tires. In motocross manufacturers found by reducing unsprung weight that it made the bike feel alot lighter when riding it then when it was actully weighed. Such as more maneuverable and agile.

So by making lighter wheels tires and foams i feel that would make a huge difference on how light the truggies felt while driving. On a buggy this would be less so for there really is alot less unsprung weight then a truggy.

Thats just my 2 cents.
Unsprung weight and rotating mass are the two most important factors. Overall weight makes a difference, but if you can cut the unsprung weight and rotating mass you WILL see improvements.

Like I said, truggies are already heavy. Not to mention truggies super stable as it is. Less weight is less to accelerate, slow down, turn and accelerate again. The lighter the better.

Some people may like heavier buggies because they stay more planted and are more numb to inputs, but truggies are a whole different story. When properly setup even the lightest truggies can be driven much harder than any buggy.
Old 02-11-2011, 10:45 PM
Tech Elite

Unsprung weight and rotating mass are the two most important factors. Overall weight makes a difference, but if you can cut the unsprung weight and rotating mass you WILL see improvements.

Like I said, truggies are already heavy. Not to mention truggies super stable as it is. Less weight is less to accelerate, slow down, turn and accelerate again. The lighter the better.

Some people may like heavier buggies because they stay more planted and are more numb to inputs, but truggies are a whole different story. When properly setup even the lightest truggies can be driven much harder than any buggy.
+1
Old 02-11-2011, 10:47 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

On your truggy it's not the light weight, it's the length..that's making it hard to drive when you push it, what I did was buy a 2.0 chassis off eBay and a rear center drive shaft, I then bought Losi axel extenders so now my 1.0 is the same length and width as a 2.0 for under $100..I have since done a full conversion, but it's really no faster now..
Old 02-11-2011, 11:09 PM
Tech Prophet

Originally Posted by jmaxey51
light truggy, heavyish buggy .... however the OD truggy feels light when driving it so handles very nice and stable and will turn on a dime with the buggy radio tray... the RC8T feels like a brick, hard to drive and very unresponsive IMHO... D8T was nice also for a heavy truggy... mugen is a nice truggy too... dont like losi one bit, but thats driving style and/or setup

are, you talking about the first gen "rc8t" or the "rc8t champ ed" because i hear the opposite from guys ive talked to when i raced offroad indoors they said the "stock setup" on it was responsive and not hard to drive really and had great steering and turn in.

these are guys who ran a 2.0 t and a tamiya truggy .
the only thing they did was change the rear diff oil to 3000 and lighter shock oil.

i am just a club driver not a pro

oasis : i ran 1/2 hubs with 0 offset wheels on the 1.0 t .

Last edited by tc5 man; 02-11-2011 at 11:23 PM.
Old 02-12-2011, 12:08 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

I will agree that Truggies are heavy by nature,

But it seems that some MFG.'s have a better handle on where the weight is and is not on the chassis. I drove the D8T, and for what is looked at as a heavy truggy, it felt much lighter on the track to me. The Losi 2.0 truggy I think is one of the lightest if not the lightest turggy on the market and it shows. The drive train is very free, meaning has less rolling resistance than some other truggies. That has to be a help. Add in the optional light weoght parts and the rotational mass is reduced helping more.

I like the unsprung weight idea. Makes sence to look at on a truggy.

I have the RC8T CE and I will agree that some days it feels like a pig on the track. Other days it feels perfect. I suspect that may be a setup and driving issue, but it could stand to be on a diet in places. Wish they had more light weight option parts for the drive train though. Light weight spur gear would probably be a hot item. They do have the light weight out drives for the buggy that can be used on the truggy, so that would help some. I used the alum center axle cups and axle stubbs. It helped, but the truggy is hard on those parts and I broke two stubbs off.
Old 02-12-2011, 05:10 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

As what Jammincrazy said. The lighter the truggy would be better in my opinion. I know my MBX6T is quite a bit lighter then my 8ight-T 2.0. With my Mugen I do have keep track of my weight going into and out of it because it wouldn't take much for it to be under weight for RC Pro Rules. The weight of it is over the weight limit, but with some Proline Wheels and a couple light weight parts, I would have to add weight to be legal for RC Pro. My Losi would easily be over the weight limit without a problem, but compared to some truggy's it is definitely lighter.
Old 02-12-2011, 06:38 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by tc5 man
are, you talking about the first gen "rc8t" or the "rc8t champ ed" because i hear the opposite from guys ive talked to when i raced offroad indoors they said the "stock setup" on it was responsive and not hard to drive really and had great steering and turn in.

these are guys who ran a 2.0 t and a tamiya truggy .
the only thing they did was change the rear diff oil to 3000 and lighter shock oil.

i am just a club driver not a pro

oasis : i ran 1/2 hubs with 0 offset wheels on the 1.0 t .
drove a few champ ed truggies, felt heavy and didnt turn when driven hard/faster ... but they do turn compared to the 2.0 and tamiya, those two truggies have to be turn totally different than other truggies.
Old 02-12-2011, 07:06 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

The 2.0 does lack off power steering, but makes up for it with on power steering.
Old 02-12-2011, 08:10 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

have 2 friends one has a mbx6t and the other has a rc8t ce and the difference in weight is ounces , tc5man just pick a truggy and thats it everyone has opinion's about different ones but until u drive each of them u wont know what u'll like.......if u can only afford a certain truggy u have to get that one if u want to save up and get a better one then do that if u have to miss the spring season do that and save for the fall .....it's all about ur driving style and what ur more comfortable with ...........

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.